Eli Lilly

Eli Lilly Reviews in Chicago, IL

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter

John C. Lechleiter

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company with great benefits

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than a year

ProsLeading pharmaceutical company with diverse products

ConsLimited minorities executive leadership and management positions

Typical big pharma- very big on "yes" men

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsBase pay and benefit package is pretty good. One of our motto's is "respect for people"- I feel they do live that value. From a sales perspective it is what it is- a typical big pharma gig. Numerous managers with very little sales experience- and those that are promoted are done so based upon "numbers" which is done off a quota system. I have had lots of success off this quota system but its all about luck of what your quota is. We did try a behavior compensation model but that needs some work still.

ConsStill big pharma focus on calls per day, frequency, etc- stuff that clearly doesn't matter. Pipeline is very poor and everything that is supposed to come out rarely does or is so over hyped it can't live up to it (Effient for example). The culture here is very much of a "yes man"- people say and send up messages all the time with the content of what people want to hear- instead of the truth. We recently have this "item 39" initiative trying to get people to feel comfortable sharing opinions rather good or bad- we still score low as a company as the majority of people don't feel comfortable in fear of backlash from management. Upward mobility into sales management you pretty much have to go to indy as a associate- a role that could last 5 years in today's environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrucial conversation workshop should be mandatory for all employees. Leadership "tests" to get inside are ridiculous- its just a personality test. Leadership potential should be measured by actual leadership while in the field. We have lots of poor managers at the sales level- on the next reallocation you might want to clean house on that level also.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eli Lilly reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eli Lilly CEO John C. Lechleiter. All reviews posted anonymously by Eli Lilly employees.