Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Cool but challenging

Information Technology (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsFun environment, "cool" factor of working for a gaming company, great campus (Redwood Shores), good team work within organization (IT), casual, good benefits, global company and related opportunities.

ConsCompany direction (was struggling at the time, still seems to be struggling), Senior leadership (power seemed to reside with the labels/studios, lots of leadership change over the past years, lots of politics), New Products (seem to continue to rely on existing franchises - FIFA, Sims, etc.), Internal inefficiencies, IT contribution not valued

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on company vision and direction, stabilize management, continue to invest in improving internal efficiency, recognize value of IT and invest in IT

EA is quite a ride. Different for different groups.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking in Consumer Marketing is a blast, but also a slog. Tons of great subjects to build marketing and creative around, with a high degree of quality and sometimes ridiculous budgets thrown at the work. That makes it fun, even if it's also wasteful and convoluted.

ConsDifferent silos within the company are constantly at each others throats trying to get more power and more control over decision making. Unbelievably inefficient and there is a culture of fear in Product Marketing and on studio teams. That filters out to everything it touches and makes it harder to get good ideas approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on the immediate go to market strategy of each game and more on the longer arc of a franchise will give you more traction for more titles for a longer period of time.

Be prepared to work like a dog

Technical Director (Former Employee) Maitland, FL

ProsCool factor - EA makes some of the best games out there and certainly is one of the best known studios. For a recent grad, working here will help launch your career - and EA knows it. They provide a great looking workplace and many benefits you will never use because you're too busy working long hours.

ConsLoooong hours. EA STILL has no concept of work-life balance. They know people are eager to work there so they consider everyone a disposable resource. Burn you out and toss you aside. Because you live or die by game ratings, there are often rounds of layoffs if you end up on an unsuccessful game. Lowest hourly salary I made in years and I almost forgot what family and hobbies were like.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've created many of your problems due to the HUGE turnover and hiring recent grads with little experience. If you'll get some work-life balance and plan your releases realistically, you could be SO much more! It's been shown over and over that after 40 hours productivity drops sharply.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Perks but no job security

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsStarbucks on campus, super cool parties

Consyou're always fighting for your job. A popular saying is "if you hate your role wait a month, it will be completely different"

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust in the people you hire and know their strengths.

Good company with great benefits but bad politics and brand issues

Anonymous (Former Employee)

Pros-Access to a lot of technology and resources
    -great benefits and perks
    -challenging work and products
    -great, smart dev teams at the studios

Cons-seems stuck in the 8
     90's product line, continually releasing remake after remake rather than innovating new IP
    -corporate politics are nasty. Felt like grade school trying to win the favor of executive x,y,z so you can get your game green-lit
    -too many yearly staff reductions which led to bad morale and talent loss

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on ways to get individual studios communicating and sharing tech more. Try not to behave like you are so beholden to the stockholders and allow your teams to innovate and take risks.

Program Manager

ProsFun company, encourages employees to take time and get to know company products (i.e. it's ok to play games on company time to get to know the product), year-end holiday party is absolutely a blast, CEO and his directs hold quartertly town hall meetings and you get a chance to ask any question

ConsNo meaningful process in place to deal with bad leaders (work for a manager who routinely disparages others, makes inappropriate sexually themed jokes, and bullies suborindates)

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider creating an ombudsman role and having it report directly to the CEO

Excellent career opportunities, great culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsA very entrepreneurial culture where you can make a lot of your own opportunities and really stretch yourself, and the company is really driving new creative programs. Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about games and it's a very creative group of people. Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and speak up if they have ideas or opinions. Nice perks as well.

ConsTeams can be very focused in on their own work and not as willing to collaborate across teams to make things happen.

Great atmosphere, great people, pay under industry standard

Senior QA Tester (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBenefits, benefits, BENEFITS !! Long list of benefits, tons of options, great prices, plus lots of extra discounts around Orlando. Meeting superstars and having them be in awe of what you do is awesome.

ConsLong hours during crunch time. Pay is below industry standard until you make it near the top, then the pay is inflated. Huge gap in pay which is visible by looking in the parking garage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIndustry standard pay would be nice. I understand it's easier to find employees in the digital entertainment hotbed that is Orlando, but it's still a little ridiculous.

EA set my standard for teamwork and professional growth

Senior, Director of Product Development (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe game teams are professionals. People are truly there to build great games. Through my many years there, I feel supported by my managers and my peers. Over time, I learned not only how to build great, high caliber games but how to work with different people with different personalities, opinions and skills. I also loved the onsite gym. There is onsite daycare. Benefits are great.

ConsIt's a big company. You have to be OK with that. Sometimes the bureaucracy can get to you. Team sizes can get very large which is fine for some, not OK for others.

All things considered, a great place to work with great people to make great things.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosvery smart people, fantastic gym (EARS), variety of projects to work on. They provide training in most areas, and there are many services available to employees.

Conscan be highly political, difficult to get innovative work green lit. Senior staff have been entrenched for a very long time. Depending on individuals location, the commute can be a grind.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can be quite difficult to get promoted at EA, resulting in having to leave the company to advance. There are numerous groups with deep gaps between senior leadership and the rest of the team - this does not give the perception of upward mobility.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!