Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros:
  • "Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Long hours, death march, not good time management on projects"
    in 47 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

EA is a potentially great company, but with the number of re-orgs it is hard to move forward.

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

ProsGenerally great people to work collaborate with on projects. People are very passionate about their work priorities, when priorities line up great things happen.

ConsThere is not a lot of room to grow without changing locations. For the most part people are good, but certain teams have a tendency to not plan ahead and be so far behind that everything they send out becomes a firedrill for the other teams. When they shoot off their firedrill they have no empathy for the other teams who have their ducks in a row or other priorities.

Living the dream.....

Associate Artist (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI get to work with fantastic and talented people, on exciting projects and, with a stocked kitchen.

ConsI feel very underpaid as compared to some of my peers and though they do offer RSUs i don't feel that makes up for trying to live with my current wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your workforce appropriately.

Very professional company, with a bit too much politics going on. Slow to move to new markets.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProjects you work on are among the bigger ones in the industry.
Engineering processes are pretty good (depending on the team you are on)
Benefits and campus

ConsPolitics
Career path, when you reach senior level, gets very limited.
The only option tends to work on massive projects. Very few opportunities to work on small projects that try to innovate quickly. That might change with the push to go to mobile.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teams. Most top level managers (VP, GM's) are always behind the trends in the industry. One the other hand on the game teams, people tend to know what concepts are working out there. Get their feedback and ideas!

Great place to work if you love gaming

Development Director II (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, very talented and fun to work with.
Good work life balance
Lots of opportunity for career advancement if you work long and hard enough
Lots of opportunity to move around internally if you are willing to relocate

ConsIt is the game industry, can be very unstable

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they are doing the best they can given the industry ups and downs and twists and turns.

Great place to work, even as it was going through some growing pains.

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked with many amazing, smart and focused people who were all on the same page about getting the job done. Amenities were great, and I was provided enough autonomy to focus my efforts where I felt they were needed.

ConsEA is going through changes and the growing pains were evident. Additionally, the multiple levels of management and overall segregation of departments and teams made some work difficult to accomplish.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you've got the right people in the right places and things will go fine. Don't focus on titles or you'll fall back into the crazy amount of management-levels. And employ more RFTs and less contractors (on the non-development side).

QA Director

QA Director (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for less than a year

ProsFun company, lots of travel, great campus.

ConsVery policitical and lots of backstabbing. It's about who you know and who you're friends with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on getting work done and less on keeping the harmony.

Learning Experience At Electronic Arts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Staff! Co-workers are hard working, fun loving and spirited individuals.

ConsSenior management in short sighted personally motivated and relatively inept.
Employee evaluation process is the most dysfunctional event I've ever seen next to Gulf War.
Culture and values have decreased in significance and attention since the 2002. Stock value 25% of it's former self as is the senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk Vivian McDonald to leave the company. Yesterday!

Senior Network Engineer

Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat team and manager. Fun projects and very diverse technologies you are exposed to. Lots of potential for building out a state of the network for the best games in the world. Pay is decent if you're in Austin.

ConsNo where to go from here. Not not many opportunities for promotion. Hiring is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementImmediate and local management are great. The executive team in California needs improvement. Recent changes though keeps us hopeful

Very fun place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, very innovative and creative

Conschallenging organization to navigate and manage

Satisfactory. A 'safe' job.

Concept Artist (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work life balance at our studio is very nice. I very rarely have to work overtime or long hrs. The day schedule is very flexible and accommodating.

ConsProjects ambitions are always focused on the lowest hanging fruit. Despite our company value of 'being bold,' we are never. Innovative, fresh, visionary, are all adjectives that don't apply here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a great job of perpetuating a safe complacent harbor. Unfortunately it's not enough. All the best talent is continually migrating out into more ambitiously creative studios.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electronic Arts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson. All 674 reviews posted anonymously by Electronic Arts employees.