Electronic Arts Reviews in Redwood City, CA

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 38 reviews)

• There are long hours at times, and there are usually cuts at least once a year (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unique place to work

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Highly creative and diverse team of people creating innovation. Very driven at the same time fun place to work.

Cons

Really not much I can think of. It's ideal for people who enjoy rapid changes, some amount of uncertainities.

Software Engineer EA Digital Platform

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of place to grow, try new things, and make a concrete impact.
    The teams are very young and the initiative of creating a digital platform is still fairly new.
    A lot of freedom and trust is given to the engineer

Cons

As a Large company, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate things and we often end up doing some work that already been done before.

Best experience of my life... also the worst at times.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is an unbelievable amount of talented and creative people at EA. Great benefits. Loads of fun building cool games that millions of people all over the world enjoy. The people who voted EA "worst company in America" should move out of their mom's basement. :) I mean really... we beat out Bank of America and any number of oil companies!

Cons

Silos within the company mean wasted resources due solving the same problems over and over and over. Poor management and leadership at all levels. Poor work / life balance at times due to poor project/time management failure. Middle management bloat.

Break down the silos... facilitate communication and learning among the studios. Give all employees an opportunity to have their voice heard.

Excellent career opportunities, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very entrepreneurial culture where you can make a lot of your own opportunities and really stretch yourself, and the company is really driving new creative programs. Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about games and it's a very creative group of people. Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and speak up if they have ideas or opinions. Nice perks as well.

Cons

Teams can be very focused in on their own work and not as willing to collaborate across teams to make things happen.

Cool but challenging

Former Employee - Information Technology in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, "cool" factor of working for a gaming company, great campus (Redwood Shores), good team work within organization (IT), casual, good benefits, global company and related opportunities.

Cons

Company direction (was struggling at the time, still seems to be struggling), Senior leadership (power seemed to reside with the labels/studios, lots of leadership change over the past years, lots of politics), New Products (seem to continue to rely on existing franchises - FIFA, Sims, etc.), Internal inefficiencies, IT contribution not valued

Continue focus on company vision and direction, stabilize management, continue to invest in improving internal efficiency, recognize value of IT and invest in IT

EA set my standard for teamwork and professional growth

Former Employee - Senior, Director of Product Development in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior, Director of Product Development in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

The game teams are professionals. People are truly there to build great games. Through my many years there, I feel supported by my managers and my peers. Over time, I learned not only how to build great, high caliber games but how to work with different people with different personalities, opinions and skills. I also loved the onsite gym. There is onsite daycare. Benefits are great.

Cons

It's a big company. You have to be OK with that. Sometimes the bureaucracy can get to you. Team sizes can get very large which is fine for some, not OK for others.

All things considered, a great place to work with great people to make great things.

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

very smart people, fantastic gym (EARS), variety of projects to work on. They provide training in most areas, and there are many services available to employees.

Cons

can be highly political, difficult to get innovative work green lit. Senior staff have been entrenched for a very long time. Depending on individuals location, the commute can be a grind.

It can be quite difficult to get promoted at EA, resulting in having to leave the company to advance. There are numerous groups with deep gaps between senior leadership and the rest of the team - this does not give the perception of upward mobility.

Environmental Artist

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Terrific fellow artists. Genius engineers.

Cons

Unpredictable firing and layoffs of everyone, including management.

Know your employees and try to keep the best, not just the cheapest.

Disaster in hiring senior execs

Current Employee - Senior QA Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huge company has many cultural "zones". I used to be in a high performing team full of motivated engineering colleagues win a high level of pride in what we did.

I knew a lot of great developers and managers that loved their game or feature team at EA, and stayed forever. There are surely some good spots in the company, but beware its a mixed bag, YMMV

Cons

Upheaval in senior executives brought is a horrible phase in 2011-2012 that drove out literally half of my engineering org due to bozo leadership. I have read that a pair of top execs responsible for a lot of this disaster have moved on, so maybe that's a past issue now.

Don't wield the big hammer of fear, respect your teams. Relax the ship date obsession, products should be great above shipping on time. Watch valve do this well.

Six Good Years at EA

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with some of the strongest software in the video games industry was an absolute pleasure. After departing for business school after six years in marketing and sales, I cannot say enough about the atmosphere and enthusiasm that EA has developed.

Cons

Many that I worked with expressed a sense of disenfranchisement resulting from a decision making process driven by mid-upper management.

Empower those that are closest to the information to make the decisions