Elements Therapeutic Massage

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Jervik

Perfect place to do just massage or to develop your craft.

LMT (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo sales or performance requirements. They are very undersatnding of LMTs and cater to them. They do not over work you by putting limits on how many massages you do per day/week. They pay a decent wage for LMT with growth for higher hourly wage. The company was founded by a massage therapist who wanted to improve the overall well-being of her clients.

ConsThese are franchise buisnesses, so some policies and buisness processes differ between stores. It is a very corporate setting so there are a lot of standardize images and procedures.

Sales/Client Services Specialist (SCSS) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage full-time for more than a year

ProsCalming, friendly enviroment. Great customers and therapists.

ConsInconsistent policies, not enough set in place.

Good company, good work environment

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage

ProsYou work in a mellow atmosphere

ConsYou won't get rich here

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage

ProsStarting pay is higher than what you will find at other companies like this (massage envy, massage heights) at least at the location I work for. Awesome owners they really care about all of the employees and want to make sure everyone is happy.

ConsThey are a new franchise and business is not picking up like they hoped. The corporate marketing is not very helpful at all so far. Massage envys (also a former employee of massage envy) marketing was way more helpful and professional. They do not have decoration requirements for the most part so it is up to the owners to come up with their own furniture, carpets, pictures, etc.... That is not always a good thing and definitely is not good at my location. The owners sadly have no decorating skills at all they just found random furniture and put it in the lobby (most furniture that they wanted out of their house). Was promised full time hours upon employment but am not receiving that since we have not picked up business... With 2 kids this has been incredibly hard to support my family with part time hours. Although my cons list is longer than my pros I would still highly recommend this company at least for front desk staff!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving and making this a great place to work!

No respect for employees from management

6d060a99@opayq.com (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time for less than a year

Prossome of the coworkers, some of the clients

Cons-no work/life balance

-horrible communication between management and employees (one says one thing, the other says the opposite)

-no benefits: health, dental, paid time off, sick leave

-Extreme favoritism for some where others are constantly berated and get in trouble for things the favorites get away with (i.e.: switching shifts, commenting on closing shift having to constantly take care of opening shift responsibilities, when you ask to switch availability you get the run around)

-too much pressure to push for memberships and upgrades for groupons

Advice to Senior Managementget on the same page, treat everyone with equally respect, lose the high school behavior of favoritism, and understand there is a fine line between offering upgrades/membership and badgering the clients

Great place to work

Area Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking for elements was very challenging. I was with the company for 6 years and able to grow within the company.

ConsNot all locations are managed the same. The locations I worked for in Illinois were very enjoyable however I helped out in Arizona for a while and did not find the same quality work environment.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great Company to work for

Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage full-time for less than a year

ProsMany resources, great people, great owner

ConsNone I can think of yet

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

New ownerrs bully their employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Littleton, CO

I worked at Elements Therapeutic Massage

ProsGreat therapists, great massage. Decent price.

ConsShame on the new owners who treat their employees with disrespect: gossip, lies, defamation of character, pitting one against another, makes one employee do hidden research on others to try to find fault, none was found. They didn't want to pay any employee more than $10 an hour. If you made more than $10 hourly when they bought Highlands Ranch and Ken Caryl, they made life miserable for you until you quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwners and Managers need to have an empathy and genuine care for both employees and clients alike. The new owners have only $$$ in their pursuit. Corporate should take note.

Worst employment experience of my life.

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling, great co-workers, clean space in which to work, not having to provide any of your own supplies, better than Envy.

ConsI will never forget the way this company treated me. We opened a new franchise location on a Saturday. The following Wednesday, I received a call from the manager that I was being let go. According to him, "enough" clients had said they didn't like my technique and they didn't feel as though they had received a massage. I took him at his word at first because I was so blindsided. My confidence was shattered. I'd never gotten complaints before -- never. I always check in with my pressure, my speed, down to the temperature of the room. I've had some neutral reviews in the past during school labs, but not ever to the extent of it not feeling like a massage. Also, it didn't add up that I would be fired two days after opening for job performance. If that was truly the issue, and they had really wanted to keep me, they would have come talked to me about it. And clients are usually pretty reticent to say anything remotely negative to their therapist, so one would think after the first couple of times it supposedly happened, I would have been counseled on it.

I had to find out the truth, so I called back the next day and asked my manager to be straight with me. After some hem-hawing, he finally confessed. They had hired on one too many therapists to keep everyone busy enough and there wasn't enough money yet to pay that many therapists. So they decided to let me go because I was the least experienced. I would have more graciously accepted that answer the first time around than having the company twist it so that they pointed the blame at me! Who does that? Who lies to their employees like that?

I started out having so much respect for the company and my manager. Now I have none for either of them. I can respect a fiscal decision to let me go, but I cannot and will never respect being brazenly lied to about it. Utter crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your store managers the arts of business and management. A good massage therapist does not always make for a good manager.

Decent Establishment for a Side Job

Front Desk (Current Employee)
Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at Elements Therapeutic Massage part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking the front desk makes a good part-time job to make some extra money. It's definitely not a career opportunity since there is no room for growth unless you want to become a Franchise Owner.
You get monthly free massages and 30 min training massages to try out the different therapists to learn their style so that you can match the client to the proper therapist. Depending on the franchisee owner of the location you do get a small bonus if you meet your monthly membership quota.
Not your typical massage studio and offers more therapeutic massage. It's also a membership driven business

ConsNo benefits including health, dental, etc. Basically have to get it on your own.
No paid vacation or sick days
Hourly pay
No big bonuses
No room for growth

Worked for Elements Therapeutic Massage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elements Therapeutic Massage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Elements Therapeutic Massage CEO Jeff Jervik. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Elements Therapeutic Massage employees.