Electronic Arts Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great People, Management Lacks Focus

I worked at Electronic Arts (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Great products
    - Tremendous company pedigree

Cons

- Management Lacked focus during my tenure

2. EA is a great company with awesome people and culture

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

Very friendly people across the company, in all the departments that I have managed to touch. Amenities like car cleaning service, shuttle, car maintenance, bike maintenance, on-site gym, and childcare.

Cons

In my department, there is a steep learning curve and no training set up to accommodate for the lack. If you don't know anyone in another department it can be hard to network and look into other opportunities, and in the same vein there is a separation between departments that are in separate buildings.

Advice to Management

Make internal wiki's to pass down information to entry level or workers at any level to speed training process and make it easier to get up to speed on current processes within the company.

We work on exciting entertainment

Current Employee - Visual Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Voices are heard and management cares about what our concerns are. I love working at this studio.

Cons

Crunch time can be hard on your personal life, you just need to find that balance that works for you.

Advice to Management

Two thumbs up

planning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good company, culture, product, opportunity for advancement, food, leaderhip, stock options, bonus, benefits

Cons

toxic people in key areas, eliminates people who have "key knowledge" (secrets)

Advice to Management

remove those people

6. Great Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked 9-6pm Monday through Friday and you will be just fine not answering emails or even thinking about work outside of business hours.

Cons

Below average salary, budget, budget, budget.

Advice to Management

Tak

7. Incompetent Leadership

Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have the usual benefits which are actually quite good assuming you actually have a job after a year of working there. That's about all I can say for this place. There were some nice people, but most were not trustworthy.

Cons

I got hired in June of 2014 and was laid off in November of 2014. I came into a very bad game team who was bleeding money left and right. They had no real strategy for their game and they constantly spent money on creating useless game objects which added no value to their product.

They hired me to do a specific job but never set me up to succeed. They provided no, goals, leadership, resources or direction. My manager was never around and set me up with the weakest producers of the group to be on my team. She often would support me in private, but then totally change her position in front of the team. She tried to force me to quit because she realized later on that she needed someone with "different" experience from what I had. I never lied about my experience or pretended to be something I was not, but that didn't stop her. EA's HR people did nothing but protect her and the company.

In the end, I was laid off and given a small, pathetic severance. Very small compared to the thousands of dollars I lost in RSUs and other bonuses due to my managers complete incompetence. Even after I was laid off, my manager tried to get me to send an email to the team pretending I had left on my own accord. She was truly an unethical person who abused her power.

She wasn't the only one, the entire leadership team was full of toxic and incompetent people. The top person had no good ideas and only preached the usual leadership rubbish when her game was going down the tubes. SHE should have gotten laid off as the game team problems were mostly attributed to her bad decisions and not the other people who were only following her poor direction time and time again.

HR was a joke and only cared about protecting EA.They did nothing but tow the company line. I got totally screwed by these people BIG TIME, but to them it was just "another lay off".

I would NEVER recommend EA to anyone. Don't go near this place. This place is a joke. The only people who work here are immature gamers who have very few social skills and who end up backstabbing each other in the end. If you do not fit this description, please just look for work somewhere else. You will get screwed by these people as they do not care about their workforce.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and don't hire people if you're going to lay the off after 5 months of employment. Don't hire people to be scapegoats for your own incompetence (you know who you are). Think about the families you screw over beyond the employees you lay off whenever your P&L numbers fall short due to your own poor management and bad decisions. Being a leader isn't getting up and delivering a pretty speech to your team to "inspire" people. It's having integrity and standing behind your people. It's being someone who people want to follow. Not just finding someone you can blame when things go south on you. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

8. HR

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Fun place to work; good comp and benefits and facilities

Cons

Work hard; relationship driven company

QA Portfolio Lead

Former Employee - QA Portfolio Lead in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - QA Portfolio Lead in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of office perks, Nice facility, Good People, Fun time. Fun projects. Great Medical and Vacation time

Cons

Long hours, sometime 7 days a week. Low Pay

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more in QA. They are a valuable resource.

10. I have something "interesting" to share

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts

Pros

I haven't found any pros

Cons

I was working at the nth floor of some building at EA. For whatever reason unknown, the snacks on the (n-1)th floor are better and people on that floor don't eat too much. One day, the snacks at nth floor were eaten up. So I went to (n-1)th floor to collect some snacks for breakfast. Then someone sitting besides the snacks standing up and asking me in which department I am. It was like I was trying to steal something and the words made me feel really uncomfortable.

Senior Site Reliability Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

gaming industry. super sharp and creative people. great work life balance outside of crunches for launch.

Cons

silos. politics. crunches (it's possible to avoid with proper project management!)

Advice to Management

hire fewer people managers and more engineers.

RSS Feed </> Embed