Electronic Arts

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

155 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent career opportunities, great culture

Redwood City, CA

ProsA very entrepreneurial culture where you can make a lot of your own opportunities and really stretch yourself, and the company is really driving new creative programs. Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about games and it's a very creative group of people. Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and speak up if they have ideas or opinions. Nice perks as well.

ConsTeams can be very focused in on their own work and not as willing to collaborate across teams to make things happen.

EA set my standard for teamwork and professional growth

Senior, Director of Product Development (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe game teams are professionals. People are truly there to build great games. Through my many years there, I feel supported by my managers and my peers. Over time, I learned not only how to build great, high caliber games but how to work with different people with different personalities, opinions and skills. I also loved the onsite gym. There is onsite daycare. Benefits are great.

ConsIt's a big company. You have to be OK with that. Sometimes the bureaucracy can get to you. Team sizes can get very large which is fine for some, not OK for others.

All things considered, a great place to work with great people to make great things.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Prosvery smart people, fantastic gym (EARS), variety of projects to work on. They provide training in most areas, and there are many services available to employees.

Conscan be highly political, difficult to get innovative work green lit. Senior staff have been entrenched for a very long time. Depending on individuals location, the commute can be a grind.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can be quite difficult to get promoted at EA, resulting in having to leave the company to advance. There are numerous groups with deep gaps between senior leadership and the rest of the team - this does not give the perception of upward mobility.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Environmental Artist

Environment Artist (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsTerrific fellow artists. Genius engineers.

ConsUnpredictable firing and layoffs of everyone, including management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your employees and try to keep the best, not just the cheapest.

Six Good Years at EA

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking with some of the strongest software in the video games industry was an absolute pleasure. After departing for business school after six years in marketing and sales, I cannot say enough about the atmosphere and enthusiasm that EA has developed.

ConsMany that I worked with expressed a sense of disenfranchisement resulting from a decision making process driven by mid-upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower those that are closest to the information to make the decisions

Great place to work!

Copywriter (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsIf you're a Regular Full Time employee, you get great benefits and a lot of fun perks. Relaxed atmosphere. Lots of talented people to work with and learn from.

ConsSuch a large, fragmented company! Not always easy to have your voice heard. Communication between teams and groups can be a problem due to the size and scope the operation. As with any large corporation, there's some politics at play.

Disaster in hiring senior execs

Senior QA Director (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsHuge company has many cultural "zones". I used to be in a high performing team full of motivated engineering colleagues win a high level of pride in what we did.

I knew a lot of great developers and managers that loved their game or feature team at EA, and stayed forever. There are surely some good spots in the company, but beware its a mixed bag, YMMV

ConsUpheaval in senior executives brought is a horrible phase in 2011-2012 that drove out literally half of my engineering org due to bozo leadership. I have read that a pair of top execs responsible for a lot of this disaster have moved on, so maybe that's a past issue now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't wield the big hammer of fear, respect your teams. Relax the ship date obsession, products should be great above shipping on time. Watch valve do this well.

Great first-time experience at a company of this size.

Senior Artist (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat competitive salary. Great boss, gave me a lot of freedom and independence. Great company perks both within and outside the office. Consistent and steady workload, never had to take work home. Allowed for great life balance.

ConsOpportunities of advancement or learning other skill sets were difficult to find. Frequent company reorganization often caused stress and confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI imagine it's very difficult to manage a company of this size with so many employees so I'm not really sure what kind of advice one individual can give. I guess the best advice would be for higher ups to properly delegate their work to those on their team, and take the time to hire strong, reliable, organized staff.

Used to love going to work every day, then it changed.

Corporate (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsStrong values, seem to reach throughout the company. Good communication by mgmt. Beautiful campuses with lots of food choices, additional benefits - Starbux, gym, etc. Fun company activities. Good community interaction / giving back.

ConsIt is a large, global, public company. The company can't be as flexible as a start up so know what you are getting into.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisjointed, frequent layoffs affected morale. Some good people were laid off because their departments had to make cuts, while weak performers with no cuts to their department were kept on. Look more into giving people the option to move to a new department / team and stay on versus being cut.

An Exciting Adventure

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsAlways something new going on and you were kept busy.

ConsYou worked hard, but you also played hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the path you are currently on.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Electronic Arts reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson. All 155 reviews posted anonymously by Electronic Arts employees.