Eli Lilly Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.6

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter
John C. Lechleiter

Pros
  • nice work-life balance; excellent on-site facility in campus; nice colleagues (in a way being personal); (in 66 reviews)

• Respect for people, ethics, innovative products, work life balance, people development (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries , Work Life Balance , Nothing Else (in 10 reviews)

• Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

A horrible place to work!

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A salary and a job

Cons

Only interested in who you know.

quit

past pharmaceutical rep

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time

Pros

good work/life balance...that is it for pros

Cons

very poor management, low salary, team goals, bad bonus structure, expensive company car, micromanaging, no career advancement unless your a robot

listen to your reps in the field

hopeless as both individual and company

Former Employee - Research Scientist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

NOT merit-based promotion; unclear direction of department; innovation is not appreciated and credited. talking is way more important than working

open to innovation and create a result-oriented enviroment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would strongly recommend staying away from this company, future is quite uncertain

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, great coworkers, and career center, company does a tremendous amount for the community

Cons

It's hard to read the positive reviews for this company because my experience was quite different. I saw discrimination, sexual harrassment, destructive behaviors, all within the leadership team. The company incented poor behaviors and definitely was a good-old boy network starting from the very top. Unfortunately, this company is completely insular, difficult to partner with (look at their track record with ICOS, Amylin, BI, DSI and you know they are very difficult to work with. I was witness to some of the behaviors that led to these unsuccessful partnerships. Sadly this company won't change as long as they continue to promote from within. They have not been successful bringing in any outside talent, and it shows. I'm also amazed that the investor community doesn't see what is lacking in this company. I think this company is a great example of the problems you have when there is no competition in your backyard, very bad behaviors ensue and are propogated...

Need to get rid of them and hire in a group of pharmaceutical/biotech leaders who actually can work with others and are from outside Indiana.

The supervisor went abroad for the summer and I had to work with him through email

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Eli Lilly as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company is great with good culture.

Cons

The Singapore office is small.
    Everybody did not like the interns.
    An intern and I had to wait two weeks before the company had the computers ready for us. Supervisor was not in the office the whole internship.
    The internship had no pay.

Pay attend when you have to hire an intern. Do not leave him waiting for your email the whole week.

Not a very good company to work for

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time

Pros

good compensations and benefits, most people are friendly

Cons

Bad management, little innovation, slow work process

Politics more important than respect

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Safety, Support of causes;

Cons

Managers and Directors lack proper training; Politics and Control are more important than respect for people; Bureaucracy; Different styles and opinions not welcome; Causes more important than employees - forced to participate.

Need honesty; Need proper accountability; Acceptance of diversity of style; HR needs to represent workers

Toxic culture among patent losses and diminishing pipeline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Parking garages, nice corporate center with a pub!, interesting work environment, fun to be in downtown Indy, nice cafeterias

Cons

Dreadful culture as the result of petty, opaque senior director and VP level leadership. May want to note that it is poor form to bash former employees who left highly rated and supposedly on good terms. Your current employees pick up the phone and call to tell them. This is typical and tolerated behavior. Not courageous enough to give feedback to someone's face but talk about them when not around.

Get focused on what works, hold leaders accountable, and eliminate unnecessary work with unclear value. Get rid of senior leaders who can retire but are just hanging around.

3 jobs 1 salary

Former Employee - Hospital Account Specialist
    Former Employee - Hospital Account Specialist

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The customers that you call on. Some benefits, but heard they are cutting everything after the mass layoff.

Cons

Little talent getting promoted. Good ole boys/gals network. Little chance for advancement unless your head is stuck in the back side of the network of people protecting each other. If you're an intelligent person don't come here.

Advice to the president. Clear out management and get qualified people in to run the most important aspect of your business.

Most toxic and backstabbing work environment I ever experienced.

Former Employee - Associate, Sales & Marketing
    Former Employee - Associate, Sales & Marketing

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Reasonable benefits and salary comparable to other pharma companies - at least, until you figure out that it's 39.25 hours MINIMUM that they expect you to work - and yes, they will pile on the work to get you to do a lot more than the requisite weekly hours.

Cons

Apparently working an efficient/effective 8-hour day is insufficient, so in essence, one is paid for a 39.25 hour week but expected to put in 50+ hours. Work/life balance? Complete joke - they only pay it lip service. Also, they have the nasty habit of railroading people, by giving (biased and unfair) performance management reviews, in order to get them to quit, so that permanent positions can be re-allocated as contract positions without benefits. The culture is reactive rather than proactive (though they continuously tout the benefits of being "proactive" in finding "Answers that matter"), so one is seemingly constantly fighting little fires (real or manufactured emergencies).

Is there any point to give them any? I guess I would say, don't even bother with HR exit interviews - I highly doubt that any feedback is reviewed, considered or used anyway, at any time.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!