Eli Lilly Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Updated September 14, 2014
3.6

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter
John C. Lechleiter

Pros
  • nice work-life balance; excellent on-site facility in campus; nice colleagues (in a way being personal); (in 66 reviews)

• Respect for people, ethics, innovative products, work life balance, people development (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries , Work Life Balance , Nothing Else (in 10 reviews)

• Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

241 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worth working

Current Employee - Academic Inern  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Academic Inern in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly as an intern for less than a year

Pros

work environment is too good

Cons

nothing I can think of

I worked at Eli Lilly for one summer.

Former Employee - Research Scientist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is that it's a big company with a lot of resources. The office that I was in, organic synthetic chemistry, gave each employee a large workspace and lab bench.

Cons

Not much interaction in between research scientists. I wish I had interacted more with research scientists outside of the department, in other wings like biology.

Fabulous Work, Co Workers and Benefits

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Despite it's issues in recent years, the years I spent at Eli Lilly were some of the best / most enjoyable of my 20 year career. The companies' mission, it's people, and it's encouragement and resources provided both to it's employees and the community were first rate.

Cons

The considerable downsizing in recent years hit so many good and loyal employees and their families hard. Many would have stayed with the company for a lifetime, had the opportunity availed itself. Sadly, market and other conditions decided otherwise.

Concentrate on the pipeline, research, and the best employees. Stay strong. Stay for another 100 years.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big time liberals have hijacked an historically excellent company

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent reputation with consumers, healthcare professionals and regulatory agencies world-wide

Cons

There is NO JOB SECURITY whatsoever.
    Company is way over the top on diversity issues, even compared to other similarly sized organizations. As an example, absolutely no religious symbols or documents can be displayed at one's desk, on their office wall, etc. Not even a religious desk calendar, etc.
    Company has had a great pipeline for years, but has struggled to get approvals for these new molecular entities from ANY REGULATORY BODY worldwide.

Compensation is highly slanted at PhD's, management types, and the regular B.S. folks, or less, who do the lion's share of the actual work get the shaft, monetarily speaking, I mean.

Stop propagating the liberal lies and return corporate policies and procedures into more commonsensical ways of doing business. Stop catering to the vocal, but minority reprobates who try to influence honest, decent folks into sanctioning their perverted ways.
    Rein in the massive, profit-killing marketing parties and extravagant spending which is still to this day going on. John L. and the board of directors are fully aware of this.

sr sales rep, primary care

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good products to sell, benefits and insurance

Cons

trying to see 7-10 doctors per day (can only see 2-3?), meetings

requiring reps to see doctors based on what the company "sees" i.e. requiring calls on a doc as a high tier but won't see reps.

used to be great, now not so much

Current Employee - Associate Consultant Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

cost of living is cheap, benefits are great.

Cons

lots of bureaucracy, benefits being eliminated, and really hard to move unless you are part of the chosen MQ2020 few, or part of the Irish mafia. They are currently ratcheting up the pain to see if they can get people to leave on their own, so they don't have to pay any severance. Local management has many tools to positively recognize people at no cost to them and the department, however they are either too lazy or too busy to make the effort. It is amazing what person would do for you if they were positively recognized on a regular basis. Because the cost of living is so low in Indiana, there is a huge impediment to leave the company, as no where else will you make this much and pay this little for housing in the pharma industry.

Management routinely ignores their own systems (GQS/ CQP) when it is convenient for them, this will eventually be the downfall of the company. It is especially discouraging when your local management knows nothing about the area/ product and are only there for the rotation thru the area. Its obvious that the managers that have come thru in that situation do not care about the people working for them, and that they are only solely focused on their next move.

Good

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Scientist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good to work here as its very competitive

Cons

Bad due to some politics

Better employee care

Trying to be better, still long way to go.

Current Employee - Director  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The compensation is highly competitive, the products we sell change Lives, the people that work there do care for one another. Long standing career

Cons

People are pre-defined in a career path fairly early on in one's career. "You are Placed", the structure is complex which makes decision making slow, political, and bureaucratic at a time the company needs innovation and speed. This structure is also highly expensive at a time that operating expenses are very tight with the loss of 3 product to patent expiration the past 3 years. Promotions are done for the wrong reason.

Change the organizational structure having 10 Vice Presidents in the US Affiliate is why we make slow decisions, inconsistent decisions, and do not have a common culture. Also, put in place and Chief Operating Office and drop 5 of the VPs. We continue to discuss cost savings options, yet of all the leaders non-have deep operational experience. Finally, stop trying to make the Sales Force "Happy" this is like feed a kid sugar it is un-healthly for all.

Excellent.

Current Employee - Quality Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities for growth, training, benefits, good pay for work.

Cons

I work all the time at the moment. Not enough hands for work that needs done

A wonderful company to work for that has great benefits

Former Employee - Senior Laboratory Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Laboratory Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lilly was a great company to work for. They had many opportunities for personal growth and their benefits were outstanding. Salary was great for the industry and there were opportunities for bonus.

Cons

The headquarters are in Indianapolis Indiana so you have to deal with winter. The promotion process can be difficult at times. It is a large company so change can be time consuming.

Management tends to forget where they came from and how difficult it makes life on employees when they are so disconnected.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!