Elgin Community College

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great community college

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elgin Community College part-time

ProsECC makes an effort to have strong teaching, so it's a great place to be an instructor. The Center for Enhancement of Teaching and Learning offers lots of opportunities for professional growth.

ConsLow pay for adjuncts, but on par with what other colleges pay

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ways to improve working conditions (e.g., office space), pay, and opportunities for professional connection for adjuncts. ECC is certainly not doing any worse than other comparable colleges, but there is room for improvement.

ECC was a great company to work for as a pastry arts student, great option for little availability of pastry only jobs

Retail Baker (Former Employee)

I worked at Elgin Community College as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat for students, flexible scheduling, fair compensation

ConsThe seasonality of position held

Elgin Community College is a great place to work. Lots of opportunities for creative input, many events for employees to

I have been working at Elgin Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsTuition credits and community involvment.

ConsPay is tied to scales.

Advice to Senior ManagementShorten the hiring process and provide quicker feedback during interview process.

Overall, a good experience

I have been working at Elgin Community College full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay, good hours, good benefits like vacation, extra college-breaks, childcare, challenging work in most areas, lots of good intentions, it is fun being involved in the education of young people and returning adult learners. Physical work environment is very nice. Technology is reliable and fairly modern. Focused on diversity. Faculty, Staff and Administration are all student focused most of the time.

ConsHiring process is painful. Onboarding process doesn't always include the training you might need. Some departments are overstaffed...some are understaffed. This can be a very political place so you do have to watch out for the climbers. Leadership doesn't often recognize the contributors versus the talkers and can act without facts at times. Definition of diversity is narrow during the hiring process.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove hiring. Improve training for new staff. Always start with the basic assumption that people are good...get facts, consider motives, and be fair. I've see a few "Salem Witch" hunts. Seek out input from the more quiet souls. Learn to recognize those who truly contribute and those who just make a lot of noise.

Great place to work but frustrating at times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Elgin Community College for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, respectable pay.
Challenging job responsibilities.
Great coworkers throughout the college.
Exciting, active campus with lots going on all the time.
The college really believes in their students and wants them to get a good education. You really do feel like you are making a difference.

ConsVery hierarchical and the lower you are in the chain, the less respect and autonomy you have.
Hiring process is VERY slow. They lose good candidates because it can take months to get someone hired.
Long-term employees can really slow things down and be resistant to new ideas and changes. They just want to clock in and out without being challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more freedom to try new things among departments. Ease up on the paperwork and hierarchical approvals of every little thing. Be more flexible with employee scheduling and trust that people want to do a good job. Increase your respect for faculty. They work their tails off to educate the students and deserve their pay and their benefits.

Great institution, proud to be affiliated with ECC as an adjunct

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elgin Community College part-time for more than 10 years

ProsLove the independence and the respect shown to adjuncts. Facilities are wonderful.

ConsPay is poor until you reach the status of adjunct II and then it is better. It is hard to be a new adjunct as you are on your own to figure out all the processes. There are resources available but basically you are training yourself.
Limited opportunities for non PhD adjuncts.

Student Ambassador

I have been working at Elgin Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with, there's a sense of community. Everyone is so friendly.

ConsIt can get a little boring, pay is not great.

Elgin Community College

I have been working at Elgin Community College full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Daycare facility and flexible hours

ConsBig place, could work better on communication and leadership.

Great place to work if you want to make a difference in the incoming workforce. One of the Best kept secrets in the area

I have been working at Elgin Community College part-time for more than a year

ProsAlways something interesting going on in campus activities, different programs, nice extras as far as cafeteria, discounts on theatre, you can earn credits to take free classes and more.

ConsIt takes forever for the recruiting process!

Great Place to work for students seeking to gain a little experience.

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Elgin Community College

ProsWorking at Elgin Community College is great for young people who would like to obtain an associate degree or take some classes while being employed part-time. ECC is a great diverse establishment.

ConsThe pay for students is minimum wage which doesn't really help if you have lots of expenses to pay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am someone who likes responsibilities and independence so I would suggest to give more responsible and complex tasks to the student workers. It will help workers advance faster in their future careers.

Worked for Elgin Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elgin Community College reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Elgin Community College employees.