Electronic Arts

Updated November 23, 2014
3.5

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• That coupled with the passion for what we are doing makes for a wonderful work environment (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 39 reviews)

• There are long hours at times, and there are usually cuts at least once a year (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to get started

Current Employee - Artist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We work on killer IPs, there's free food, cool people, and it's definitely a pet-friendly office. We can pretty much get anything we want, from food to supplies.

Cons

Lots of politics; if you're not friends with the right people, you will have a harder time advancing or even getting your voice heard.

Listen to your people; there's still a lot of people here that are undervalued, underpaid and in the wrong positions.

A Learning Experience

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and Regular Full Time employees are well taken care of, basically, if they like you as an employee, you've got it made

Cons

EGOS. It's all about egos here, from the assistants who have the executives ear to the game devs who think they are God's gift to creation. Good team = good work experience; Bad team = Another day in h%..I mean, paradise.

Actually follow the company statements presented as founding pillars in training, train your people well and keep your word. Stop throwing people out the door to cut costs. Stop investing in mediocre tech to try and stay relevant

Returning for a 2nd adventure!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Cantina's around each major group is a nice idea, lots of tea/coffee and things to nom on
    - Wage and benefits is great, certainly helps me and my family.
    - Communication is a lot better than it used to be, but I guess I am lucky with great management who are very supportive and care about work/life balance (which is give and take..)
    - Teams have made lots of changes, but communication internally has improved to points where people are ok 'making more changes', very relaxed
    - EA are really trying to change there image from before, where cliches existed, and its a lot different than that now, far more welcoming and rewarding.

Cons

- Relocation can be tough, more some from Europe to US
    - Finding help, at the start, can be problematic, but overall your team will help you out with anything big
    - If you move to Austin, be careful of the tax's and other filings.. the US loves paperwork!

Keep doing what you are doing, huge changes from when I was last here, and it is really refreshing to see feedback during that time is taken and used for positive action. New CEO and CTO's seem like top blokes.

Software Engineer EA Digital Platform

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of place to grow, try new things, and make a concrete impact.
    The teams are very young and the initiative of creating a digital platform is still fairly new.
    A lot of freedom and trust is given to the engineer

Cons

As a Large company, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate things and we often end up doing some work that already been done before.

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, perks, work life balance, tons of growth opportunities.

Cons

I did not see any strong cons. It is a really good place!

Fun and Challenging

I have been working at Electronic Arts (less than an year)

Pros

Electronic Arts values hard work and creativity

Cons

Must have a sense of humor

Awesome

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its very competitive and requires a lot o f patience

Cons

Things can get really crazy

NOthing really

Great place to work, but organization could be optimized to get the most out of their talented workforce

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great management that really valued life/work balance for employees.
    Very flexible in accommodating employee needs.
    Plenty of passionate people to learn and get inspiration from.
    Good facilities and comfortable workplace environment for team building.

Cons

A very large team with a lot of dependencies makes interdisciplinary organization a challenge.
    Due to the nature of the product/industry, working in an environment where your goals are constantly changed and the future is unclear can be frustrating over time.

Good environment but working fast-paced is expected

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is progressive and comfortable, to reflect the style of gamers. They encourage creativity and imagination, and seem to be focusing on changing their perception to their consumers. They appear to really be reworking the whole company from the ground up to make their consumers (gamers) happy. The opportunities to grow your career here are very good, if you prove yourself hard working.

Cons

Work here is very fast-paced and the hours can be long. Because of the relative newness of some departments, their organization and structure of projects is chaotic and can change on a dime. You have to be very flexible, able to roll-with-the-punches, and really know your stuff. So far, salary doesn't match the experience and effort expended, although benefits & perks are good.

Begin asking your actual workers what they need to help them work more efficiently. Ask them about what they know about, and have them put that expertise into the projects they work on, instead of just making typical management decisions that can set them up to fail.

Best experience of my life... also the worst at times.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is an unbelievable amount of talented and creative people at EA. Great benefits. Loads of fun building cool games that millions of people all over the world enjoy. The people who voted EA "worst company in America" should move out of their mom's basement. :) I mean really... we beat out Bank of America and any number of oil companies!

Cons

Silos within the company mean wasted resources due solving the same problems over and over and over. Poor management and leadership at all levels. Poor work / life balance at times due to poor project/time management failure. Middle management bloat.

Break down the silos... facilitate communication and learning among the studios. Give all employees an opportunity to have their voice heard.