Electronic Arts

Updated January 24, 2015
3.5

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• That coupled with the passion for what we are doing makes for a wonderful work environment (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 39 reviews)

• There are long hours at times, and there are usually cuts at least once a year (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

A tough environment, expect to be pushed around quite a bit.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great resources to play with and definitely an environment where things move constantly. You won't get bored at all working at EA.

Cons

The biggest challenge is pushing off te 1000 people who want something from you. There's always someone who wants some data or needs your input on something. Sometimes you can spend 8+ hours in meetings but get none of your own work done so it becomes very stressful.

Create a vision for the company that is properly communicated down to each game team. I often found that there was a disconnect with the regional offices and what top management was doing in LA or San Fran.

Alright

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Charlotte C H, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Charlotte C H, VA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Games all day all night

Cons

Terrible Management, bad communication with team

Fun, but overworked

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great people, great benefits, free food.

Cons

Too many long hours and weekends trying to release a game.

Love it here!!

Current Employee - Director, Human Resources
    Current Employee - Director, Human Resources

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This has been the best company I've ever worked for. They try to give you career opportunities and really do care about their people. My experience has been that EA is not the corporate monster that some in the media like to portray them as. Other pros are the benefits and pay--they are very competitive! I also feel that EA is back on track in the games industry in regards to the product and quality bar of said products. Keep it up, team!

Cons

There can be some burn out because people need to be "always on" and the crunch that tends to happen when delivering high quality games.
    There also seem to be some gaps in exec leadership on the dev side, both console and mobile, but I believe (hope!) those are being addressed.

Continue to insist on high quality products, even if that means pushing out ship dates. Also, once a decision is made, stick to it rather than starting and stopping initiatives and projects so often.

Fun job, great experience

Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun job. Cool and good people. Was given the freedom to test what I wanted - didn't feel too micromanaged. Tasty food in the cafeteria. Fun campus events. Big gym available to everyone, also a daycare center for children.

Cons

Long overtime hours during crunch time, but that's typical in this industry. Felt disconnected to anyone above my supervisor.

An excellent, innovative employer!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am about to head off on a 7-week sabbatical for 7 years of service to EA! This is a great company with excellent compensation and benefits, innovative leadership and a real "putting our players first" attitude across all initatives.

Cons

Sometimes we work hard, but are fairly rewarded, so not a con per-se.

Keep putting players first, keep innovating, keep creating top-rated games!

Great company and employees

Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is great. It's working with employees that want to be there and the pay is good. EA also has a strong benefits package. Lot's of inspiring and resonable people to work with. Creativity is encouraged within the comapny which was a huge plus for me.

Cons

Not many cons other maybe having to deal with the gamer culture. Other than that I can't think of many cons.

Keep doing what your doing.

Excellent culture, challenging assignments.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I spent a long time working with video game studios at EA. The individuals in the studios were some of the most brilliant, creative, awesome people I have ever met. The culture of the studios I worked for was always stressful, but incredibly supportive. They expect you to manage your own career and be proactive about taking on challenging assignments, and when you do they genuinely support you. While I had a lot of manager turnover, almost all of my managers were incredibly effective and capable of building strong relationships.

Benefits were outstanding and pay was at my expectation. I seldom had concerns with the facilities, technology, etc. It's a great surrounding.

Cons

The industry is really tough. There were frequent layoffs due to the immediate lack of success of an individual game and/or not having work after a game launch. It seemed like you were constantly wondering when the next one would happen. This is industry wide, but EA certainly had this issue.

The culture can get aggressive. It's nice to not have to worry if there are back door maneuvering, but the 'frankness' of the EA culture leads to in-your-face aggression.

One of the few concerns I had with facilities was that the environment was a bit dated and the bathrooms at HQ are disgusting to sight and smell.

Obviously this is hard, but create long term business strategy that accounts for the chaotic nature of this industry. It can't be impossible! The constant fear that missing an objective means you lose a % of your team is the single biggest issue on the dev teams (imo).

Fun

I have been working at Electronic Arts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun environment, room for growth, great benefits, awesome management, free games, win all around.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company, sometimes leadership needs improvement. Time off policies straight froward.

Promote more.

EA Rocks

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot of talent people thee.

Cons

long hours, for little pay!

I miss the Trip and Larry Probst days