Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson

Pros
  • Managers do try to encourage workers to maintain a decent work/life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Nice & friendly colleagues, which made for a really nice work environment despite the Cons(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful(in 36 reviews)

• Extremely long hours, if you aren't living at the job you aren't fitting in(in 51 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun environment, many hours of work.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros* Nice, friendly and laid back environment

ConsThey make you work as much as you can. Weekends, holidays, overtime.

Contractors treatment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThere is a policy of full time sponsorship that allows contractors to access to certain campus facilities (like the gym) for free, or buy games in a lower price, if a full time employee contribute.

ConsThere is a very clear wall between Full time and Contractors, by example every 6 months there are group events to celebrate the goals reached on each project during that period and contractors are not invited even tho they have been part of those projects and contributed on that success.

Promotions are not a common thing.

Great opportunity, great 4 year learning experience, too much management of managers

Product Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsProbably the most talented group of individuals i've ever worked with. Very progressive in thinking and problem solving. Ultimately creating the best entertainment experiences in the industry.
    Early on got to dream big with marketing campaigns and had great autonomy to promote games to our consumers.

ConsVictims of being a large public company. Many titles releases well before they should be to ensure financial goals are met. Instead of giving projects the right amount of time to be completed.
    Poor work/life balance. Long hours. Working well into the evenings and on weekends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internal tech team is stable, interesting, diverse, and challenging.

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat people, consideration for live-work balance, opportunity for growth, excellent management. The facility in Burnaby is beautiful, the food is good enough, the health benefits are great, and the stock purchase plan is a nice perk. Overall this (the internal technologies group) is an excellent environment to learn and grow.

ConsTime off allowance is pitiful and increases very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime off is the biggest reason I would look elsewhere.

Challenging problems and fast-paced environment.

Development Director (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsMany difficult problems to solve. A lot of lateral growth opportunities.

ConsDepending on the team you are part of, you may have to be available during off-hours for months at a time. However, you can rotate your "shifts" with colleagues so you get some evenings and weekends off.

Great working environment, Not a place for career development

Modeler (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThe work environment is superb, definitely one of the very best in town; the large open space cubical, ergonomic chair, impressive interior design, free coffee. A great place to start for new grads. Constantly updating company Library of books, games, consoles, videos, magazines and other resources. Large mail room. Free, old, arcade games and pinball. You get discounts for many commercial stores outside EA. Many (not free) onsite services including gym, massage, haircut, car wash, etc.. Coworkers are very friendly and pleasant to work with. Overtime pay reinforced.

ConsThe work contents can be extremely dry and boring. Creative works are almost completely absent due to outsourcing and the nature of projects. No career development, no advancement, no regular full time opportunity and many people keep signing contracts here for years. working hours can be very hectic depending on projects and management - they may hire people during crunch time, so be prepared to work long hours for several months including weekends and stat holidays. If possible, consider companies elsewhere for your career, especially for artists alike.

Disappointing Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsIs a big company that just looks for money not to make games or allow room to innovation or new things.

Basically the company has two types of employees (regular and temporary) if you manage to get a regular position which is nearly impossible then you are ok at least until you want to keep growing otherwise you are just for a limited time which is basically the 60% of the workforce.

Big company lots of perks.
    Good benefits (if you manage to become a regular employee which is rare).

ConsNot a career more like a job.
    Too much management not even room for innovation or try new things.
    Push the same product over and over again with minor changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the talent on the company and develop careers, allow the employees to apply their skills their innovation do not limit them but since I know that the owners just care about numbers then never mind I believe the company will keep the same as a money maker not as a video game giant.

Great opportunities for professional growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThis is a company where you can really build your career if you are willing to drive it yourself. There are many resources available and strong support provided. An internal knowledge base not only helps staff teach each other new things, but gives you a chance to write blogs, white papers and get recognized for it.

There are also lots of opportunities to move around the company if you are willing to relocate and are good at your job. Additionally, I have seen many people make big changes in their careers while at EA - for example, moving from an engineering or art role to project management or production.

Time off policies, annual bonuses and flexible hours are all positives.

ConsCan be an 'old boy's club' and very political and 'clique' like. Promotions are in theory based on individual merits and business need but at times feels very unfair and more of a tool to retain staff that might leave otherwise.

Some staff will struggle with achieving work/life balance if they are not careful. This is in the hands of the employee - no one is going to tell you to work crazy, long hours but it may often feel like it is being encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to treat our QA teams better. It has improved over the years but I still feel like they are under appreciated given the importance of their roles.

Great company to work for

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsLots of perks of the job, good working conditions, excellent facilities and latest technologies in use.

ConsBigger monitors would be nice

Overworked and underpaid.

Community Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat people on the front lines. Chance to travel given the right job.

ConsLife = work, and if not then you'll likely be on the outside looking in. If you're not prepared to work 55-60 hours a week (minimum), then consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance.

Worked for Electronic Arts? Contribute to the Community!