Electronic Consulting Services

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
George Wilson

1. Very Satisfied at ECS!

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services

Pros

ECS has a very strong management culture - from the CEO to the Program Manager levels. ECS has undergone a lot of change over the last several years - emerging from a small business to a rapidly growing large business. Over time, ECS has paid close attention to identifying, developing, and promoting strong performing staff into managerial positions - initially as task leads, then to program managers. This focus has been very positive. ECS has also parted ways with some former mid-level managers - and I believe this has been a good thing for the company and the professionals who now work for more effective managers. ECS pays very close attention to its people and culture - and this is a long process. ECS invests time, energy and resources into identifying the best people for positions of responsibility across the company, and then helps develop them over time. This will be a strong asset in the years to come.

Cons

Some of the former employees who have posted reviews here - especially the "Stay Away" review sound like recently departed program managers who have an axe to grind. Their reviews sound more like sour grapes and should probably be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Press on and keep focusing on recruiting strong candidates for all positions, from entry level to senior managers. Focus on the people and culture of the organization as we grow.

Good Company that is Growing

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. Flexible working like teleworking. Company does a lot to engage employees, example; various company lunch gatherings; support of employee and local non-profit organizations; and surveys to see how ECS management can make company better.

Cons

ECS is a government contracting company, the environment is always changing. Loss of contracts may mean loss of jobs.

Stay Away. Stay far away

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Electronic Consulting Services

Pros

Not many. The HR folks were nice and helpful when I left. The Christmas party had good food and an open bar - you need to get through the vapid leadership speeches.

Cons

The small company I worked for was bought up by ECS Federal back in 2012. I (and pretty much everyone else with whom I've spoken) rue the day the announcement was made. ECS Federal is without a doubt one of, if not the worst companies I have ever had the displeasure to work for. Leadership makes a big production of caring about its employees but then offers average to below average salaries, benefits and work-life balance philosophy that is solely concerned with the bottom dollar than balance.

The work is just that work. No effort is made for mentoring, guidance or career advancement. This is a butts in seats shop that has no idea what to do with or to retain experienced employees. There is no communication from leadership, no opportunities to move to more interesting work or advancement

Just stay away. This place just sucks. Pure and simple they're not worth the headache.

Advice to Management

Just sell the company. That's what you are leveraging the company for anyway. Just be done with it.

Wow - An Amazing Company that CARES about its Employees

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services

Pros

I used to work for a company that made me fire a project manager the day before his wife was due to give birth. She called me up that day and screamed that I was trying to kill her baby. ECS is NOT that company. The management at ECS honestly cares about the well being of its employees. My spouse is having serious medical issues causing me to miss a lot of work. That company I used to work for would have fired me a long time ago. ECS is NOT that company. ECS management has been exceptionally flexible with me, allowing me to work remotely when needed to take care of my spouse. My manager has intentionally lightened my workload knowing that my family was going through these issues. At the same time my manager knew that my new puppy needed surgery and so what do you know? I got a nice bonus out of the blue to help me pay for it! I can honestly say I have never worked for such a caring company.
    Some of the things that most impress me about the way ECS operates include:
    1. We are invited weekly to attend the executive management meeting. This includes the weekly review of operations and the weekly review of business development activities. The financial health (strong) of the company is shared so that we understand how we are doing and how what we do impacts the bottom line in a positive or negative fashion.
    2. Monthly lunch and learns are held where individual projects are spotlighted. Information is shared; lessons learned are shared.
    3. People collaborate across business units on new business opportunities, regardless of which division will own the program if won. This allows the best and brightest subject matter experts to get exposed to all types of other programs.
    4. People are allowed to transfer from one program to another, including extra-divisional, with 100% support by management. This opens the doors to all employees for career advancement.
    The company also is very active in the community, giving to those in need.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

6. Best job ever!

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management takes care of people - they actually care

Cons

Seriously, nothing to report here

7. Best company EVER

Pros

Benefits are great, people are great, senior management is great

Cons

Nothing to say here really. Everything is good

Solid company; good career opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has grown a lot over the past couple years which has increased opportunities for good performers. There is a good work/life balance. I have heard bad stories from people about their raises and job experiences at similar companies over the past couple years because of the slowdown of government spending. I think I am lucky to work at a company where I haven't experienced those problems and I think the pay is fair. The upper management seems to care about employees and does things like send a giftcard home every Thanksgiving to all employees and brings ice cream in, etc. to show appreciation.

Cons

Some of the processes are cumbersome like purchasing

Horrible company, poor management

Former Employee - Desktop Support
    Former Employee - Desktop Support

I worked at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, if you are deemed worthy of not being moved to a sub-contractor.

Cons

Management is allergic to speaking with employees. Company is under investigation by the US Dept of Labor for violating the Service Contracts Act(SCA) of 1965. Since they only do federal contracts, they should be quite familiar with the law, and choose to break it anyway in favor of the bottom line. Undeserving people are promoted in to jobs they are not qualified for or have any experience in. Fired 27 people during government shutdown, then called a contract agency to hire them all back with a 40% paycut(ECS dictated the pay rate) and no benefits. Then threw a lavish Christmas party where the program manager got drunk and bragged how ECS could now fire anyone working for the contractor that they just didn't like by just telling the contractor to get rid of them.

Advice to Management

Find other employment now. After the US DOL bans ECS from bidding on federal contracts, ECS will no longer exist.

10. Solid Company and Growing Stronger

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Delivery excellence and employee welfare are top concerns with this Company. I have had nothing but positive experiences and excellent support from coworkers and the company staff since joining. You couldn't pick a better company to work for in the challenging and fluid consulting and federal contracting world.

Cons

I have not experienced any Cons thus far. I am really satisfied working for this Company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Open Communications and focused on putting the customer first. Sincere interest in promoting talented people from within the company. The management team seems to recognize the need for faster technology adoption. Also, focused on growth through acquisition, which theoretically should create opportunities for advancement. Company is also family oriented and throughs a nice holiday party.

Cons

Tough industry. The government doesn't seem very interested in quality these days and are more focused on cost at the expense of experience, so company is cutting cost to keep winning contracts. Could be trouble in the future.

Advice to Management

Please be consider expanding beyond government.

RSS Feed </> Embed