Electronic Data Systems

Electronic Data Systems Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

Meg Whitman,

Pros
  • Flexibility and Dependability and work from home option (in 18 reviews)

• Good company and work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management & executive leadership during my time at EDS (in 35 reviews)

• Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice people, doesn't utilize the technology

Current Employee - Relocation Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Relocation Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Senior management is flexible and understanding in the EDS ExcellerateHRO department. Lots of training provided by online delivery services. Plenty of chances to improve and earn certifications using that system. Well laid out career goal planning which is done with a neat HR online platform.

Cons

Cubicle city. The relocation department purchased a software that they don't really know how to use. When the software developers came to show us how to utilize it, even they weren't sure to what extent it could perform the tasks that we wanted. Many of the employees still shuffle papers around endlessly instead of using the new technological tools, but I can't blame them since the software platform doesn't work well at all.

Get a new user-friendly software service package or have someone who is an expert at it teach it properly to all its users.

Now is the time to listen, not just issue decisions

Current Employee - Sales Support Professional  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support Professional in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Being with HP opens up a world of opportunities, with new business sectors and job types available. HP's increased diversity with the addition of EDS makes HP a stronger contender against IBM and Dell.

Cons

At the moment HP-EDS employees are working under a dark cloud due to the constant drumbeat of hints, statements, and rumors of layoffs. One never knows if next Monday will be another Black Monday. It's maddening to see EDS targeted as the focus of yet another round of layoffs, almost in the same breath with statements that EDS' strong performance helped HP offset poor results in its other business units.

Please show a commitment to listening to the people, often touted as "our greatest asset." But right now it seems as though upper management is in its castle issuing dire edicts rather than listening. Now is the time to find out what the company's people are dealing with and the obstacles they're finding to better results.

It is a clique

Former Employee - Information Architect  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Architect in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

They do have some good opportunities to learning new technologies and skills. Requesting days off were very easily accommodated. Benefits were pretty standard.

Cons

Very poor management and supervision. It reminds me of the cliques that were in high school. If you are not in the clique then you are outside. Personally witnessed several cases of favoritism and others claiming credit for work they did not perform. Supervision does not listen well to their employees in several cases I have witnessed.

Management and superivision needs to take a strong look at how they conduct themselves. They should not show favoritism and they should listen to their employees. They need to remove the cliques that are rampant.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Turn out the lights...

Former Employee - Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Good people on the team; benefits are OK, at least for now before becoming same HP. I enjoyed working for my team and felt I was supported by first-line managers. Also enjoyed working with teams on a global basis.

Cons

The problem was with upper management. Most acquisitions are not good for the rank and file and it's annoying when management tries to pretend all will be better, more opportunity, etc. Why pretend? HP has ruined the company. The first 5% salary cut was hard, but at least it was across all of HP and EDS. The extra 10% cut in April was only on EDS in the US--not fair and did not stop the layoffs. Most people were livid, but had little choice because of the bad economy. As soon as times are better, those few left will also hit the road.

None to give-it's over.

All things considered, potential to be great if you have the will to get through current climate

Current Employee - Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Great learning and development opportunities, but you mostly have to direct your own development, due to the tremendous wealth of experts throughout the organization.

Working at a market leader provides access to ideas and capabilities you won't get in smaller organizations.

Cons

Difficult being the acquired company, but that is what it is and is to be expected in the near term, when two large organizations come together.

Learning to do things the HP Way is not always "new" (aside from new terminology) but you may feel like your experience is not valued as highly as it could be when interacting with your new HP bosses.

Keep moving fast and lets us know when we are past the most difficult parts of becoming HP

EDS used to be great... HP is destroying us.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

The people I work with a are great, my job is challening and I enjoy what I do. My direct management is very flexiable with my scheduling and allows work from home when needed. This is a big positive in my book. There are not many positives now though since HP came in.

Cons

EDS used to be a great place to work before the merger with HP. Since that time HP has been coming coming through with an axe and chopping EDS apart. It is not the same place it was when I joined 12 years ago, or even 1 year ago. The first big downside is HP came in and cut everyones base salary by 5%. Even though the company reported a profit. To pour salt in that wound all US based EDS employees got an addtional 10% pay cut. Again even though EDS is making a healthy profit. This has put quite a hardship on my personal finances as my salary is my total compensation. And my moral and drive to give 100 and even 110% effort is in the tank. HP touts is it a pay for performance company but nowhere is my compensation plan does it state what goals I need to meet. I am in a billable, client facing role and work my butt off nights and weekends and I am not holding my breath on getting any type of performance bonus to make up for the paycuts.

Remeber the little guys, the ones out in front of clients eveyday, the ones who do all the real work for the company which allows you to get your healthy bonus and stock options. I have no issue with large executive bonus, but it is a slap in the face when my total compensation gets cut by 15% and you still get ungodly amounts of money in your pockets.

Joe Eazor cuts the workforce pay, while getting over 400% bonus.

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn. If you work hard you can go through the ranks You are surrounded by smart people and in most positions you can learn from those people. In addition, you can also mentor othes. The people (non-management) are exceptional people. To work with them is a privilege.

Cons

Below average compensation. Joe Eazor cuts the workforce pay, while getting over 400% bonus. Even Hurd, Livermore and the rest of these execs get big bonuses over and over, while cutting the people who deliver by 5%, 10% and 15%. If you look at their total compensation package, their pay was cut by less than 1%

Stop worrying about your bonuses and worry about the people who deliver.

An HP Company....thank goodness!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Due to the HP acquisition, it will look great on your resume. EDS has employees whom have been with the company well over ten years and are willing to share their experiences, assist in navigating through the multi-layered, top-heavy management team.

Cons

Lack of innovation in company strategy
    Lack of professional development
    Top-heavy senior leadership, many of whom should have been gone a long time, yet somehow survived the rounds of lay-offs

Lose the dead weight
    Bring in and retain more innovative leaders

With HP and EDS - we are winning new business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

With the addition of HP to EDS, I think that we can become an IT powerhouse. I have already seen examples where we are now winning new business due to the ability to offer both the services that EDS historically had with the hardware/software component.

Cons

In the midst of any integration effort, there is uncertainty and change that does not always appear to be logical at first. Some of the reduction targets don't carry so much rational approach. Given that the reductions also seem to appear about every other day, it can make the environment a little unsettling.

Keep providing as much information about where HP will take the business

A succession of managers who worked to shut down the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Large scale mainframe service bureau environment. At the time there was a diverse mix of different clients and industries with various expectations. This presented an opportunity to become successful in a large shop, something that cannot be gained in a smaller scale environment.

Cons

Management turnover every two years. About the time your manager knew you well enough to recommend promotion or provide recognition, he moves on and someone who knows nothing about you comes in. Management discretion mostly amounted to management not doing anything to increase your position or compensation. I had a few good managers but I had some that I had to move to another area to escape. There were some who should not have been managers as well.

I was there when the stock dropped off the edge and never recovered. Someone is practicing deception and someone else is believing them.

Worked for Electronic Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!