Element Materials Technology

Worked at Element Materials Technology and also when it was Stork

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Element Materials Technology full-time

Pros

Growing company. Good financial results. Company was sold to 3i, a Private Equity company out of the UK.

Cons

It was a good company under Stork. Now under 3i the focus is to maximize EBITDA at whatever cost. People are not first but financial results are. Company is now being dressed up to prepare for a sale to another investor. Company focus is 1 year and not long term.

Don't lose track of long term plans.

If you want to be under compensated and lied to this is the company for you.

Current Employee - Wind Farm Tech in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Wind Farm Tech in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Element Materials Technology

Pros

All the hours you can work. (Whether you want them or not )

Cons

Lied to about per diem. The per diem will not cover lodging. They say you can get home but they are so short handed that works out to once a quarter if you are lucky and there is coverage. Pay is lower than the industry standard. Management will cuss you and berate you if you ask any questions about missing pay. Oh yeah, they will "accidentally" forget to enter hours or release your per diem. They have a secondary per diem option where they say they pay for lodging. If you take it you WILL be placed in the cheapest place they can find no matter how unsafe or disgusting. Often times up to an hour away from the job site and travel time is not paid. If they still feel that lodging costs are too high they will switch you to a $50 per day per diem for food AND lodging and tell you to figure it out. They say overtime is available, when they should say mandatory. Expect 70-80 hours on 7 day weeks for months at a time. They do NOT offer raises after 90 or even 120 days as promised.

Turn over is extremely high. Abut 1 out of 10 hires makes 90 days.

Career advancement does not exist. If you ask every manager will give you a reason why it is not under their scope of responsibility.

Find a local company and work for them. This job is for single men who have no expenses to care for at home!!!!

STOP LYING WHEN YOU HIRE PEOPLE.

Company is very fragmented. Upper management has no idea what goes on at ground level.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Element Materials Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to do a lot of "off the wall" testing for large companies. It's a great learning opportunity. You get to see what everyone does wrong and what everyone does right. You are better prepared for troubleshooting as an engineer after working here.

You will have a great chance to "get in" with a company that you want to work with after meeting their engineering managers.

Cons

Company is on a trend of trying to grow while cutting costs. Our company was purchased by Element and middle managers were not changed. This resulted in a larger disconnect of what happens here vs what upper managers see. We still have a tiny company spending mindset while trying to be a larger company that does more work and more technical work. Some equipment is over 20 years old and should have been replaced 10 years ago. With the current rules of capital budgeting and purchase of new equipment, our location is destined to lose capabilities until it is unprofitable. Due to equipment failures this year , we are not able to meet revenue goals and missed out on all but the first quarter bonus. We also lost our most experienced and valuable expert employees due to disputes with middle managers about overwork and underpayment. It is common for some salaried employees to be forced to work 50-60 hours every week and to come in on holidays.

Healthcare costs have doubled over the last two years due to reduced company contribution. Pay raises are constrained between 1% and 3% per year and depend on greatly exceeding expectations. I don't think it is possible to exceed expectations as everyone complains that you can never work hard enough to achieve this.

Our location has no Christmas party other than a "Dirty Santa" in the lunch room and a mere $200 Christmas bonus for every employee regardless of position. Typically a Christmas bonus with other companies is equivalent to 80 hours of base pay with extra for excessive profit.

I'm embarrassed to give tours of our lab due to the disrepair and antiquity of our lab and equipment. I'm extremely tired of the "buy the cheapest option" mentality.

Speaking to our CEO and upper management outside our location: Please shake up our location management! Our managers are of no help and are mainly an encumbrance to our productivity. Our location is completely unsafe and it takes years to get anything that we need. Rather than hiring good employees, we keep getting friends of the Lab Director.

Occasionally working over 40 hours a week is expected in any job when extra work comes in. Regularly working 60 hours a week or more has no justification. Either purchase new equipment to allow faster work or hire more staff.

Not a good choice for those starting a career

Former Employee - Test Technician in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I worked at Element Materials Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable pay for untrained (GED only) employees

Cons

Middle management incompetent.

Lack of vision/leadership for where company is going and how it will get there

You have serious issues in middle management.

When it is acceptable for a department director to say to a customer: "That's not my problem" you are inviting your customers to go elsewhere.

Management needs to be trained in customer service, and human resources. Telling brand new employees to "Just don't get injured" is unprofessional and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Take more time training and vetting middle management and your productivity and good reputation will increase. Having a lot of work orders is no excuse for trying to get by with sub par managers. You are in the QUALITY CONTROL INDUSTRY IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL

Very relaxed environment

I have been working at Element Materials Technology

Pros

Organized management
    Job safety
    Learn a lot
    Great benefits

Cons

Low pay for lab technicians

No Leadership

Pros

Flexible schedule and large variety of work

Cons

Management doesn't seem to care about the people doing the work. No communication.

Encourage and help your employees to grow, take interest in knowing what your employees actually do. Communication is horrible and the managements new ideas about how to help the location are only half thought out and no good plans are ever made.

Management looking to go public with IPO...will do whatever it takes to get there.

I have been working at Element Materials Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Material experts. Good exposure to Aerospace, Automotive, Oil and gas sectors.
    Small Company?
    Management sends everyone to self development training.

Cons

New middle management almost yearly. Dissatisfied higher ups will drive overtime to achieve metrics but without adding additional resources- it hurts moral.
    Very loose corporate structure- everyone is spread out.
    Organization is reactive not proactive.
    Current outlook is on future cash flows and cash reserves (focus on penny pinching).

Stop acquiring. Start with people- focus on your employees and your clients.

good place to learn

Current Employee - Manager Corporate Development in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Manager Corporate Development in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Element Materials Technology

Pros

breadth of projects I work on

Cons

the pay is too low

Awesome.

Current Employee - Lab Tech
    Current Employee - Lab Tech

I have been working at Element Materials Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great environment if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. Great people.

Cons

long commute. late hours. (but worth it)

It's OK

I have been working at Element Materials Technology

Pros

Comparable pay with competitors. We all have to work to make a living and in this economy is it good to have a job.

Cons

The management seems to be disconnected with the people doing the actual work. The upper management is totally unaware of the dealings of the middle management.