Electronic Consulting Services

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

George Wilson

Best company EVER

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, people are great, senior management is great

Cons

Nothing to say here really. Everything is good

Best job ever!

Pros

Management takes care of people - they actually care

Cons

Seriously, nothing to report here

Wow - An Amazing Company that CARES about its Employees

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services

Pros

I used to work for a company that made me fire a project manager the day before his wife was due to give birth. She called me up that day and screamed that I was trying to kill her baby. ECS is NOT that company. The management at ECS honestly cares about the well being of its employees. My spouse is having serious medical issues causing me to miss a lot of work. That company I used to work for would have fired me a long time ago. ECS is NOT that company. ECS management has been exceptionally flexible with me, allowing me to work remotely when needed to take care of my spouse. My manager has intentionally lightened my workload knowing that my family was going through these issues. At the same time my manager knew that my new puppy needed surgery and so what do you know? I got a nice bonus out of the blue to help me pay for it! I can honestly say I have never worked for such a caring company.
    Some of the things that most impress me about the way ECS operates include:
    1. We are invited weekly to attend the executive management meeting. This includes the weekly review of operations and the weekly review of business development activities. The financial health (strong) of the company is shared so that we understand how we are doing and how what we do impacts the bottom line in a positive or negative fashion.
    2. Monthly lunch and learns are held where individual projects are spotlighted. Information is shared; lessons learned are shared.
    3. People collaborate across business units on new business opportunities, regardless of which division will own the program if won. This allows the best and brightest subject matter experts to get exposed to all types of other programs.
    4. People are allowed to transfer from one program to another, including extra-divisional, with 100% support by management. This opens the doors to all employees for career advancement.
    The company also is very active in the community, giving to those in need.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Horrible company, poor management

Former Employee - Desktop Support
    Former Employee - Desktop Support

I worked at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good, if you are deemed worthy of not being moved to a sub-contractor.

Cons

Management is allergic to speaking with employees. Company is under investigation by the US Dept of Labor for violating the Service Contracts Act(SCA) of 1965. Since they only do federal contracts, they should be quite familiar with the law, and choose to break it anyway in favor of the bottom line. Undeserving people are promoted in to jobs they are not qualified for or have any experience in. Fired 27 people during government shutdown, then called a contract agency to hire them all back with a 40% paycut(ECS dictated the pay rate) and no benefits. Then threw a lavish Christmas party where the program manager got drunk and bragged how ECS could now fire anyone working for the contractor that they just didn't like by just telling the contractor to get rid of them.

Find other employment now. After the US DOL bans ECS from bidding on federal contracts, ECS will no longer exist.

Solid company; good career opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has grown a lot over the past couple years which has increased opportunities for good performers. There is a good work/life balance. I have heard bad stories from people about their raises and job experiences at similar companies over the past couple years because of the slowdown of government spending. I think I am lucky to work at a company where I haven't experienced those problems and I think the pay is fair. The upper management seems to care about employees and does things like send a giftcard home every Thanksgiving to all employees and brings ice cream in, etc. to show appreciation.

Cons

Some of the processes are cumbersome like purchasing

Solid Company and Growing Stronger

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Delivery excellence and employee welfare are top concerns with this Company. I have had nothing but positive experiences and excellent support from coworkers and the company staff since joining. You couldn't pick a better company to work for in the challenging and fluid consulting and federal contracting world.

Cons

I have not experienced any Cons thus far. I am really satisfied working for this Company.

Keep up the good work.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open Communications and focused on putting the customer first. Sincere interest in promoting talented people from within the company. The management team seems to recognize the need for faster technology adoption. Also, focused on growth through acquisition, which theoretically should create opportunities for advancement. Company is also family oriented and throughs a nice holiday party.

Cons

Tough industry. The government doesn't seem very interested in quality these days and are more focused on cost at the expense of experience, so company is cutting cost to keep winning contracts. Could be trouble in the future.

Please be consider expanding beyond government.

Beltway Bandit - Basks in the Lavish Government Spending

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

Good Benefits, relaxed atmosphere. Company is growing at a healthy rate with increasing diversification of services

Cons

Poor Job satisfaction - warm body provider for the Federal Government and not much else. Limited value added.

Warm Body Provider for the Federal Government

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time

Pros

Benefits for the Company are Good

Cons

Ownership is looking to grow the company and then unload it - limited upward mobility

Invest Financially into your employees

If you are searching for Corporate Leadership and Ethics, keep looking. Caveat Emptor.

I have been working at Electronic Consulting Services full-time

Pros

1 Technical environment
    2. Opportunities for entry level staff
    3. Good hard working people working with you as your peers.

Cons

The 95k question. As mentioned by other reviewers, ECS is a profitable company. But don't come here expecting salary increases, bonuses or incentives. Check the salary page for below average industry pay.

Public records linked off this site show the uglier side, where corporate evidently takes care of their own, keeping a terminated executive for 2 months, to pay out a massive annual bonus? Yet staff are told there is no money and no raises. Know what you are getting into.

Caveat Emptor.

The culture starts from the top. Isolated fiefdoms allow unethical behavior. You either knowingly stay blind to it or support it. Either way it infects your business and costs you in the long run.

Pay more attention if you really want to compete with Lockheed, SAIC and the other major industry firms.