Eli Lilly

Eli Lilly Reviews

3.6

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter
John C. Lechleiter

Pros
  • work life balance; career development for junior; Not good for higher level (in 72 reviews)

• Great team member; career growth, respect for people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance wasn't very appreciated (in 11 reviews)

• Somewhat conservative culture, although senior management is trying to change it (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great. Poor pipeline, big concern. Location not the best for some, very family oriented.

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly

Pros

Work/life balance is great.
    Interesting projects.

Cons

Poor pipeline. But all pharma industry in the same spot.
    Can be slow to work in. Not a bad thing neccesarily.

Get to work! or you will be taken over.

a good 15+ career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly

Pros

Helping produce pharmaceutical treatments to society, making a product that improves the lives of the world, good solid drug line offered

Cons

big company, hard to quickly make decisions, don't necessarily cut the small workers and source everything to third parties to save short term

keep being transparent, avoid any urge to merge with other big pharma companies as it has proven not to be successful.

Typical big pharma- very big on "yes" men

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Eli Lilly

Pros

Base pay and benefit package is pretty good. One of our motto's is "respect for people"- I feel they do live that value. From a sales perspective it is what it is- a typical big pharma gig. Numerous managers with very little sales experience- and those that are promoted are done so based upon "numbers" which is done off a quota system. I have had lots of success off this quota system but its all about luck of what your quota is. We did try a behavior compensation model but that needs some work still.

Cons

Still big pharma focus on calls per day, frequency, etc- stuff that clearly doesn't matter. Pipeline is very poor and everything that is supposed to come out rarely does or is so over hyped it can't live up to it (Effient for example). The culture here is very much of a "yes man"- people say and send up messages all the time with the content of what people want to hear- instead of the truth. We recently have this "item 39" initiative trying to get people to feel comfortable sharing opinions rather good or bad- we still score low as a company as the majority of people don't feel comfortable in fear of backlash from management. Upward mobility into sales management you pretty much have to go to indy as a associate- a role that could last 5 years in today's environment.

Crucial conversation workshop should be mandatory for all employees. Leadership "tests" to get inside are ridiculous- its just a personality test. Leadership potential should be measured by actual leadership while in the field. We have lots of poor managers at the sales level- on the next reallocation you might want to clean house on that level also.

Demoralizing

Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Clinton, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Consultant in Clinton, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly

Pros

The people that work on the production floor remain committed in spite of management focus on creating a culture of fear.

Cons

Management requires an attitude that I can only describe as robotic.
    People worry about doing or saying the "wrong" thing when this is very arbitrarily defined. This also contributes to a culture of fear as described above.
    Questions made to management are often used against the questioner.
    Believe me you don't ask too many questions which fosters an environment of staying in the woodwork for fear of being noticed or accused of doing something someone can twist into something it is not.

Appreciate your people and use leadership instead of fear.