Electronic Data Systems

www.eds.com
Profile Unclaimed

133 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Working at EDS (does not apply to HP - their culture is much different)

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

- You are generally permitted to do what is necessary to get the job done - good deal of freedom - leaders trust you to be the expert they thought they hired
    - Your decisions are generally supported by management
    - Lots of good and interesting jobs

So far, I have had several excellent roles that I have enjoyed - more than at my previous employer

Cons

- Lots of uncertainty in continued employment due to acquisition - it is unsettling
    - More than one person has claimed my work as their work (coworkers) and didn't feel any shame in doing so - too bad for you is the attitude
    - Leaders are so busy they often don't have time to focus on important details until they have missed the window of opportunity to make an impact

Continue to point out where EDS brings value to the HP acquisition

HP is sinking this ship fast and furiously.

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Life at EDS before HP was acceptable. Managers, for the most part, were flexible with time off and work hours.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low (and this is post Dick Brown years). EDSers all have a target on their forehead. Even though it was mentioned, "EDS will retain its name and operate as an HP Company," that has changed. It is now HP Enterprise Services. All signs of EDS have been stripped from the building. The parking lot seems to get emptier every day. It's depressing.

Every day at work is just another opportunity to flex that target on our foreheads. I used to think highly of HP but being in their environment and seeing how things are done has really opened my eyes.

I think if HP realized the talent they have in front of them, things would be very different ... instead of capitalizing on this, they are flushing it down the toilet.

EDS CULTURE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Innovative environment.
    Great people and teams.
    Limited freedom to try out new ideas. Depends on the area and your leadership.

Cons

Difficult industry......too much being outsourced and beyond employee performance control.
    Company run by Wall Street expectations.
    Makes it difficult to be consistent in performance.

Be honest with employees about what is going to happen to them. They see a lot of colleagues losing their jobs and wonder if they will be next. Take the anxiety out of the consideration.

It is used to be fun and innovative company !!! Not anymore.

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Benefit are OK,
    Most of people has been working in this field for years and years.
    Flexibility

Cons

HP has no experience as services company. It will have negative impact for quite sometime.
    Processes are chasing processes.
    Pay cut 5% was start then addition 10% in second Qtr. Now job code changes are pure way to move salaries from the bottom to the very top. After it is done, I am sure many people will find their compensation below market level. This is pure legal scam and final nail in the coffin. Good people will leave and it is going to be crazy to get anything done for those who stay behind.

Have some balls and challenge executives. People is your core asset and you can not offshore experience.

Offshore-orama is taking a toll.

Current Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Use to be loyal to employees.
    Nice blue cubicles.
    Good people to work with.
    Good health insurance.
    Work from home used to be encouraged.

Cons

Emphasis on solving profit margins through off-shoring and throwing low-priced bodies at projects.
    Top-heavy.
    Many layers of worthless managers.
    Short-sighted pay cuts will drain the company of needed experience, and has drained all goodwill toward the company from the employees.

You're next.
    Customers will see the difference in service, and business will be lost.
    When that happens, don't blame your underpaid, inexperienced staff.

HP isn't helping

Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Team members and peers will go the extra mile for you and take pride in the quality of thier work.

Cons

Executive leadership, especially now under Mark Hurd and HP are singularly focused on shareholder value, not stakeholder value, regardless of the lipservice paid to caring about employees.

Take care of your employees, or they will leave when times get better. Forcing pay cuts, unequally on North American employees but not other country employees due to local laws and telling us it will save jobs, and then resuming work force reductions a couple months later destroyed any credibility. Equally, telling employees in April that there would be a forced shutdown the last two weeks of the year, and that we had to save 8 days of vacation, then performing work force reductions a couple months later and not paying of unused vacation is just plain unethical.

Poor excuse for an American corporation

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Allowed some folks to work from home

Cons

Poor management, unclear direction, constantly changing direction

Stop worrying so much about looking good and covering your rear and try to do what you were hired to do...support your team and do what it takes to help them do their jobs better

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Management seemed to be competent. They had an involved review process and really worked with employees to provide new opportunities. Individual feedback was great.

Cons

The long involved review process was sometimes tedious. There always seemed to be a push to move into the IT side of the business.

EDS is a nice place to work. I enjoyed my time there.

Every Day Sucks

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Not a whole lot of good things to say, that is why i'm out here reading reviews to get a new job

Cons

bad managers who will keep their foot on your head to stay a float as the work force reductions happen.

no real advice for them. I'm not a huge fan of the management so I guess I would tell them to listen to open their eyes

Suck up to the boss and survive

Former Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Decent work life balance. Most people dont work so they know that their other jobs or life is more imp than this job.

Cons

* Pathetic management. Bosses know how to suckup to their bosses and they expect it from employees. No merit. No consideration for skills, experience and knowledge. Very old school and rigid reporting structure.
    * Employees are incompetent, stuck on to old technology, dont share and dont want to share as they fear job security.
    * Management makes it worse by laying off their best people. And outsourcing jobs.
    * I have seen many career empoyees who daily come to office or work from their homes on the same deadend projects somehow. Hats off to their suckability.
    * bottom line..useless company

U have no hope.