Elemental Technologies

4.7

Sam Blackman

Hard Work, Great Culture, Growing All the Time

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great culture, very hard working but fun group. People have a lot of passion and drive for their jobs. It's small enough to feel close to people but we're growing which is great for career building. They are very supportive of your ideas and have excellent communication from top to bottom and bottom to top.

Cons

One challenge would be work-life balance can be difficult due to the many deadlines and needs of the start-up culture at Elemental. Even so, Elemental does try to minimize the in-balance.

I would consider increasing pay and raises because when people work as hard as they do, it's nice to have that financial support to say that our work is valued, not just on a cultural level, but a professional one as well.

Excellent Company!!

Current Employee - Operations in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operations in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Elemental really shines through by providing their employees all the training and tools they need to succeed at their job. The biggest perk for me personally is that I get constant feedback from the team. I always know what I'm doing well, what I need to improve on, and where I stand with the company. The pay and the benefits are incredible and go above and beyond what most companies offer their employees. You will be working hard but, the work culture is fun and you really do look forward to showing up and working alongside your coworkers and hanging out with them afterwards. Upper management, including the CEO Sam Blackman, are genuine and personable leaders that are a delight to be around but also very straightforward with you.

Cons

Not that much of a con but as with most start-ups trying to establish themselves, there are constant changes and adjustments being made.

Never lose sight of what your core values are as you continue to grow.

Elemental: world-class team, exciting technology, fast-growing market -- what more could you want?

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

What are thee pros? Let me count the ways. The company has seriously strong core values (integrity, customer centrism, and innovation) and everyone is fired up by seeing the video technology we are building put to good use with customers like HBO, Comcast, and ESPN. Working with uniquely talented, committed colleagues is a daily challenge that drives every individual here to achieve more than they thought possible. There are fun quarterly challenges, the perks are creative, and the weekly Friday Lunch brings the whole team together to learn about thought-provoking topics from dynamic presenters.

Cons

This is not a lifestyle company. It can be an exhausting environment at times, and sometimes it feels like no matter how well we perform ‘it’s never good enough.’ That reality is due to the fact that we are out to prove that you can build a world-class technology company, in a very competitive market, headquartered here in Oregon. This level of challenge is not for the faint of heart, and thus we select for people who care deeply not only about building leading-edge technology, but also about building a great business.

Since I’m the CEO, this question is kind of like the Billy Idol classic “Dancing with Myself” … of course, like any human endeavor, there is enormous room for improvement. We are chronically behind the curve in staffing due to an unyielding commitment to keeping the bar high. At times, we’ve allowed the individual contributor to manager ratio get too high, which has occasionally resulted in insufficient feedback. And we could definitely celebrate our wins more rather than moving right along to take on the next hill. These are just a few of the many areas where the management team could do a better job, but despite all these challenges I’m still going to approve of the CEO.

Revitalizing, after not-so-hot experience in this space. Awesome!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- no sacred cows, sets the scene for innovation

- holistic approach to the workplace - not just challenging and fun at work, but also community-involved and physical / emotion employee development (and having fun at it)

- highly collaborative, really! Minimal-to-no amount of politics + voracious appetite for productivity and collaboration tools = truly collaborative workplace

- well-hedged business in various vertical and geographic video market segments. Quite a feat a company this size. Speaking of which ...

- great company size where it's big enough to punch out features at high velocity (and solid quality product), while small enough to be focused on business priorities and giving employees a chance to make a difference. Not too hot - not too cold - just right (size)

- Portland is a great town (and I relocated here for Elemental from areas considered great places to live in)

Cons

- you may gain weight because of all the great cheese and snacks that are nicely prepared and presented every day - oh and the great Friday lunches catered from awesome Portland restaurants

- keep up the good work

- hold out from selling the company as long as possible

Great place to work

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's not just the advanced technology that makes Elemental an exciting place to work. The three founders lead through example based on core values that they really believe in.

I was new to the video processing technology but not new to computing systems and software QA. The learning curve is steep and quite a challenge. Luckily there are lots of smart people here to help. But you have to work hard and push yourself. If you're looking for a "ride out your years" place, this isn't for you. Work hard, play hard.

The founders expect nothing less than the highest integrity, customer centrism, and innovation. It is the first place I've worked at where I can honestly say the walk gets walked.

I can also say that some of the smartest people I've ever worked with work here. But no one is treated like a primadonna. Everyone from the VP of Engineering to the entry level engineer will spend the time needed to answer a question. The teams are cohesive and work well together.

Cons

Don't come to Elemental unless you're willing to work hard. This is not a retirement home. In order to continue to innovate with cutting edge solutions, the team has to be firing on all cylinders.

Stay true to why you formed this company and keep it the place you want it to be

Great Company to work for, fun environment, and decent work-life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time

Pros

Strong and fast growing company.
    Open and transparent work environment, with great culture makes this a very nice place to work at.
    Tons of opportunity to learn, and grow.
    Under very driven leadership.
    Very decent perks and community involvement.
    They put a lot of effort to make the workplace collaborative and engaging for everyone, and, are very receptive of feedback.

Cons

Salary may seem a little less than some of the big-name companies (although the bonus structure and other incentives/benefits makes up for that)
    Work-life may get a little hectic around the release dates or serious customer issues, but such is the nature of any growing software work-place.

Smart People, Good Management, Great Potential

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people, great hiring practices to ensure that new hires are assimilated quickly. Focus on an ownership culture, where self-starters, self-motivated and responsible people can thrive. The company gives employees a lot growth opportunities in various job domains. Internally promotes people. Cross functional movement is encouraged. Perks/Benefits are great for a growth startup. Management is transparent. Management truly prioritizes Shareholders and Employees ahead of itself. Clarity of goals and progress towards goals is clearly communicated often.

Cons

You need to be a self-driven person. Take charge and execute. The company is maturing, so process and systems are being put into place as appropriate for a company in the stage that Elemental is. Laser focus on execution - not a Con - just reality.

Continue with clarity of purpose, focus on execution and process, and transparency. Maybe a little more time spent on medium and long term plans would not hurt.

Demanding and rewarding; mature workplace with lots of autonomy and responsibility.

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a very conscious workplace - communication is clear and direct across all levels, and maturity and integrity are the rule. Each person is given a lot of agency over their workflow - how to do it, what to pursue, and given authority to shape their contribution. I came from a workplace with a lot of gossip, politics, shame and anger as management style so it is a HUGE breath of fresh air here. It's relatively flat and reaching executives is extremely easy. Engineers are given real work right away and able to contribute to the products significantly. Those who want to move into management or growth are given pathways to do so - but it is also respected if you (like me) want to remain an individual contributor, which is nice. I don't like management = success as the only path; it's nice to be recognized and paid well to stay a worker bee!

Cons

There is little work-life balance; some of that is today's work culture to be sure, but working here, you will be expected to be reachable 7 days a week (while it's rarely needed, when it is, you gotta be ready!). But also the pace of a growing VC-funded tech firm is just relentless; while luckily you're surrounded by people who take responsibility and work really hard (and if they don't, they don't last very long), still be prepared to think about work a lot and for 9-10 hour days to be norm, with longer ones during release time or in advance of big tradeshows, etc.

Wonderful startup! This company is amazing!

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here are the people. You are surrounded by very sharp and smart individuals who really care about the work they do and are very involved in making sure Elemental is successful!
    There is great room for personal growth and the freedom to define your own goals for the future. Great transparency between upper managment and individual employees; they keep all employees in the loop about future strategies, company wins/losses, etc.
    The company is all about public and bike transportation and issues a yearly Trimet Pass to every employee!! Some of the great perks include coffee tabs at two coffee shops, catered lunches on Friday with very informative speakers, a plethora of kitchen snacks and snack platters, great work & life balance, and wonderful benefits!

Cons

Compensation is somewhat less than other companies but it makes up for it with an amazing work environment and a great bonus program.

Really, no complaints.

Management is doing a wonderful job with the current state of the company and is graciously handling this startups' growth phase.

Great company, grinding work

I worked at Elemental Technologies full-time

Pros

Smart people. Everyday I was challenged to bring my best work and create better solutions. I learned constantly. I found great peers. Encouragement abounded, and there were kitchen snacks and teamwork all over the place.

Cons

Personality gets ahead of work fit sometimes. Then the hire can't do the work. On the opposite side, managers are still growing their skills and learning to delegate as jobs become more specialized. The intense time pressure to produce and specific knowledge requires a high energy level to keep up. The environment is very quiet and can stifle casual socialization.

Keep working at becoming better leaders and learning to delegate. You're on the right track.

Elemental Technologies Photos

Giddy after clearing brush on Wildwood Trail
Annual holiday party
Setting up bike-powered blenders for a happy hour treat

+ Add Photo