Electronic Arts Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 4, 2014
3.5

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful (in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

165 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Community Coordinator

Former Employee - Community Coordinator  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Community Coordinator in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved my position and team
    Ability to learn a lot and get a great introduction into tech & video games. I expanded into many areas during my team there. I felt like I got a holistic view of our product and company.
    Fun perks at the beginning that slowly diminished
    Decent benefits

Cons

Compensation was low.
    Lay offs all the time. Only one person from my group of 20 or so is still there.

An excellent, innovative employer!

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am about to head off on a 7-week sabbatical for 7 years of service to EA! This is a great company with excellent compensation and benefits, innovative leadership and a real "putting our players first" attitude across all initatives.

Cons

Sometimes we work hard, but are fairly rewarded, so not a con per-se.

Keep putting players first, keep innovating, keep creating top-rated games!

Great company and employees

Former Employee - QA Tester  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is great. It's working with employees that want to be there and the pay is good. EA also has a strong benefits package. Lot's of inspiring and resonable people to work with. Creativity is encouraged within the comapny which was a huge plus for me.

Cons

Not many cons other maybe having to deal with the gamer culture. Other than that I can't think of many cons.

Keep doing what your doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent culture, challenging assignments.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I spent a long time working with video game studios at EA. The individuals in the studios were some of the most brilliant, creative, awesome people I have ever met. The culture of the studios I worked for was always stressful, but incredibly supportive. They expect you to manage your own career and be proactive about taking on challenging assignments, and when you do they genuinely support you. While I had a lot of manager turnover, almost all of my managers were incredibly effective and capable of building strong relationships.

Benefits were outstanding and pay was at my expectation. I seldom had concerns with the facilities, technology, etc. It's a great surrounding.

Cons

The industry is really tough. There were frequent layoffs due to the immediate lack of success of an individual game and/or not having work after a game launch. It seemed like you were constantly wondering when the next one would happen. This is industry wide, but EA certainly had this issue.

The culture can get aggressive. It's nice to not have to worry if there are back door maneuvering, but the 'frankness' of the EA culture leads to in-your-face aggression.

One of the few concerns I had with facilities was that the environment was a bit dated and the bathrooms at HQ are disgusting to sight and smell.

Obviously this is hard, but create long term business strategy that accounts for the chaotic nature of this industry. It can't be impossible! The constant fear that missing an objective means you lose a % of your team is the single biggest issue on the dev teams (imo).

Unique place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Highly creative and diverse team of people creating innovation. Very driven at the same time fun place to work.

Cons

Really not much I can think of. It's ideal for people who enjoy rapid changes, some amount of uncertainities.

Software Engineer EA Digital Platform

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of place to grow, try new things, and make a concrete impact.
    The teams are very young and the initiative of creating a digital platform is still fairly new.
    A lot of freedom and trust is given to the engineer

Cons

As a Large company, it is sometimes difficult to coordinate things and we often end up doing some work that already been done before.

Good environment but working fast-paced is expected

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The environment is progressive and comfortable, to reflect the style of gamers. They encourage creativity and imagination, and seem to be focusing on changing their perception to their consumers. They appear to really be reworking the whole company from the ground up to make their consumers (gamers) happy. The opportunities to grow your career here are very good, if you prove yourself hard working.

Cons

Work here is very fast-paced and the hours can be long. Because of the relative newness of some departments, their organization and structure of projects is chaotic and can change on a dime. You have to be very flexible, able to roll-with-the-punches, and really know your stuff. So far, salary doesn't match the experience and effort expended, although benefits & perks are good.

Begin asking your actual workers what they need to help them work more efficiently. Ask them about what they know about, and have them put that expertise into the projects they work on, instead of just making typical management decisions that can set them up to fail.

Best experience of my life... also the worst at times.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is an unbelievable amount of talented and creative people at EA. Great benefits. Loads of fun building cool games that millions of people all over the world enjoy. The people who voted EA "worst company in America" should move out of their mom's basement. :) I mean really... we beat out Bank of America and any number of oil companies!

Cons

Silos within the company mean wasted resources due solving the same problems over and over and over. Poor management and leadership at all levels. Poor work / life balance at times due to poor project/time management failure. Middle management bloat.

Break down the silos... facilitate communication and learning among the studios. Give all employees an opportunity to have their voice heard.

Changes

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of change that can result in opportunity

Cons

Continual switching of priorities and constant change in management. After awhile, the constantly evolving environment gets tiresome.

Excellent career opportunities, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very entrepreneurial culture where you can make a lot of your own opportunities and really stretch yourself, and the company is really driving new creative programs. Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about games and it's a very creative group of people. Everyone is encouraged to be themselves and speak up if they have ideas or opinions. Nice perks as well.

Cons

Teams can be very focused in on their own work and not as willing to collaborate across teams to make things happen.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!