Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Reset

1. There is no way to grow or get raises regularly within EDS

Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA

Pros

There are very little reasons to work for EDS, the only thing I can think of was the plenty of vacation time up front . Most employees get 3 weeks of vacation on their first day. EDS tries to advertise to their employees that they are one of the best places to work, but they are wrong. They even try to get their employees to vote them into an external online poll for best places to work but most people just laugh at it. Overall, EDS sucks and I would not recommend anyone work at EDS since filling out this portion of the survey was very hard for me.

Cons

Raises are very far apart, most employees get it after 18 months and they are very little, which is ridiculous. After 3 years of working you barely get 2 raises. EDS should learn how to compensate their workers. There is no way to grow within EDS and they do not care what kind of education you have when considering a promotion. You have to jump through hoops before anyone would even inform you how to get a promotion and then they basically tell you its no way it is going to happen.

Advice to Management

Give raises and promotions more often

Every Day Sucks

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

Office was close to my house.

Cons

Rules, more rules, and even more rules. Backstabbing employees jockeying for position. Doesn't feel like a real job, more like a "Lord of the Flies" remake. EDS might be good for certain political types who want to slowly climb the ladder in a company with a very strong culture.

Advice to Management

I think they know what they are doing, I just don't agree with it.

EDS - "the writing is on the wall"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

There are none really. I would say the oppty to work from home when I need to. I would say benefits are ok, and in line with the industry standards. People you work with is another good point. There are some great smart knowlegable people working.

Cons

No communication, organization, raises, feedback on performance. Losing clients left and right. The overlying threat of layoffs have folks scared. You never know when you are going to get the call to come to HR. People have packed up their desks taken all personal belongs home. Moral is at an alltime low. When the announcement was made of the mass layoffs, no communication as to the potential direct impact to us. It was the most unproductive day in a long time. People are just waiting to be layed off. They are like, pick me! give me the severance package.

Advice to Management

Get a clue...you have the wrong people in key positions. You have people sitting around doing nothing, on the internet all day. Then you have staff clearly in the wrong position. You do not communicate to staff, so no one knows what is going on.

5. disappointment

Former Employee - Advanced Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Advanced Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK

Pros

great for a first job not a career. The pay is very low and the stress is extremely high for jobs of this caliber. I would not recommend this for anyone.

Cons

you're a number -horrible management. Ron R. has run this company into the ground what a way to go! I hope others can gain some useful insight. What ever happened to getting paid well for a job well done and the best shore initiative really drives down the moral of those who work in the states. Why is it such a dirty word to be an American company. I don't know anymore.But then again who does know these days? Who?

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. NOt much else to say.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

The lack of accountability and for me a good commute.

Cons

The compensation. I recently learned, the hard way, that the salary you get when you are hired is pretty much it for your career. Sure, every 15 months you get a few bucks but you get absolutely nothing when you are promoted if your current salary overlaps the range of your new position. So essentially I earn as much as 25% less than new people hired into the same position I am in.

Advice to Management

Do away with the policy of not giving out raises with promotions. You should not be punished for loyalty to the company.

EDS Management needs to wake up and start listening to their employees

Former Employee - Service Center Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Service Center Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

The best reasons to work at EDS is to earn a somewhat decent paycheck, have the ability to work either a condensed shift, flextime, or telecommute, and receive medical benefits. EDS also provides free online courses to take, but you have to do these at work. At one time, EDS was a great company to work for, but now, it's just a place to work while you look for a better job. There are some great people that still work at EDS, but are stuck in their job because of the current job market. There really isn't too many good reasons to work at EDS except for earning a paycheck. Oh, and you get vacation. Other than that, EDS basically sucks.

Cons

The lousy management! My manager was located in Michigan while I was in Plano, TX. I never met him and only spoke to him maybe two to three times a year and that was to conduct my performance review. Senior management was also out of tune with their employees. They do not associate with their employees and there is little to no communication from them. They have no idea how bad morale is there and probably do not care. It's very difficult to get a raise, there are no bonuses, and there is no recognition for performance. The employees are overworked and understaffed and this causes a conflict when trying to take vacation. No time for lunch, unless you are a manager, then you can take all the time that you want. I had not been able to take a lunch for the last 4 years due to lack of coverage, but management didn't care.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP and talk to your employees and listen to them! Learn how to lead by example and then your employees will start to respect you. Tell them what a great job they are doing instead of focusing only on their mistakes.

Save your self a lot of trouble, do not work for the Morally Bankrupt

Former Employee - Customer Technical Support Representative in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Technical Support Representative in Plano, TX

Pros

Can not think of any reason to work for them. Benefits package and eduation plans are some what helpful.

Cons

Constant lies and incompetence, they monitor everything employees do and pry into your private life. Constant humiliation and more lies. Schedule overtime and then cancel it. Never tell you the truth.

Advice to Management

If there really is a God who rules the Universe , he is duty bound to punish you.

EDS -- Don't go there!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Before the HP transaction the Benefits program was fair. The company does sponsor 60 hours of training per year but you normally have to do this on your own time.

Cons

The chief goal was always to cut cost. Outsourcing was a way of life and if it could be done at a lower cost location then the mine set of management was to relocation. It is too large and the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

Advice to Management

Cut management level employees and not worker bees. The customers need to have the work done.

EDS - a one great company on a significant decline due to management incompetence

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bedminster, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bedminster, NJ

Pros

It is better than being unemployed. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, on the first day it was announced my group would be outsource to EDS, when a colleague called me and asked what EDS stands for. “What does EDS stand for,” I asked. “Every day sucks,” he replied. EDS turned out to be one of the most deceptively managed companies I have ever worked for. They treat everyone like a number, and they measure that against the value of your job if outsourced to India. While I heard over and over that consistent business processes were necessary to business growth within EDS, the MPhasis (India) subsidiary cherry-picked what business processes they would adhere to. Over and over, multiple standards like this were allowed by management. Employees were measured by skill level and training. While MPhasis personnel were eager to fit into US projects, they were given waivers on whether they had a skill fit. Because the India resources were so cheap, and could be billed at the same rate as an American, it behove EDS management strategy to do whatever it could take to replace American jobs with jobs in India, even if the India resources were less qualified. No matter how well you are rated in the Performance Management process, your job is liable to be outsourced – i.e., being graded well in the Performance Management process is no guarantee of job security; in fact, EDS is known for “forced rankings” that virtually guarantee most personnel will not get a good rating. At EDS, leadership was all about telling people they were lucky to keep their jobs, and screwing them if it was convenient. EDS is full of employees who are bitter, resentful, or fearful. There is a widespread common understanding that EDS management has no interest in employee development and honest communications. Strategies change often, and if anyone dares to question them there are problems. In one company-wide employee broadcast, with Ron Rittenmeyer, it was pointed out that EDS gets many contracts that end up being unprofitable, and this needed to stop. No one would dare to speak up and ask why less-skilled India resources, with no effective support or links to how things are done in the USA, could be a factor when placed into key positions in the project hierarchy. At EDS, there is still a cow pasture, which is really a way to get a tax break by somehow claiming the HQ land has agricultural usage. Aside from these cows, management is the next “sacred cow,” and they do what they want, at the company’s expense. Hopefully when HP takes over they will purge EDS of these horrid narcissists. It is amazing to state, however, that there are many good people at EDS, notwithstanding how they are treated. If you are desperate for a job, does it really matter how you are treated?

Cons

Management is totally incompetent and deceptive. Your job is always being sized up to see if it can be replaced by a less-competent hire in India. Also, if you are outsourced to EDS, please be aware of how job families and salary ranges worked. For me, I was mistakenly moved to a salary range that was not equivalent to my previous company's job. I was able to get this corrected because I had saved all my previous salary information. Not everyone does this -- EDS has no shame in making "mistakes" like this.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees for once, without threatening to replace their jobs with less-qualified India resources.

EDS has been in a Coma for years....

Current Employee - Clockwatcher
    Current Employee - Clockwatcher

Pros

To laugh at the incompetency and b.s. that characterizes 99% of management's actions and behavior. The so called merger of EDS with HP is a bunch of balogna that is really a buyout of EDS by HP. Upper management will be getting lucrative packages that could have been used to build a business model that would have improve the sales force, retrain employees in newer technologies and focus on increasing revenue rather than reducing costs. Reducing costs in EDS is equivalent to American layoffs and an increased off-shore workforce.

Cons

Watching good people get canned.

Advice to Management

Why other? They never have or ever will listen to the working folks.

RSS Feed </> Embed