Elekta Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
74 reviews filtered by
2.7
Niklas Savander

Pros
  • Great people and ability to make an impact if you are a hard worker (in 4 reviews)

• Typical compensation package being offered (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Can use better upper management, more structured career path (in 4 reviews)

• poor management, slow to make decisions (in 3 reviews)

Still Great, but seriously waning....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Elekta

Pros

1. Flex time
    2. Good equipment
    3. Moral boosting activities.
    4. Creative freedom (within reason)

Cons

1. Short-sighted management
    2. High pressure releases of inferior quality
    3. Management spin doctors on quality problems
    4. "Commitment to Quality over Quantity" are words without action.

This review is nearly a year old and resubmitted. The only change now is a lack of responsibility for the "deciders". Quality continues its decline and the causes are not addressed. I felt compelled to update this review to reflect the only possible outcome from this continued decline. This company cannot continue as a medical device provider if the quality does not improve. Quality will not improve until changes are made to fix the broken cycle of cowboy programming without accountability. I have to downgrade the outlook to negative.

Conflict is absolutely necessary to achieve positive results. seemingly opposing goals by QA/Testing and development is necessary. The goal of QA should be bug free software. The goal of dev should be feature rich software. When dev controls the schedule, tests and procedures for releasing software and testing reports to development, quality will suffer. These groups need to be separate and held accountable for achieving the goals. If dev cannot get the new feature through the testers because it has bugs, shame on dev. If the testers are missing bugs during testing shame on QA. But when you have dev stating what tests will be run and when the software is ready for release, be assured the quality will not follow.

I have fought for improving the quality of this software, even though it is far out of my sphere of influence. My pleas have been ignored but I am sure eventually, this will be fixed. I only hope it is sooner than later as the cost of these errors could be far greater than product management is aware.

Office politics out of control in the US ATL office within the QA/RA department. Its was like I was back in high school.

Former Employee - QA Engineer (US)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer (US)

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of left overs for the taking of high-end catered food daily in the Atlanta office for underpaid employees trying to make ends meet on a below industry level salary.
    One trip to the Crawley, UK office taught me that not all of Elekta was broken. My Crawley trip was a positive upbeat and professional experience that allowed me to understand that there was indeed chronic management issues (due to poor people management selection and retention) in the ATL office.

Cons

Worst office politics work experience in my 15+ year career experienced was experienced at the US ATL office.
    My experience at Elekta (US ATL) would have made a good case study for a college business class for how the retention of poor people managers can ruin an office environment and kill employee morale.
    While not all ATL management were guilty of poor behavior and professionalism the US QA/RA management were by far the worst group of managers I have ever experienced within a global medical device company in my career.
    I watched repeatedly as smart capable employees with options of doing better left after they caught on what was broken in the US office.
    Narcissistic and immature US QA/RA manager selection and retention resulted in an environment where not much got done and what was done was not done well.
    I witnessed the company's inability to retain smart hard dedicated mid to lower level employees (revolving door).
    Repetitive request for training and travel for company exposure was ignored by my managers with the same repetitive excuse of "its not in the budget" all the while my managers traveled internationally for weeks on end for no apparent reasons other than to travel and stay detached from US QA/RA responsibilities and work.
    Since being forced to leave for not playing the politics I have learned that most of the decent professional people I did meet at Elekta are no longer with the company.

Swedish senior management should really pay attention and realize that the revolving door in the Atlanta office really does have a fundamental cause - very poor selection of people managers in senior level positions that have no business managing people. Not all "managers" can manage other people its a learned skill. Some people are better managing projects then managing people please make note of this. Screen your people mangers you have in place. Have processes in place that allows employees to rate their mangers and have HR manage this process to eliminate poor people managers. Take action and make the US Elekta office a place that attracts talent not repels talent.

Great employees but management doesn't have an understanding of the American market.

Former Employee - Sales Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent sales and technical staff.

Cons

Salaries low compared to competition.

Understand the American market.

Not the best time of my life.

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of employees that are dedicated to the cause of improving patient care for Cancer Treatment. They care about the business and their jobs. Those same people are a blessing to be around and work with.

Cons

Some Management believes, "this is the way we have always done business no need to change." They force what they think is right onto everyone no matter the cost almost bully like. Was even told once that MD BUYLINE a company that measures customer satisfaction was a joke, that Companies pay MD BUYLINE for good reviews.. This was after approaching that manager and advising him of numerous complaints, and the matching complaints and results from MD BUYLINE. (this is just one example)

You have to work hard to get paid

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you get overtime you can make decent money.

Cons

Traveling jobs allowed very very little time at home. And the office workers don't understand what it's like to live in hotels for a living. No upward mobility. Horrible insurance.

Fire some execs, company's that are top heavy will fall over

TOP Heavy on Management

Former Employee - Service in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Service in Remote, OR

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good employees. Work hard, though allows flexibility when working remote.

Cons

Not enough Indians, too many Chiefs. As company was laying off dozens of employees, they were hiring management. Company decided than, to hire Contract Consultants to replace the Full Time Employees, while not hiring one full time employee in the 3 months past the lay offs. (not managers, which they did hire more)Meanwhile, the topic of all meetings are revenue, thought he staff providing the service to produce the revenue is not being replaced.

Change Company Values. Replace Management. Used to be proud to work for Elekta, now every employee is scared and undervalued. Middle Management is afraid to lose their own jobs, thus do not speak out.

All Road Warriors can be replaced

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meet some great people. Learn to be VERY independent. Bank you miles and hotel points for personal vacations (if you every get time off to use them).

Cons

I was offered 3 promotions only to be back in my very first position after almost a decade. If you get hired into Education, you will stay there. They will NOT let you grow if you are good at what you do.

Hiring people from the outside who don't know/understand the industry is not the best choice. Growing and nurturing talent is Management 101. Way too top heavy. Too many dictators and not enough worker-bees.

An international company trying to redefine itself in midstream--but with foggy glasses.

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

okay benefits, i.e., PTO, matching 401k, dental, medical, casual dress

Cons

North American offices are full of politics in the hiring, firing, promoting and product decisions.
    They've acquired several smaller companies, which has led to many layoffs and a constant state of things be influx.

Come down from your ivory towers and listen to those doing the work not those who report to you what they want you to think is happening.

A very top heavy organization that needs trimming at the top levels. Compensation plan needs to be revisited as well.

I worked at Elekta full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only asset is the few dedicated people that are left.

Cons

- Salaries are not competitive
    - Management is poor
    - Politics are rampant
    - HR is virtually non existent

11. Very dedicated people

I have been working at Elekta

Pros

Dynamic environment, and new projects

Cons

Management is not very approachable

Elekta Photos