Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros:
  • "Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons"
    in 53 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful"
    in 32 reviews
  • "long hours without reasonable compensation"
    in 50 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Perks but no job security

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsStarbucks on campus, super cool parties

Consyou're always fighting for your job. A popular saying is "if you hate your role wait a month, it will be completely different"

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in the people you hire and know their strengths.

good place to work

Senior Game Developer (Former Employee)
    Hyderābād (India)

Proslife balance , working on cutting edge industry tools

Conssome time need to work with outdated tools as they are part of game .

Advice to Senior Managementshould treat all employes equally .

Be prepared to work like a dog

Technical Director (Former Employee)
    Maitland, FL

ProsCool factor - EA makes some of the best games out there and certainly is one of the best known studios. For a recent grad, working here will help launch your career - and EA knows it. They provide a great looking workplace and many benefits you will never use because you're too busy working long hours.

ConsLoooong hours. EA STILL has no concept of work-life balance. They know people are eager to work there so they consider everyone a disposable resource. Burn you out and toss you aside. Because you live or die by game ratings, there are often rounds of layoffs if you end up on an unsuccessful game. Lowest hourly salary I made in years and I almost forgot what family and hobbies were like.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've created many of your problems due to the HUGE turnover and hiring recent grads with little experience. If you'll get some work-life balance and plan your releases realistically, you could be SO much more! It's been shown over and over that after 40 hours productivity drops sharply.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company with great benefits but bad politics and brand issues

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros-Access to a lot of technology and resources
    -great benefits and perks
    -challenging work and products
    -great, smart dev teams at the studios

Cons-seems stuck in the 8
     90's product line, continually releasing remake after remake rather than innovating new IP
    -corporate politics are nasty. Felt like grade school trying to win the favor of executive x,y,z so you can get your game green-lit
    -too many yearly staff reductions which led to bad morale and talent loss

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on ways to get individual studios communicating and sharing tech more. Try not to behave like you are so beholden to the stockholders and allow your teams to innovate and take risks.

Program Manager

ProsFun company, encourages employees to take time and get to know company products (i.e. it's ok to play games on company time to get to know the product), year-end holiday party is absolutely a blast, CEO and his directs hold quartertly town hall meetings and you get a chance to ask any question

ConsNo meaningful process in place to deal with bad leaders (work for a manager who routinely disparages others, makes inappropriate sexually themed jokes, and bullies suborindates)

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating an ombudsman role and having it report directly to the CEO

Excellent career opportunities, great culture

Redwood City, CA

ProsA very entrepreneurial culture where you can make a lot of your own opportunities and really stretch yourself, and the company is really driving new creative programs. Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about games and it's a very creative group of people. Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and speak up if they have ideas or opinions. Nice perks as well.

ConsTeams can be very focused in on their own work and not as willing to collaborate across teams to make things happen.

They train you up to leave and make money elsewhere

Senior QA Tester/Designer (Current Employee)
    Maitland, FL

Pros-Cool people
    -Working on video games

Cons-Too much middle management
    -Pay is terrible
    -Work/life balance is terrible for months of the year (when games are in Alpha/Beta)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs

Producer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful work place with great amenities

ConsLow Salary, long working hours, limited room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on carrer development and work life balance.

Loved It ... Mostly

Animator (Former Employee)
    Guildford, England (UK)

ProsLots of talented people taking great pride in what they do, which naturally makes the end result a very polished product. There seemed to be lots of opportunities for people to get promoted, if they showed an interest. The games have such a large consumer base that your work reaches a massive audience, which I personally got a kick out of. Free gym access was also fantastic.

ConsOccasionally contractors were treated as 2nd class citizens. Even to the point of not being allowed to part take in family day. Only the full time staff's children may enjoy the bouncy castle.

EA set my standard for teamwork and professional growth

Senior, Director of Product Development (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe game teams are professionals. People are truly there to build great games. Through my many years there, I feel supported by my managers and my peers. Over time, I learned not only how to build great, high caliber games but how to work with different people with different personalities, opinions and skills. I also loved the onsite gym. There is onsite daycare. Benefits are great.

ConsIt's a big company. You have to be OK with that. Sometimes the bureaucracy can get to you. Team sizes can get very large which is fine for some, not OK for others.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electronic Arts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson. All 737 reviews posted anonymously by Electronic Arts employees.