Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to love going to work every day, then it changed.

Corporate (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsStrong values, seem to reach throughout the company. Good communication by mgmt. Beautiful campuses with lots of food choices, additional benefits - Starbux, gym, etc. Fun company activities. Good community interaction / giving back.

ConsIt is a large, global, public company. The company can't be as flexible as a start up so know what you are getting into.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisjointed, frequent layoffs affected morale. Some good people were laid off because their departments had to make cuts, while weak performers with no cuts to their department were kept on. Look more into giving people the option to move to a new department / team and stay on versus being cut.

Fun, challenging work.

Senior Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat benefits and compensation. Projects always present a challenge. By the nature of the gaming industry, you may get the opportunity to work on several different technologies. It's a great learning experience.

ConsIt's all about the bottom line. It's clear throughout the company that if your studio isn't grossing huge revenues, you will undoubtedly be closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook farther ahead than 6 months.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible environment. People are friendly.

Conswork more hours than expected.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard play hard

Artist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEA is a great company to work for.

ConsNone and really not any.

Advice to Senior Managementawesome

Fun place to work because of the nice campus but pay is not great.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsVery nice campus. The gym is also great.

ConsPay is below industrial standards. There are many studios within EA but you don't get to work with any other studio but the one you are in. It's very hard to meet other people outside your studio. Deadlines can be tough and will require you to do overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need better talent managing. Make sure your employees are happy first.

Big, Slow-moving Company with Great Benefits

Producer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat healthcare, facilities. High level of talent

ConsRisk-averse management often incapable of making decisions.

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsCoworkers are great, very personable, and easy to collaborate with. More work on E-T games so if you don't want to work violent or otherwise mature titles this is a great studio. TGIF or breakfast provided every other Friday was good for socializing.

ConsFalse sense of career advancement, and opportunities for growth internally are few and far between. New management was never advanced from lower positions and always brought in from other EA studios with more clout and corporate brown nosing. Projects constantly green-lit then canceled by alpha for the next shiny thing. Following market trends 1-2 years late and never being and innovator or industry leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your team, and stick with decisions you have made. Be an advocate for what you believe in and don't bow to corporate BS. The EA Core Values are a joke, but they are there for a reason. Try changing a few things, here are some places to start. I never once heard of anyone making a decision for anything other than the bottom line. Blatant disregard for consumers and what they want. Always going for the safe choice instead of trying new things.

Great facilities, lousy management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEA has beautiful offices, nice gym, great food in the cafeteria. Games are a fun industry, and there are a lot of people who are proud to work at EA.

ConsEA's management doesn't understand the industry it's in. They try anything and everything, and when things fail, they cut heads. It's a business fad driven company and it's balance sheet is deteriorating.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a few games and really invest in them. Drop all the initiatives that are designed to drive revenues only.

Good Company to start your career

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsFreedom in work areas, amazing set of people, Decent perks,

ConsLong working hours, Confusing leadership, Recent high profile exits

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove tools for speedy execution,

Software Engineer for Sports Title

ProsFast Paced Game Production. Very smart crew of people. Yearly Product Cycle

ConsThey use a matrix-management structure so your managers don't do technical and their leads aren't in charge of your deliverables

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!