Electronic Data Systems

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Electronic Data Systems Chairman and Executive Vice President Joe Eazor

Joe Eazor

Pros
  • Flexibility and Dependability and work from home option(in 18 reviews)

• Good company and work/life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management & executive leadership during my time at EDS(in 35 reviews)

• Upper management and lack of strong sales(in 24 reviews)

Worst job in 32 years in IT

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Troy, MI

Pros- Initial training programs for new graduates
    - Was once a great company
    - Was once full of good people
    - Was once led by Ross Perot

Cons- Work harder than ever for the worst raises that are scheduled to be late every year so you only get 4 increases every 5 years at best.
    - Has been a sinking ship for 30 years.
    - Old school management that gets the worst out of people by making them despise their employer.
    - Unethical practices made it an embarrassment to admit who signed my checks.
    - What you do means nothing, who you know means everything.

Advice to Senior Management- People are not cogs.
    - People have lives outside of work.

failed management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey pick nice people to answer the phone.

ConsCannot figure out a way to keep us busy until suddenly we are on 50 hour weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that not all great managers come from India

Overtime is always expected

Project Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsLearning library available to expand your skills ...if you ever had any free time.

ConsExcessive overtime is always expected. Deadlines are unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher project managers that present resource leveled plans and stop cutting 40% from the timeline but still expecting 110% of the workload to be completed. What happened to work life balance?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old fashioned industrial-era style management

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

ProsLarge company benefits like medical care and etc.

ConsManagement really SUCKS, with too many insane corporate policies and micromanagement that stalls creativity and innovation. Dilbert-like workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let some good professionals in.

Much better off if you don't ask any questions about policies and just accept whatever you are told.

Former Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Relaxed schedule
    - Easy place to work
    - Great co-workers that help you when needed and understand and help with your frustration at work

Cons- No opportunity for career advancement and growth.
    - No orientation / training when you are first hired or afterward; Management turns down training requests

Advice to Senior ManagementIn a completely anonymous survey, ask your employees for feedback so that you can begin to understand what is going on in your company.Avoid at all costs, particularly new college graduates as the culture is very bad. Dont waste your time here

BAD WORK CULTURE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosalmost nothing i found good .

Constoo many to mentioned here and business model is very bad.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to manage humar resource properly

Bunch of Liars

Senior Account Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you can get a decent manager, which is rare, you could get good training. The trick is to get a profitable account with good managers, some decent role models. Very few, but they do exist.

ConsLies about raises, bonuses, potential etc. This company is totally without any conscience toward its employees, its customers etc. Jobs are priced for 35 per cent profit, plus at least 10 contingency, travel, training etc. then when the contract is signed, this is all rolled into a stretch profit against which the manager is measured. The employee is in fact short changed, the customer gets little of the quality and training he has paid for and the contract is strictly managed against change control to insure the customer is charged for all changes (contingency). If you do business with EDS, make sure you have a strong contract with penalties. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would carefully review all senior managers expenses, invest in a serious internal audit team to assess the actual condition of projects, stop sending work to India where the culture is risk adverse and they will actually walk away if they have issues with delivery. EDS has had some very poor senior management in recent years (especially in Europe) which has now mostly retired on unearned pensions, however, the damage will take years to repair.

The most miserable experience of my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsPay and benefits are very reasonable

ConsThis place is literally modern-day slavery on American soil. The culture and business model appears to be to bring in labor from off-shore and work people to death under threat of deportation. At one point, my whole team was made to stay until 9:30pm for an upcoming "meeting", at which time we were corralled into a room and told our project was behind and we were all going to start working 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is one example of many instances of mistreatment, and the project was mismanaged terribly. Upon quitting, I was not paid for my last several days of work. This culture started before EDS bought out Saber Corp and continued uninterrupted, but hopefully one day EDS will recognize the issues and clean this place up.

crappy and boring

Advanced Project Analyst (Former Employee)

Proslots of parking, spacious working spaces

Consdepressing work environment, lazy unmotivated people

Toxic

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsYou could turn up and leave when you wanted to. They pay you.

ConsEverything else. They bully, they manage everything by spreadsheets, think Project Managers just need to wear a suit to qualify, they bully some more. Oh and they bully.

e.g. a manager kept ringing the company mobile I had, despite me being sat at my desk next to a landline. I suggested the landline as the only times I was away were: toilet breaks, lunch or in the server room doing work. He failed to agree and kept the ringing mobile.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a backbone and grow up (stop bullying). PS: HP bought them after I left, so HP sack the bullies not the techies.

Worked for Electronic Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!