Elements Therapeutic Massage

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Jeffrey L. Jervik

Pros
  • Free massages were the only perks (in 4 reviews)

• nice people working there, some good therapists (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Although my cons list is longer than my pros I would still highly recommend this company at least for front desk staff (in 7 reviews)

• They also act like they support good causes but they are only lying to make themselves look good (in 2 reviews)

Long time employee and happy to work at Elements!!

Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Edgewater, MD
    Current Employee - Massage Therapist in Edgewater, MD

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I value being treated like a professional and an adult; not being micromanaged. Also, the owner pays for insurance, licensing and continuing education – 100% covered for full time and 50% covered for part-time. This is a benefit that was not offered by the former owners. I do not know of any other franchise that offers such a benefit. I love working with my colleagues -- the other massage therapists are not only good friends, but a great source of massage information. We support and learn for one another. We are encouraged to do one trade massage a month, with a fellow massage therapist. This has been a great way to learn new techniques.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the hourly pay cap. That's a drag.
    The prior owners held “Mandatory attendance” meetings where the employees were “slapped on the hand” for not assisting with laundry, not being a team player, etc –I felt this was a waste of time, as it did not apply to all. We were expected to cancel other commitments to attend – it did not occur often, maybe a couple of times per year, but it should have never occurred. We were only paid half of the regular salary for attendance at these meetings. I probably need not even bring it up, as we no longer have these mandatory meetings.

Advice to Management

Since we have a pay cap, maybe offering a bonus to therapists that do an exceptional job might be a great tool for employee moral.

2. Great working environment; low pay

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Western Springs, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Western Springs, IL

I worked at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great owners at my location, great environment where they tried to match clients to therapists style and support MT's

Cons

Hourly rates seem to have a cap; no raise after a year despite price increases and a stellar performance review. instead owner bought a second location

Advice to Management

Give employees raises to keep good people also offer more full time positions and cross train so that therapists can also manage fr more money.

3. I AM HAPPY I LOVE MY JOB! BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

.I can work as many hours as I want
    .I have a steady paycheck I can count on. I take care of a family of 3 on this income.
    .Company pays for my insurance and state fees each year
    .I have a lot of new clients each week
    . I laugh a lot at work as those that I work with are great friends as is the owner
    .I get regular bodywork for myself and I learn a lot from the other therapists as we train often
    . The place is always clean and organized.. We are very busy and have a lot of walk in clients
    .The management communicates well and listens to our needs
    . I can practice and use my unique modalities while working on clients
    . I come to work take care of my clients and go home.. no worries no stress
    . THE TIPS ROCK! The clients are very kind and become family to me
    . The location is easy for me to drive to each day
    . I get 12 days off a year and they are very flexible with my schedule to meet my family needs
    .The energy and flow of the business is fantastic from the minute you walk in the door to when you go home.

Cons

I really don't have any cons as I love my job.
    I do wish we could offer products to our clients
    I wish we had our own music as variety is nice
    In any job there are those you have to work with that are born NEGATIVE. I sometimes get upset when we get these kinds of people in the business. It seems the management does a good job to get them out quick.
    If you are NEGATIVE and unhappy with yourself and your life don't apply here.
    There is only one bathroom.. wish we had two

Advice to Management

I would like to say THANK YOU to my management for always caring about me and going the extra mile to give me the schedule that works well for me to have a nice balance with my family. I love how you make sure the clients are prepared for the session. Thank you for the massages we get and the training as this is so important to me. I like the structure this company has as it helps me to stay organized. My issues/concerns are always addressed in a timely manner. This is the best place I have ever worked and I feel is it a great place for clients to come as we go above and beyond to help them stay healthy! I love the positive energy that is in this company and I intend to stay working here for a very long time. I have been here a year and will be here many more.

5. Good place to work

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage

Pros

Nice people
    Management doesn't work you to death
    No sales requirements
    Average tips 20

Cons

Starting wage is 17 per massage

6. Good for entry

Current Employee - Certified Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Certified Massage Therapist

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set hours/shifts per week (no more than 30 hrs per week), advertising and scheduling done for you, equipment and supplies provided, free monthly massage

Cons

Low pay, no retirement plans, no health or dental, no paid vacation or sick time

Advice to Management

Pay the therapists livable wages

7. Poor Business Plan

Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ

Pros

Helping others feel better. Great staff. Customer interaction

Cons

Poor business model. No opportunity for extra sales. Only offers massage, no other services. Similar business to Massage Envy and Hand and Stone which those businesses offer more services.

Each location is individually owned so each studio is run slightly different.

Advice to Management

Add additional services. Massage Envy is so far ahead of us. Why not take what they have perfected and duplicate it to bring in more business.

No moral nor ethical fiber

Current Employee - Lead Therapist in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Therapist in South Houston, TX

Pros

Its clean. No pressure to upsell BS Services like "foot scrubs" or "Deep muscle therapy." Hot towel cabinets in every room

Cons

They Lie about compensation. They will lie to you about benefits (there are NONE). They will lie to you about your monthly massage. They will skewer you in your monthly review and use false data and false metrics to make you look bad. They are users, do not pay you for down time, do not offer any benefits (No PTO, no sick leave, no 401K, no "Free monthly massage"-- you have to trade, and are "written up" if you dont get a monthly massage.
    They use Groupon as a way to get new clients in the door, but then expect the therapists to convert Groupon Clients to a membership. Industry standards for Groupon are 10-15%, and you are often tipped on the Groupon amount, rather than full service price.
    You are treated as an independent contractor, but they classify you as an employee

Advice to Management

Stop with the Groupons. It waters down your brand.
    Treat your therapists like decent employees, to incent them to stay. PTO wouldnt kill you. You go out of your way to get members, why not go out of your way to retain staff? You worry too much about the attrition rates of the members and not the turnover rate of your therapists.
    Dont be so stingy with your employees-- its not like there are not many other franchises for whom to work for in an area.

Very crazy place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Totowa, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Totowa, NJ

I worked at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time

Pros

Coworkers is very nice. Trading massage with other therapists.

Cons

This people who own the Elements are too much. Always drama since my first day. If you're not at work they will call you day and night and even start calling your family if they don't get the attention. I still get emails even though I'm done their. They even use false numbers to contact me I can't believe this. People quit left and right because they don't like the drama and it was no good place for me. Also they are very cheap with everything. Owners are wife and husband and they fight in front of the employee and even customers.

Advice to Management

Please stop the drama and stalking. People going to start thinking you are stalkers. Be more positive because I think many people will like it better.

Front Desk; Uninvolved management and owner lend to poor environment.

Current Employee - Sales/Client Services Specialist (SCSS)
    Current Employee - Sales/Client Services Specialist (SCSS)

Pros

Relaxing and clean workplace.
    Perks like 1 free massage per month.

Cons

Owner/Management largely uninvolved and unsympathetic; not interested enough to actually know the job themselves.
    Little to no incentive for taking on large responsibilities; hard managerial tasks relegated to lower rung employees without compensation or appreciation.
    Difficult computer system with poor training; owner and management are also largely uneducated in using the system, which leads to sort of hypocrisy concerning mistakes. This also applies to booking clients.
    Poor salary-while therapists are paid when they aren't massaging, they do not receive all their pay. They will receive either what they make for massages OR the accumulated sitting around time; not both. Which means you could put work into massaging all day, ruining your hands, during the weekend and then sit around all day on a not busy day, and get paid minimum wage plus tip.
    SCSSs (front desk) are only paid 10$ for taking calls, booking, selling, cashier-type work, plus lot of secretarial type work such as marketing and setting up events, cleaning up customer service problems with clients, and cleaning-like serious mop the floor, scrub the bathroom, wipe oil from the walls, would pay a maid 20$ per hour at your own home, cleaning. There is a commission on memberships but you don't see it unless you attain a certain amount and if you attain less, there's a serious risk of getting fired. As you can imagine, there's a high turnover rate and everyone is competitive and on-edge.
    Poor communication between management and owners and staff. The constant changes and high-emotion in what is supposed to be a relaxing environment lead to poor behavior. The therapists are rude to the desk girls and begin to not care much about clientele because they are largely dissatisfied and the desk girls become incredibly disillusioned.
    No price consistency-all the studios are independently run so that another location 20 minutes from yours can have prices that are 10 or 20$ better for new clients and members. Everyone runs their own deals. Elements compete against each other.
    The staff will get increasingly belligerent because of poor treatment and instead of making things better, the owner will just wipe the whole staff and hire new people. Zero employee loyalty and never backs up employees; sees dollar signs in every client.
    Poor hiring and training-new employees leave within days, if not hours, when they learn how little the compensation is for the thankless tasks and how complicated the system is. One new person said she could make 12 to 15$ just answering phones at a doctor's office. The staff is small so the shifts are uncompromising-expect to never see sunlight or have a day off during a weekend. Or even enjoy an evening off-management often calls on time off to communicate because of their absense and oftentimes, you'll be thinking about work not at work because they're bothering you and stressing you out. Or they'll upset you during a phonecall or text, and it will ruin any time away. There's supposed to be minimum two people running the desk, but the small staff only lends itself to one at a time, but you can't leave or eat at your desk, so good luck of you have to pee or you're starving.
    Camera surveillance-necessary but not if your owner watches you 24/7 and calls or messages any time you move. It creates a sense of paranoia and discomfort.
    The owner cannot stand any sitting around. Doesn't want to give money for "not doing anything." Doesn't seem to realize that front desk does too much to not get paid better and that therapists are getting paid to take time out of their lives to be in the studio to be prepared and wait for clients. If a therapist is sitting in the break room, owner will call immediately and demand they do laundry or clean, regardless of whether or not it needs to be done.
    Owner, again, need it be said, largely absent and will speed in a couple times a week and interrogate and demand, going through papers and asking about every single thing and disorganizing everything. It disrupts the environment. If you don't answer fast enough to a random and rudely asked question, the owner will assume you aren't working properly and you will be on their list. Being that they're not there enough, they don't know a lot about their own business and you can't even trust the owner of the business to take a phonecall from a client and book a massage properly. You will receive twenty random and counterproductive tasks twenty minutes to closing and be insulted if you cannot complete them. You will never see management or owners on a weekend or during a holiday or early in the morning, while the staff works and opens and closes by themselves and misses dinner and family holidays and the nice weekend weather. Management and owners will disappear on vacation but the staff is so small, there is never coverage or an ability to take time off.
    Being that it's a small business and independently operated, there is a lot of nepotism and family-hiring, regardless of whether or not it is detrimental to the business. Employees who have worked for a large corporation before will become frustrated at the lack of HR or the favoritism. If your owner had children, they will pop up randomly to work and if expected to show to help out, will not. If the restive underperforms, you will be punished for pointing out the mistakes.

Advice to Management

Spend some actual time in your business and learn every aspect. Know your service. Know your team. They'll never perform or sell if you insist on running them through an emotional ringer or interrogate them on a regular basis.

11. Great Place to start out

Former Employee - Lead Licensed Massage Therapist, Trainer in West Linn, OR
    Former Employee - Lead Licensed Massage Therapist, Trainer in West Linn, OR

I worked at Elements Therapeutic Massage

Pros

If the business is settled, then the consistent clientele is great. There are no requirements for the therapists to sell memberships or services. You are there only to work on people. You get paid even if you don't work on anybody during the pay period. You also get to receive tips, discounted CE classes and insurance. Great for developing your own style of massage. Vacation pay.

Cons

Salary cap of $22/hr. Required to perform Hot Stone, Prenatal and Deep tissue. If you are only looking to do one type of massage, this is not the place. Short sessions (55min) makes it hard to meet the needs of your clients and are expected to have a fast turn around on clients. Being a franchise business, the owners per store are different and can have their own challenges.

Advice to Management

Be consistent and fair with your employees. Understand that these massage franchises are not a get rich quick scheme. You have to be involved with the company for it to be successful.

RSS Feed </> Embed