Eliot Community Human Services

Reset
Kate Markarian

1. Great Agency!

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

They really seemed to care about their employees and management works as hard as anyone else at Eliot. They weren't perfect but overall they were a great company with whom to work.

Cons

The population (s) Eliot works with can be challenging and not everyone was as invested as they should have been in helping the clients (too many people there just for a paycheck).

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for line staff to meet people higher up at the agency, particularly Human Resources staff. Figure out a way to get rid of the union.

2. Therapist

Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Salem, NH
    Former Employee - Outpatient Therapist in Salem, NH

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services (More than 5 years)

Pros

caring, understanding, to all clients.

Cons

pay, union not colorful poor management

3. The worst human service agency in MA

Former Employee - Case Manager/Direct Care Worker in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager/Direct Care Worker in Beverly, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services

Pros

It's a job. Pay is somewhat competitive against other non profits.

Cons

Poor agency. No support from corporate office or supervisors. Dramatic unprofessional upper management. No regard for hard workers. Union is a mess and no real help for workers. Thankless job. Control staff with threats.

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of them. Hire people with some compassion and empathy

5. Company puts themselves before you.

Former Employee - Transitional Coordinator in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Transitional Coordinator in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, work with good staff, benefits.

Cons

Big rift between management and employees. Need to be part of a union. You're consistently expected to come in on your days off for meetings. No opportunity for growth based on lack of discernible hierarchy.

6. Beware. Times have changed at Eliot and not for the better.

Current Employee - Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent vacation time and mileage reimbursement A great concept- help the mentally ill population become more stable and independent.

Cons

Increase in responsibilities without increase in pay. Politics of upper management and DMH is curtailing the mission of fostering independence and stability within this population. High stress. Responsibility is very high. Not much support from management especially in crisis situations. Possibility of working with very high risk clients alone in your own car or in their homes. Very unrealistic expectations with caseload numbers very high and paperwork load always increasing.

Advice to Management

Listen to what you employees are telling you. And realize that so many people are leaving because of the concerns of high stress, safety, unrealistic expectations, employees have no one to talk to about what they are going through on a daily basis.

7. Clubhouse Business Unit Supervisor

Former Employee - Eliot Community Clubhouse Supervisor in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Eliot Community Clubhouse Supervisor in Lexington, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services

Pros

An atmosphere of support and teamwork. There is an opportunity everyday to make a difference in someone's life. Good Salary and opportunities for training. They care about their employees.

Cons

Job can become boring in short period of time if there are no recent new members. Not enough challenging structured work for staff and members.

Advice to Management

Review projects that do not work and eliminate them. Add more variety of responsibilities that members would like to do.

CBFS

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I was on was super supportive, worked together well, and everyone was friendly and dedicated to their word. My supervisors were awesome for the most part. Despite the stressful nature of the job, my two years at Eliot were wonderful and I would go back if I were still living in MA. I always had the support I needed and if I was stressed out, I felt like I could go to my Team Leader or other supervisors to talk about it. They were always looking for more feedback and always wanting to keep everyone in the loop. They were still supportive of me to go pursue my master's degree, even if it took me to another state. There is all kind of free training that you are welcome to attend, and for folks with licenses, you can get CEU credits.

Cons

In CBFS Outreach there is a LOT of driving involved with your personal vehicle. Also, be prepared to cover other people's work on occasion- the service coordinator I was paired with went out on sick leave for my last 3-4 months, so I had to cover a 2 person caseload on my own. I got extra help on occasion, but it was very difficult and I got no extra compensation for the extra work.

9. Great, there are many programs that make up Eliot, but the clinic I worked at was well run, respectful, and effective.

Current Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Concord, MA
    Current Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Concord, MA

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, respect, worthwhile colleagues, and freedom to practice unencumbered by bureacracy.

Cons

Small company can only pay employees so much.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring the right people.

10. DCF Division

Current Employee - DCF Division
    Current Employee - DCF Division

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids who stay in our programs

Cons

Pay is awful Zero employee appreciation If you're an employee who makes one mistake at your job the senior management will never look at you in a positive light again, and if you're an employee who never makes one mistake at your job the senior management will never notice you, anyway.

Advice to Management

Members of DCF division behave in a clique-like manner, and appear unapproachable to the rest of us.

11. Great benefits, lousy pay

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services

Pros

They really care about the population they serve.

Cons

They do not care about their own employees. Overall, the attitude appears to be more "leave if you're not satisfied" rather than, what can we do to improve on a situation. No raises, lousy pay....promises that never come to fruition.

Advice to Management

All directors should be on the same page for all sites. Each site runs differently, including pay raises, respect for employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed