Eli Lilly

Eli Lilly Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter

John C. Lechleiter

Pros
  • nice work-life balance; excellent on-site facility in campus; nice colleagues (in a way being personal); (in 66 reviews)

• Respect for people, ethics, innovative products, work life balance, people development (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaries , Work Life Balance , Nothing Else (in 10 reviews)

• Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Scientist (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood to work here as its very competitive

ConsBad due to some politics

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter employee care

Long road to promotions

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood people, communal atmosphere, solid history, great benefits, 401 K matching, growing pipeline, one of the few companies that currently still have a pension. Lilly also has done layoffs humanely and have treated employees very well during the process, which is commendable.

ConsVery political, bonuses are subjective based on what your manager decides to give, commission is now based less on your sales, it's not the place to make a lot of money like it was years ago. Quotas seem to be out of reach and with the way healthcare has changed, there's only so much you can do to attain success. Promotions are decided by Directors, who are very out of touch with who deserves said promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions need to be given more often to those who deserve it, otherwise good people will look elsewhere. Pay seems to be much less than competition and sales professionals need a reason to stay.

Great place to work

ProsWork/family balance and flexible schdules.

ConsToo much in-fighting between scientists and groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementIgnore the pedigree and utilize your real human assets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent.

Quality Associate (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat opportunities for growth, training, benefits, good pay for work.

ConsI work all the time at the moment. Not enough hands for work that needs done

Was a solid company with strong growth for employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI received great experience here and the training was ok. Felt like I was part of innovative product launches and the culture was good for awhile. I did feel that I was a valued employee for the first part of my 15 year tenure. The company is respected in the medical community and back in the day was a fabulous place to work when Contigent Compensation was available. Excellent benefits and family/work balance.

ConsVery political and some of the managers lack adequate training and experience to manage people. Pipeline is small and the pay did not feel adequate over time. Many of the sales rep work minimally and hide behind others. For many years this company had excess sales reps. and it was pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery political and many of the managers move up to quickly and do not have the adequate skill sets to manage sales teams. Good old boys club.

Pharma company

ProsAs a field sales representative you have a lot of independence and flexibility which is great if you are self motivated. If you like to develop relationships with people this is your job.

ConsTough industry to be in. A lot of govt regulations. Massive and unexpected layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on building strong teams with high quality people

Although conservative, a fantastic company to work for with integrity and a real family atmosphere

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood base salaries, treats employees very well, upper management is accessible, even as a sales rep with no office still felt very much a part of my sales team, truly care about employees both inside and outside of work, excellent enrichment training as volunteer opportunities

ConsVery difficult to get promoted, if looking for a company with an aggressive sales approach this one is not for you

Advice to Senior ManagementMake promotional process a little shorter

Peaks and valleys. 10 years ago I was doing exciting work that matched my skills and training. Now, not really

Consultant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsVacation (last week of year everyone is off). Salary very good.

ConsPresently do not maximize potential of individual.

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)

ProsRespect for people, ethics, innovative products, work life balance, people development

ConsLike and dislike, lower salaries than other companies for same positions, un stability and continuos change, red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency and fairness

Basic/excellent

ProsGreat stable company; nice location, good benefits

ConsLots of "clicks"; rarely hire CONTRActors & let lots of knowledge leave.

Worked for Eli Lilly? Contribute to the Community!