Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.4

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent culture, challenging assignments.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I spent a long time working with video game studios at EA. The individuals in the studios were some of the most brilliant, creative, awesome people I have ever met. The culture of the studios I worked for was always stressful, but incredibly supportive. They expect you to manage your own career and be proactive about taking on challenging assignments, and when you do they genuinely support you. While I had a lot of manager turnover, almost all of my managers were incredibly effective and capable of building strong relationships.

Benefits were outstanding and pay was at my expectation. I seldom had concerns with the facilities, technology, etc. It's a great surrounding.

Cons

The industry is really tough. There were frequent layoffs due to the immediate lack of success of an individual game and/or not having work after a game launch. It seemed like you were constantly wondering when the next one would happen. This is industry wide, but EA certainly had this issue.

The culture can get aggressive. It's nice to not have to worry if there are back door maneuvering, but the 'frankness' of the EA culture leads to in-your-face aggression.

One of the few concerns I had with facilities was that the environment was a bit dated and the bathrooms at HQ are disgusting to sight and smell.

Obviously this is hard, but create long term business strategy that accounts for the chaotic nature of this industry. It can't be impossible! The constant fear that missing an objective means you lose a % of your team is the single biggest issue on the dev teams (imo).

EA Rocks

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lot of talent people thee.

Cons

long hours, for little pay!

I miss the Trip and Larry Probst days

Overall not too bad.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Got a lot of resources to throw at problems.

Cons

Got a lot of problems to throw resources at.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun

I have been working at Electronic Arts as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really fun environment, room for growth, great benefits, awesome management, free games, win all around.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company, sometimes leadership needs improvement. Time off policies straight froward.

Promote more.

Great company and employees

Former Employee - QA Tester  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is great. It's working with employees that want to be there and the pay is good. EA also has a strong benefits package. Lot's of inspiring and resonable people to work with. Creativity is encouraged within the comapny which was a huge plus for me.

Cons

Not many cons other maybe having to deal with the gamer culture. Other than that I can't think of many cons.

Keep doing what your doing.

Unique place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Highly creative and diverse team of people creating innovation. Very driven at the same time fun place to work.

Cons

Really not much I can think of. It's ideal for people who enjoy rapid changes, some amount of uncertainities.

Fun place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free games and early access to some of the mobile games. Forward looking investments. Colleagues are fun to work with.

Cons

Lack of plan on opportunities for growth. Good work goes unappreciated; its always about short term deliverable, dates and not about long term value add.

Interesting

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

make games that are quite good

Cons

bad food and toilets smell

Good place to get started

Current Employee - Artist  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We work on killer IPs, there's free food, cool people, and it's definitely a pet-friendly office. We can pretty much get anything we want, from food to supplies.

Cons

Lots of politics; if you're not friends with the right people, you will have a harder time advancing or even getting your voice heard.

Listen to your people; there's still a lot of people here that are undervalued, underpaid and in the wrong positions.

A Learning Experience

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great and Regular Full Time employees are well taken care of, basically, if they like you as an employee, you've got it made

Cons

EGOS. It's all about egos here, from the assistants who have the executives ear to the game devs who think they are God's gift to creation. Good team = good work experience; Bad team = Another day in h%..I mean, paradise.

Actually follow the company statements presented as founding pillars in training, train your people well and keep your word. Stop throwing people out the door to cut costs. Stop investing in mediocre tech to try and stay relevant

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!