Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to learn and grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsFree games and early access to some of the mobile games. Forward looking investments. Colleagues are fun to work with.

ConsLack of plan on opportunities for growth. Good work goes unappreciated; its always about short term deliverable, dates and not about long term value add.

Excellent culture, challenging assignments.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI spent a long time working with video game studios at EA. The individuals in the studios were some of the most brilliant, creative, awesome people I have ever met. The culture of the studios I worked for was always stressful, but incredibly supportive. They expect you to manage your own career and be proactive about taking on challenging assignments, and when you do they genuinely support you. While I had a lot of manager turnover, almost all of my managers were incredibly effective and capable of building strong relationships.

Benefits were outstanding and pay was at my expectation. I seldom had concerns with the facilities, technology, etc. It's a great surrounding.

ConsThe industry is really tough. There were frequent layoffs due to the immediate lack of success of an individual game and/or not having work after a game launch. It seemed like you were constantly wondering when the next one would happen. This is industry wide, but EA certainly had this issue.

The culture can get aggressive. It's nice to not have to worry if there are back door maneuvering, but the 'frankness' of the EA culture leads to in-your-face aggression.

One of the few concerns I had with facilities was that the environment was a bit dated and the bathrooms at HQ are disgusting to sight and smell.

Advice to Senior ManagementObviously this is hard, but create long term business strategy that accounts for the chaotic nature of this industry. It can't be impossible! The constant fear that missing an objective means you lose a % of your team is the single biggest issue on the dev teams (imo).

Great place to work at

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGreat benefits, perks, work life balance, tons of growth opportunities.

ConsI did not see any strong cons. It is a really good place!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Returning for a 2nd adventure!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Cantina's around each major group is a nice idea, lots of tea/coffee and things to nom on
    - Wage and benefits is great, certainly helps me and my family.
    - Communication is a lot better than it used to be, but I guess I am lucky with great management who are very supportive and care about work/life balance (which is give and take..)
    - Teams have made lots of changes, but communication internally has improved to points where people are ok 'making more changes', very relaxed
    - EA are really trying to change there image from before, where cliches existed, and its a lot different than that now, far more welcoming and rewarding.

Cons- Relocation can be tough, more some from Europe to US
    - Finding help, at the start, can be problematic, but overall your team will help you out with anything big
    - If you move to Austin, be careful of the tax's and other filings.. the US loves paperwork!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, huge changes from when I was last here, and it is really refreshing to see feedback during that time is taken and used for positive action. New CEO and CTO's seem like top blokes.

Software Engineer EA Digital Platform

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThere are a lot of place to grow, try new things, and make a concrete impact.
    The teams are very young and the initiative of creating a digital platform is still fairly new.
    A lot of freedom and trust is given to the engineer

ConsAs a Large company, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate things and we often end up doing some work that already been done before.

Fun and Challenging

ProsElectronic Arts values hard work and creativity

ConsMust have a sense of humor

Best experience of my life... also the worst at times.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThere is an unbelievable amount of talented and creative people at EA. Great benefits. Loads of fun building cool games that millions of people all over the world enjoy. The people who voted EA "worst company in America" should move out of their mom's basement. :) I mean really... we beat out Bank of America and any number of oil companies!

ConsSilos within the company mean wasted resources due solving the same problems over and over and over. Poor management and leadership at all levels. Poor work / life balance at times due to poor project/time management failure. Middle management bloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos... facilitate communication and learning among the studios. Give all employees an opportunity to have their voice heard.

Great place to work, but organization could be optimized to get the most out of their talented workforce

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGreat management that really valued life/work balance for employees.
    Very flexible in accommodating employee needs.
    Plenty of passionate people to learn and get inspiration from.
    Good facilities and comfortable workplace environment for team building.

ConsA very large team with a lot of dependencies makes interdisciplinary organization a challenge.
    Due to the nature of the product/industry, working in an environment where your goals are constantly changed and the future is unclear can be frustrating over time.

Awesome

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIts very competitive and requires a lot o f patience

ConsThings can get really crazy

Advice to Senior ManagementNOthing really

Good environment but working fast-paced is expected

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe environment is progressive and comfortable, to reflect the style of gamers. They encourage creativity and imagination, and seem to be focusing on changing their perception to their consumers. They appear to really be reworking the whole company from the ground up to make their consumers (gamers) happy. The opportunities to grow your career here are very good, if you prove yourself hard working.

ConsWork here is very fast-paced and the hours can be long. Because of the relative newness of some departments, their organization and structure of projects is chaotic and can change on a dime. You have to be very flexible, able to roll-with-the-punches, and really know your stuff. So far, salary doesn't match the experience and effort expended, although benefits & perks are good.

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin asking your actual workers what they need to help them work more efficiently. Ask them about what they know about, and have them put that expertise into the projects they work on, instead of just making typical management decisions that can set them up to fail.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!