Eli Lilly
www.lilly.com Indianapolis, IN 5000+ Employees

Eli Lilly Reviews

Pros:
  • "nice work-life balance; excellent on-site facility in campus; nice colleagues (in a way being personal);"
    in 60 reviews
  • "Respect for people, thrives for ethical business practice"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salaries , Work Life Balance , Nothing Else"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great. Poor pipeline, big concern. Location not the best for some, very family oriented.

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly

ProsWork/life balance is great.
Interesting projects.

ConsPoor pipeline. But all pharma industry in the same spot.
Can be slow to work in. Not a bad thing neccesarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to work! or you will be taken over.

a good 15+ career

Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsHelping produce pharmaceutical treatments to society, making a product that improves the lives of the world, good solid drug line offered

Consbig company, hard to quickly make decisions, don't necessarily cut the small workers and source everything to third parties to save short term

Advice to Senior Managementkeep being transparent, avoid any urge to merge with other big pharma companies as it has proven not to be successful.

Typical big pharma- very big on "yes" men

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsBase pay and benefit package is pretty good. One of our motto's is "respect for people"- I feel they do live that value. From a sales perspective it is what it is- a typical big pharma gig. Numerous managers with very little sales experience- and those that are promoted are done so based upon "numbers" which is done off a quota system. I have had lots of success off this quota system but its all about luck of what your quota is. We did try a behavior compensation model but that needs some work still.

ConsStill big pharma focus on calls per day, frequency, etc- stuff that clearly doesn't matter. Pipeline is very poor and everything that is supposed to come out rarely does or is so over hyped it can't live up to it (Effient for example). The culture here is very much of a "yes man"- people say and send up messages all the time with the content of what people want to hear- instead of the truth. We recently have this "item 39" initiative trying to get people to feel comfortable sharing opinions rather good or bad- we still score low as a company as the majority of people don't feel comfortable in fear of backlash from management. Upward mobility into sales management you pretty much have to go to indy as a associate- a role that could last 5 years in today's environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrucial conversation workshop should be mandatory for all employees. Leadership "tests" to get inside are ridiculous- its just a personality test. Leadership potential should be measured by actual leadership while in the field. We have lots of poor managers at the sales level- on the next reallocation you might want to clean house on that level also.

Demoralizing

Quality Consultant (Former Employee)
Clinton, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly

ProsThe people that work on the production floor remain committed in spite of management focus on creating a culture of fear.

ConsManagement requires an attitude that I can only describe as robotic.
People worry about doing or saying the "wrong" thing when this is very arbitrarily defined. This also contributes to a culture of fear as described above.
Questions made to management are often used against the questioner.
Believe me you don't ask too many questions which fosters an environment of staying in the woodwork for fear of being noticed or accused of doing something someone can twist into something it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your people and use leadership instead of fear.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eli Lilly reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eli Lilly CEO John C. Lechleiter. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Eli Lilly employees.