Eli Lilly
www.lilly.com Indianapolis, IN 5000+ Employees

Eli Lilly Reviews

Pros:
  • "nice work-life balance; excellent on-site facility in campus; nice colleagues (in a way being personal);"
    in 60 reviews
  • "Respect for people, thrives for ethical business practice"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Salaries , Work Life Balance , Nothing Else"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of very smart people that are used to doing things a particular way

Research Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsGreat pay. Nice town. Smart colleagues. At the principal research scientist level and above, You are generally given the freedom to decide what to do and how to do it. This is a place that openly celebrates promotions and devotes a day to do so, with spouses. Family friendly. Interesting mix of very creative and very conservative approaches.

ConsA lot of pressure to produce results. Promotions don't always go to the best performers but to the people that play the game well and smooze with key decision makers. Can be cold and snowy in the winter.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue teamwork more and do not micromanage.

Used to be a great company to work for, now it is just average.

Operation Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsGreat people from mid level managers down. Lilly still has the ability to make a difference in the lives of people.

ConsPoor executive management, poor loyalty for employees, compensation and benefits are unremarkable at this point. All and all the company has been managed into a run of the mill pharma company. Very sad!

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness majors run businesses and chemistry majors run labs. Never the two should meet. Failed business plans and a lack of vision has created an environment of fear. No longer is the free flow of ideas the norm. Instead people just want to make the next cut of job layoffs.

Friendly environment that can get even better

I worked at Eli Lilly

ProsThe good things about Eli Lilly are that they have an established market presence, good networking opportunities if you try, and generally nice people who are willing to have coffee with you and chat about life and business.

ConsSome positions are assigned a lot more work than they should have. I saw many people who have too many assignments that they might as well have been paid 2 times their current pay. The salary is not the top of the line, and you must get used to the location because you won't be traveling much for most of their positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider alternative ways approaching the high R&D structure experienced by pharmaceutical companies in general. Growth opportunities should be expanded.

Pretty Decent

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsPay is pretty decent
Benefits are great considering the economy
Respect for People that is working there
Workers are pretty nice, for the most part

ConsCommunication is lacking, especially in management
Promotion Opportunity is lacking, especially in manufacturing
Location is not the best, but it could be worst
Vacation Time
Low expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementExpectations are sometimes extremely high due to the lack support they give you. Running a process and improving it isn't hard. It all the extra projects that they sometimes give you, that is too much.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsGreat benefits. Fantastic city to live in.

ConsSlow to respond and top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employee more.

Good company to work, mainy IT opportunities to work at.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

Pros1. Good benefits
2. Good opportunities, challenges
3. Good people to work with

Cons1. Company going through tough times.
2. Ceiling on pay being reached, no baseline increase in 2012.

Advice to Senior Management1. Don't outsource so much, invest in employees in the downtime.

Respect for People, but times are tough

I worked at Eli Lilly

ProsLilly has totally flexible work hours and is very "family friendly." The compensation, salary and benefits, is very competitive. The work environment is first class. They are moving aggressively toward a mobile workplace, unfortunately this does not extend to freedom to work from home without strong coordination with your supervision. It is a well respected company in the community and in the state.

ConsWhile this is probably typical for most large businesses, it is a highly political environment. Networking is extremely important. "Organizational memory" is very long. While they encourage you to take risks, you need to be certain that it is a risk you can overcome. Failure is not an option and if you fail, it will follow you for a number of years as your career stalls. This may not be universal and maybe mitigated if you have done the "required" networking ahead of time. This gives your management a chance to "spin" your failure into something with less impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very hard to see significant capital improvements being made while in the process of shedding 5,000 employees. Things will be great for those who remain. It is also tiresome to hear how great our product pipeline is, when the financial results don't materialize. (This is not unique to Lilly and is a problem with all pharma companies.) That said, I must say I cannot image a company that handles layoffs in a more generous manner. Sometimes the business climate demands a contraction of the workforce and Lilly handles it about as well as it can be done.

I should have done different at Eli Lilly

I have been working at Eli Lilly

ProsJob at Eli Lilly is relatively stable.

ConsEmployee's performance management is one direction only for most of employees----depending on supervisor's personal opinions even if they are not fair or objective.

Overall it was a good professinal experience.

I worked at Eli Lilly

ProsGreat benefits, good salaries, good people, great working environment.

ConsVery political, not much opportunity to move up as they are in an outsourcing mode. It it not what you know but who you know that get you ahead. IVY Leaguers got it made.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone with respect and see them for what they bring to the table not who they socialize with.

Good

Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Eli Lilly

Pros-Job flexibility
-profession growth opps
-training
-compensation
-company car
-networking

Cons-manager can make or break your experience

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eli Lilly reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eli Lilly CEO John C. Lechleiter. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Eli Lilly employees.