Electronic Data Systems Reviews

22 reviews filtered by
  • Tulsa, OK Area
3.1
Meg Whitman,

1. Great place to work. Wonderful people, good pay.

Former Employee - Site Support in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Site Support in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EDS took a chance on someone who was new to the IT field, and they treated me well. I learned so much about datacenters and how physical security should be run while I was there. The people there were very helpful and understanding when it came to a new guy who was still learning his way.

Cons

Unfortunately, sometimes management was not approachable. Not my immediate boss, he was actually very approachable, but upper management. When I expressed my need to move forward with my career, it was met with an attitude that it was not important.

Advice to Management

When someone is looking to move forward with their career, advancing themselves, they may be a valuable asset to you. Keep this in mind when an employee approaches you about wanting to move forward and do more.

2. Fabulous

Former Employee - Information Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Information Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Flexibility and Dependability and work from home option.

Cons

Time sheet organization and bucketing system is really bad

Data analysis

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Big organization provides options to move around locations

Cons

They prefer contractors to bring cost down. Contractors mostly underperform and get away with it

Advice to Management

Please focus on value to clients not just on cost cutting

Better than nothing, but most people could do better

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

The company was relatively stable and never bounced a check. Vacation time was reasonable and pay was enough to live on. I did learn a bit a first.

Cons

Strong emphasis on hierarchy and policy over accomplishing work. Thick layers of bureacracy in the way of getting anything done, and upper management treated employees like numbers. Company slogans loudly proclaimed an emphasis on quality, while a broad array of individual policies discouraged it in favor of short-sighted cost-cutting and CYA.

Advice to Management

Live up to your proclaimed goals and ideals instead of paying them lip service. Increased quality has a cost, so if you want it that cost needs to be paid. Perpetual quarterly cost-cutting keeps the stock up temporarily, but it leads to a slow death spiral as all of the quality employees leave for better environments and pay.

EDS was my nightmare

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

For a while, it was OK - after Dick Brown and before Rittenmeyer sold out to HP.

Cons

forced bell curves, must be x number of poor performers. Even if there aren't. Stopped giving raises. Cut pay.

Advice to Management

fess up to your customers that you are inept and get out of the way.

7. Senior Infrastructure Specialist

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Work from home 2 day's a weeks.

Cons

80hr work weeks, No leadership at the account levels. No raises in 3 years. Pay cuts and layoffs

Advice to Management

Take some off your executive bonuses and reward the people left. They are your biggest EDS fans and are busting their butts to make it through these tough times. Its time to downsize the account executives, You are paying these guys way to much money when the account managers do all the work and would suffice. Also take a look at the administrative positions. You can afford to let anymore technical people go with out seeing it hit your account profit margins.

EDS where the customer does not come first.

Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Working at EDS is better than Welfare.

Cons

Layoffs every quarter (literally) In the past 7 years that I have worked for EDS ther have been 24 layoffs. If your called back you have to take a 35% paycut if you accept. US Jobs are moving to Argentina and India as fast as possible. EDS contines to cut services to their customers who are paying for services because they do not have the manpower due to constant layoffs. Health benefits continue to deteriorate. Where we used to have a copay now there is a $1000.00 deductable to satisfy before the company pays anything. Its hard to take pride in your work anymore. You have to just get it done, no time to double check anything because there is so much work to do, just get it done and move on to the next issue.

Advice to Management

I would be interested to know what Senior Management thinks is the reason more and more customers are suing EDS. They need to start caring about the customer and not only the bottom line.

Mostly an average, above average place to work.

Former Employee - Team Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

Great Pay scales and the raises were pretty decent too. Not at every performance review, but if you did a good job you got payed for it one way or the other.
    You can keep your anonymity and get lost in the multitude, if that is what rocks your boat. Sometimes it is nice to get lost in the crowd!
    Good Benefits...or I should say great benefits! Discounts, education/training reimbursement, vacation, insurance, tools, etc.

Cons

Got to be in a clique to be promoted...even then it takes forever. You usually stay one or two levels above or below where you come in--position wise.
    Contract driven...if the client looks elsewhere and replaces EDS as the service provider you're out of a job.
    Leadership is old-school and slow for today's market.

Advice to Management

Need an influx of young-new blood, need to promote from within and frequently, get rid of the deadwood

10. Ups and Downs of EDS

Current Employee - Telecom Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Telecom Analyst in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

I was fairly compensated at EDS.

Cons

Headquarters in Plano, TX is the sole focus. Other locations are easily forgotten until something goes wrong. Satelite locations rarely see their leadership. The manager comes three times a year. Anyone higher than the manager is typicallly not seen.

Headquarter should learn to distribute email updates to the departments that required that information. Sending out blanket emails to the whole company that only applies to certain departments is not a good use of employee's time.

Advice to Management

Remember employees working outside of Plano. Reduce your excessively high wages to allow for better compensation for employees and to buy supplies.

Survivor mode = outlast WFR actions

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Electronic Data Systems

Pros

There are opportunities to move to another group to broaden scope of experience.

Cons

The challenge today is the anxiety and apprehension of whether or not you will survive to see another week of employment. All due to the acquisition by HP and the increasing drive to offshore the basic jobs to India and Argentina. Unfortunately, we are seeing alot of work coming back that is either wrong or the 'Best Shore' folks state they do not know how to do. The people that are getting hired are quite personable, if sometimes difficult to understand on conferendce calls, but they are not trained to do the jobs for which they are hired and so we keep having to carry the load. Clients are not happy and yet there is not follow through on the intangible costs of all this rework.

Cost cutting just for the sake of improving the company balance sheet is insane and that is what appears to be happening.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to the front line managers to understand that just because you want them to meet cost reduction targets by WFR there is a consequence for doing it and it will directly impact the clients no matter that you like to say it will not.l

Electronic Data Systems Photos