Electronic Arts Reviews

Reset
3.7
Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very good for the game industry (in 34 reviews)

• That coupled with the passion for what we are doing makes for a wonderful work environment (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • EA STILL has no concept of work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• long hours without reasonable compensation (in 52 reviews)

1. Thankful for the opportunity to work at EA

Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

EA is a brand that is well known throughout much of the world. This is in part due to their consistency in releasing great titles each year. The company employs experienced professionals from the gaming industry as well as develops future employees through their internship program. Innovation and creativity are encouraged and are a part of the corporate culture.

Cons

It seems that EA experiences a high level of attrition and has had numerous reductions in workforce during my tenure. They should continue to work on solving these problems because more often than not, employees enjoy being a part of EA and don't want to leave - by choice or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis and focus on your employees. Acknowledge and recognize the hard work each individual and team puts forth. A simple sign of appreciation can go a long way.

2. Graphic Designer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. Fun to work for.

Cons

The contract for work ended to soon.

3. Product

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Great team structure with the resources and platform to succeed on next gen platforms. C-level execs are thoughtful about the business and strategic in direction of the company in an extremely competitive space

Cons

All things with a large company with multiple layers of management. To be great will get you so far but also need to be thoughtful in relationships and within corporate

Advice to Management

Great leadership with opportunities to grow. They are thoughtful in promoting from within and allowing great people to grow with brands.

5. Software Engineer 3

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good benefits - employee stock purchase plan, discounts at company store, IRC (a place where you can check out games or movies for free for a week, which really helps you keep up to date on games and research games that you wouldn't normally buy) * Organized process - production staff is good at running teams efficiently and communicating across teams, as well as maintaining task schedules and making sure deadlines are transparent and well communicated to the team * Strong mentorship culture - I always felt like I had a clear go-to senior engineer for mentorship, and the mentor was spent enough time to help me grow in the technical skills that would allow me to proceed in my career path

Cons

* Top-down management: I often felt that game designs were handed down to me to be implemented to a spec, as opposed to feeling like I could be part of a creative process. Attempts to improve upon the spec were not impossible to get designers and production to buy into, but I never felt rewarded for doing so. It was generally more rewarded to deliver work on schedule than to actually deliver fun gameplay. * Professionalism - depending on what team you are on, you may run into team members that act kind of frat boy-ish. On the Sims team, there was a shipping tradition that the team called "Forties to Final" where team members drank way too much alcohol to celebrate shipping a finished expansion pack. It used to be conducted during work hours and in the same offices where you worked, which was a little uncomfortable if you didn't want to participate. I think this kind of culture may be just on the Sims, and if you are on a different team the experience may vary. * Poor work life balance - When the game is close to shipping, you should expect to live at work for several months to a year. My team had a policy that when we were close to ship, you had to be at zero bugs everyday before you went home. But sometimes bugs came in late in the day that could take up to a whole day to fix. That basically meant you couldn't go home that night. I have no idea how that policy was fair.

Advice to Management

EA's methods are pretty efficient at games on time and on budget that are just high enough quality to sell and make money, so I feel like from a business perspective EA is actually pretty strong. And you will be treated with respect relative to other game companies that exist in the industry. But I do think EA's talent good produce better games if the culture rewarded building fun gameplay in addition to hitting deadlines.

Great company but depends on the group

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Amazing campus * Talented and smart collegues

Cons

* Management is going nuts with the cost saving by not hiring enough people.

7. Poor creative leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks, gym, cafeterias, benefits, 401k, salary

Cons

Creatively misguided, Long hours, unpaid OT for staff, very political, lots of busy-work

Advice to Management

Reduce the meetings, reduce the number of managers, put creative heads in charge of the art, take producers out of creative reviews

8. Avoid at any costs

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts (More than a year)

Pros

Great office layout and people.

Cons

Management was always tending to make people leave the company by not increasing salaries, promotions were being done using the nepotism "method", all benefits were cut in order for the company to save money, though only our team was generating a revenue of 20-30million USD per year, this was done in order to increase the share price, plus a forced resignation to move as a contractor.

9. Incredibly Fun Place

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers a creative atmosphere, with props, artwork and game consoles everywhere. Excellent modern facilities, with fountains and a lawn which use recycled water. Great benefits, like choice of health care tiers and providers, 401k, stock options, free video rental, free EA video games and more.Overall good vibe, people are very nice and you feel like you're part of a community.

Cons

The game industry is volatile. Your product has to succeed in a big way, and your job could be at stake. There's a lot of employee and team transfers, between studios and cities.

10. Great place o grow

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work Amazing technologies Full of smart and passionated people The new CEO is fantastic

Cons

Not enough collaboration between different departments Some work from a department to another is replicated

11. Great Place To Work

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, team building

Cons

The company took a hit and scaled back.

Advice to Management

n/a

Showing 195 of 1,022 reviews