Electronic Arts Reviews

Reset
3.7
Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very good for the game industry (in 34 reviews)

• That coupled with the passion for what we are doing makes for a wonderful work environment (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • EA STILL has no concept of work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• long hours without reasonable compensation (in 52 reviews)

1. Incredibly Fun Place

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers a creative atmosphere, with props, artwork and game consoles everywhere. Excellent modern facilities, with fountains and a lawn which use recycled water. Great benefits, like choice of health care tiers and providers, 401k, stock options, free video rental, free EA video games and more.Overall good vibe, people are very nice and you feel like you're part of a community.

Cons

The game industry is volatile. Your product has to succeed in a big way, and your job could be at stake. There's a lot of employee and team transfers, between studios and cities.

2. Great place o grow

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work Amazing technologies Full of smart and passionated people The new CEO is fantastic

Cons

Not enough collaboration between different departments Some work from a department to another is replicated

3. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth, team building

Cons

The company took a hit and scaled back.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. HR Coordinator

I worked at Electronic Arts

Pros

-Fun place to work -Great benefits and PTO policy -Good hours and opportunities to work from home -Most managers were good, but to be successful you have to be very vocal -Onsite gym and all RFT's get a +1

Cons

-Very difficult to move to other jobs within the company -Limited opportunities for promotions -Compensation isn't always fair. Many leave and come back to get paid well -At times it can be a little bit of a dramatic place to work because of the politics -Food is not free

Advice to Management

Exit interviews are horrible. HR pretends to care but just write whatever is easiest for the reason for which you are leaving the company. The experience could be better.

6. QA Tester

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

It was great to work on new projects but it can get very mundane because you do things in game that you would never do as a player. There was an awesome DVD and video game library you can rent from. There is also a gym and great catering. When there is a large release there is usually a party.

Cons

Expected to work on the weekends and overtime. Job only lasts the length of the contract.

Advice to Management

Find ways to allow contract workers to move into full time.

Heading the right direction... slowly

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Passionate people who love working on games - The new CEO seems to be turning the business around, focusing on quality over quantity - It's slowly adapting and adopting many best practices from the tech industry

Cons

- Still a good ol' boys club at times - Managers receive little to no training - Most management is fairly inexperienced - Good employees do not get rewarded - HR does not do much

Advice to Management

- Do better keeping quality employees - EA hemorrhages talent to other tech companies like Google and Facebook. You need to give them a reason to stay at EA.

We work on exciting entertainment

Current Employee - Visual Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Visual Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Voices are heard and management cares about what our concerns are. I love working at this studio.

Cons

Crunch time can be hard on your personal life, you just need to find that balance that works for you.

Advice to Management

Two thumbs up

Incompetent Leadership

Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Producer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have the usual benefits which are actually quite good assuming you actually have a job after a year of working there. That's about all I can say for this place. There were some nice people, but most were not trustworthy.

Cons

I got hired in June of 2014 and was laid off in November of 2014. I came into a very bad game team who was bleeding money left and right. They had no real strategy for their game and they constantly spent money on creating useless game objects which added no value to their product. They hired me to do a specific job but never set me up to succeed. They provided no, goals, leadership, resources or direction. My manager was never around and set me up with the weakest producers of the group to be on my team. She often would support me in private, but then totally change her position in front of the team. She tried to force me to quit because she realized later on that she needed someone with "different" experience from what I had. I never lied about my experience or pretended to be something I was not, but that didn't stop her. EA's HR people did nothing but protect her and the company. In the end, I was laid off and given a small, pathetic severance. Very small compared to the thousands of dollars I lost in RSUs and other bonuses due to my managers complete incompetence. Even after I was laid off, my manager tried to get me to send an email to the team pretending I had left on my own accord. She was truly an unethical person who abused her power. She wasn't the only one, the entire leadership team was full of toxic and incompetent people. The top person had no good ideas and only preached the usual leadership rubbish when her game was going down the tubes. SHE should have gotten laid off as the game team problems were mostly attributed to her bad decisions and not the other people who were only following her poor direction time and time again. HR was a joke and only cared about protecting EA.They did nothing but tow the company line. I got totally screwed by these people BIG TIME, but to them it was just "another lay off". I would NEVER recommend EA to anyone. Don't go near this place. This place is a joke. The only people who work here are immature gamers who have very few social skills and who end up backstabbing each other in the end. If you do not fit this description, please just look for work somewhere else. You will get screwed by these people as they do not care about their workforce.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and don't hire people if you're going to lay the off after 5 months of employment. Don't hire people to be scapegoats for your own incompetence (you know who you are). Think about the families you screw over beyond the employees you lay off whenever your P&L numbers fall short due to your own poor management and bad decisions. Being a leader isn't getting up and delivering a pretty speech to your team to "inspire" people. It's having integrity and standing behind your people. It's being someone who people want to follow. Not just finding someone you can blame when things go south on you. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

planning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good company, culture, product, opportunity for advancement, food, leaderhip, stock options, bonus, benefits

Cons

toxic people in key areas, eliminates people who have "key knowledge" (secrets)

Advice to Management

remove those people

11. Great Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked 9-6pm Monday through Friday and you will be just fine not answering emails or even thinking about work outside of business hours.

Cons

Below average salary, budget, budget, budget.

Advice to Management

Tak

RSS Feed </> Embed