Eleni's NY Reviews

Updated January 2, 2015
7 reviews filtered by
2.3
CEO

1. Great creative and fast-paced environment for the entrepreneurial spirit.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Eleni's NY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to touch multiple areas of the business and create your own direction at the company, flexible leadership (while benefits package wasn't strong, if you worked there long enough and proved yourself, they were really great in providing bonuses, extending more vacation time and rewarding you for your work), opportunity for lots of influence if you are willing to speak up and make things happen, direct access to the owner and CEO, great exposure to high profile companies and customers, fun products, lots of free cookies!

Cons

Location, Minimal Formal Benefits, heavy Q4 hours (holiday oriented gifting)

Invest in some strong and innovative leadership, provide more low-cost rewards to maintain a positive work culture during busier times

Letting the cookie out of the bag

I worked at Eleni's NY

Pros

free dessert, nice co-workers, visible work

Cons

I went into this company hoping for a challenge, and with it being a small company I was of course expecting for there to be hiccups, a lack of structure, work during the holiday seasons and a small amount of incentives. What I didn't realize after years of working here, is that there is no process, no structure, long hours/late nights with no reimbursement emotionally or physically, and zero incentives. This is a small company that has absolutely no intention of growing, and is run by people who have absolutely no consideration for the well-being of their employees. It is a constant cycle of churning in and out people and taking advantage of them when they are in a vulnerable state (i.e. just graduated college, are in-between jobs, are in extreme/dire financial situations or family situations) and then replacing them, not taking into consideration why they actually left to begin with and how the company can seek to improve company culture for the better.

Instead of being treated like a fresh-minded young professional, I was treated like a child, where on numerous occasions I was taking direction from those only wiser then me by age, and not by skill, and that were hired outside of the company, rather than being promoted from within. I was treated like an hourly employee (i.e. "clocking in for insurance purposes", having to be in exactly at 9AM and stay exactly until 6PM regardless of how many weekend or extra hours I had worked when needed to). And with all of this said, I lost a great deal of stamina and a great deal of confidence in myself and my work. Now that I am able to step back and have perspective on those years, I have regained the knowledge that I am much more qualified, and much more talented then to be undermined and abused for so long.

Not only was there no growth in my position (financially or conceptually), but I was treated as if I was not trusted. I was hired for a position, but not actually able to do what I was hired to do. This is especially frustrating when there was no direct mentor for my position, and who I was taking direction from had absolutely no experience, skills or knowledge in my direct field. For example, most of the time, when you're making a big decision for your company, you include those that are in the department that has the most expertise in the decision making process. Instead, management that has no background in making these types of specific decisions would leave out the departments input, resulting in a major waterfall of problems, that then said department, would have to waste their time fixing even though it was initially not their fault.

I am a firm believer that you should treat your employees as investments, not as costs. And especially at a small business, this is your backbone. You should be entrusting of your employees, show them gratitude, make them feel appreciated, and give them incentive to stay. Rather, I was constantly treated as if I were replaceable, as I watched many of my co-workers around me get fired and new hires come in to "save the day." These new hires were generally flavors of the week that barely stuck around for too long, and ultimately costing the business much more then if the internal staff was to be given more recognition. And just to be clear, my team, the people that I worked collaboratively with on a daily basis are wonderful, smart, caring people, that work very hard to try to make this place somewhat bearable. It is the management that is running this company like a brothel.

My point is this - if you want to work for a company that will never grow (look at it's track record, grossing the same amount of money over a span of 10 years), has no incentive program, has pretty terrible company culture, and is run by a bunch of money hungry heathens, then sign up. If you'd rather work in a nurturing environment, one that recognizes hard work and loyalty, and actually listens to you and values your opinions and skill, do not work here because this place is a zoo.

I hate to sound like a disgruntled employee, one that wasted my years at this place, but I truly am not. I've learned everything I'm not supposed to do. I've learned how to respect and listen to those I work with, and I've learned how to maintain my patience and stress levels when dealing with those that do not give me the same courtesy in return. There is absolutely no empathy at this company in the hierarchy that barely exists, and I intend to move forward in my career happily knowing that I will be much more appreciative of every place I work at in the future because of it.

Realize who you have on staff and reward them. Let them do the job you hired them to do.

3. Very fun at times, had structure without being micro managed

Current Employee - Bakery Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bakery Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Eleni's NY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company growing and getting to be a part of the growth, flexible hours and allowance of personal days and vacation time, knowledgeable executives to learn from.

Cons

Job title/focus/description wasn't always clear. Lack of raises/bonus. Have a set training program for ALL staff.

Have set job titles with descriptions-separate from lists of daily duties and/or projects.

5. Horrible

Current Employee - Sales/Customers Service
    Current Employee - Sales/Customers Service

I have been working at Eleni's NY part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers my schedule was flexible so I can go to school.

Cons

No personal growth, everyone in Chelsea market gets a tip jar but us.They sell customers stale cookies for ridiculous prices anything that on sale don't buy it expire and they want to get rid of it.

Maybe if you made fresher products we'll be able to sell and hit the numbers you ask for but business is slow.Treat you're employees with respect.

6. Worst job I've ever had. The use and abuse their employees.

Former Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Long Island City, NY

I worked at Eleni's NY full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. Seriously. Free stale gross cookies

Cons

They pay you a seriously low "salary" give no overtime but expect you to work late, especially during the holidays. They also expect you to work Saturdays. They put you in a freezing cold warehouse, expect you to somehow answer every single phone call that comes through. Taking a lunch break is looked down upon. The website never works and customers called all the time to complain, but nothing gets fixed. They fire people all the time because they blame the hard working employees for the disorganization when it's clearly an upper management problem. They hired me right before the holidays, over worked me to death, made me stay in NYC for Xmas rather than go home to see my family, then fired me the day after Xmas due to budgetary problems. I think it's a pattern. Do not work here, you will develop depression.

Stop being so money hungry and treat you employees with some respect

7. Company is completely dysfunctional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Eleni's NY

Pros

Some people are nice and free cookies

Cons

Company operates like a bodega

Learn something about how a business runs

8. Lies, incompetence, and more lies...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Eleni's NY

Pros

Cookies and cupcakes! Get 50% discount. That's about all the pro's there are to working here.

Cons

No communication between management. Have to go through 3 interviews with 3 people to get a job serving cookies. Lied about compensation. HR is disrespectful, condescending and rude to employees.

Treat your employees like they matter even a little bit. Remember, they're the face of the company when you're not around. Respect them as human beings and not wage slaves.