Element K Reviews

29 reviews filtered by

If you want your career to die, Element K is for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Element K

Pros

The benefits are not bad, but getting worse.
    The people are generally nice to work with.
    It is a casual, yet professional atmosphere.

Cons

If you want your career to die, Element K is for you.
    You can expect more work, for less pay, year after year.
    If parent company NIIT has their way, your job may be transitioned over to India. (Though lots of people are in disbelief.)
    No opportunities for career advancement.

Be more truthful about the situation. Do not tell everyone things are ok, when things are not ok. Adjust your expectations to match the size of the work force instead of fostering failure after failure.

Laid back place but not for advancement

Former Employee - Worked In CDS in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Worked In CDS in Rochester, NY

I worked at Element K

Pros

Laid back
    Decent people
    Able to balance personal and work life
    Convenient to shopping areas and many of eateries
    Causal

Cons

Low pay
    Managers played to favorites
    No real set career path for most positions within the company.
    No real accountability for errors

Please follow some local successful companies in the Rochester area and observe how they treat ALL of their employees.

Update technology and training oppt's.

3. Relaxed environment, but little incentive and iffy management

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Relaxed dress code - shorts in the summer.
    Flexible hours - management is very understanding about family and health time off and making up time on another day.
    Intelligent, friendly people and very little politics.
    They pay a large percentage of health insurance premiums and offer a very nice plan.

Cons

Little incentive provided in any way - no bonuses, only token recognition at poorly attended staff meetings, few regular raises.
    Poor middle and upper management. Many inexperienced managers and many managers working outside of their specialty.

Make more of an effort to appropriately qualify accounts while maintaining reasonable customer expectations. A US based workforce can not compete with overseas based companies on price, you need to compete on quality and service. When you over-promise and under-deliver, while managers who are working beyond their training and expertise are simultaneously not listening to the workers 'in the trenches', you end up with poor customer retention, non-existent margins, and a downward spiral for a business.

A day at the beach meets Dilbert

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Network Administrator in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Element K

Pros

There are some really great people that work at EK. They have some of the most intelligent engineers as well as some very creative people. They have a few really great people in middle to upper management. The pay is decent and the benefits are fairly decent. EK has a lot of upside potential.

Cons

Some departments have terrible managers. Don't even bother trying to negotiate compensation package. Old technology, overworked staff in certain departments.

What is our vision? How are our actions aligned with our vision, mission, and goals?

6. Beware of layoffs!

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Element K

Pros

Depending on your position, they allow a lot of freedom, such as working from home. they don't watch you over your shoulder all day as long as you're getting your work done.

Cons

They just laid off 30% of the workforce. A lot of work gets sent to India. Inconsistent cash flow into the organization. Definitely a company getting punded by the economy.

Focus more on quality and get back to basics. Stop worrying so much about landing the big contract and put more energy into the small businesses that cannot afford a training dept of their own.

7. A company that was once great, and still has a lot of potential despite some retention challenges.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Element K

Pros

Flexible schedules, relaxed environment & dress code, appreciation for family and work/life balance. The people that work at Element K are friendly, very smart, and demonstrate a great deal of respect for diversity. There was (at least was when I worked there) a corporate shut down every 4th of July week, which gave everyone a chance to relax over the summer. There are internal systems in place for employees to network with each other, form discussion groups, and connect beyond work related tasks.

Cons

Limited career paths, heavy focus on overseas outsourcing, much more attention paid to offshore workers career needs rather than a balanced approach for total company. Depending on the department you work in, you could make a better than average salary or a lower than average salary. No 401k matching (was taken away when I was there, along with gym memberships and incentive plans, but some or all may be back now. Unsure.)

Recognize and reward accomplishments consistently, across all departments.

8. Element K moves into a new phase and has the opportunity to become a huge player in this space.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Element K has extremaly flexible solutions to offer.

Cons

Finding their voice in a quickly changing environment.

Align the teams, have consistent message and focus!

9. Element K is a fun place to gain some experience out of school, but no place to have a serious career.

Current Employee - Developer II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Developer II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Element K

Pros

Fellow employess are good people, which makes for a fun work environment. Hours are pretty flexible, too.

Cons

Poor pay, and the technologies we use are years behind what's current in the industry. Your career will die here. Also, we lose money on a lot of the deals we agree to with clients (and many are way too smalltime). We'll actually lose big money just to add a client to our portfolio. Also, everything we do is rushed, with no planning.

Enable us to get up to date with the tools we use, pay us the going rate.

10. It was a good place to work and a good place to learn new stuff.

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Chennai (India)

I worked at Element K full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked there when the company was undergoing a transition - from a traditional company with traditional systems and processes, to a modern company. That was an exciting environment to learn new things. Very welcoming.

Cons

There was always this feeling at the back of your mind that you were automatically supposed to put work at the top of your priority, even if you were about to die.

11. A dream company

I worked at Element K (less than a year)

Pros

You will feel at home

Cons

Doesn't have a good cafeteria

Element K Photos