Elitch Gardens Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
CEO

1. Depends what your into.

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time

Pros

There are so many people you can meet, you can build strong relationships with your co-workers. Free season pass for all employees plus employee parties. It can be fun.

Cons

The sales department has an issue with micromanagement. There is so much cold calling you have to do and not to mention micromanagement on the words you say over the phone. There is also a lot of people talking behind ones back and a lot of lies that are told. Sometimes it feels like someone is breathing down your neck for the 8 hour shift. Other departments have issues with favoritism.

Advice to Management

Relax, not everything you do is the right way. Being a manager doesn't mean control every single aspect of every single thing. It means being a good leader, being honest, ethical, and not to mention trusting that the people you manage will do an excellent job with out you breathing down everyone's neck.

2. Terrible Place to Work

Current Employee - Food Service
    Current Employee - Food Service

I have been working at Elitch Gardens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free entry on your days off (if you actually want to go :/) 25% off retail Lots of people give out free food to workers even though they shouldn't Work experience They will hire ANYONE

Cons

My first day at Elitch's I was trained on what not to do regarding money for an hour then sent me on my way to my station. At my station they trained me for a half hour tops on what to do then the supervisor left. The supervisor are never present in my station and if they are all they do is talk. None of them ever help out or train new people like they should. they leave training to the other employees so we have to rely on each other making learning very hard at times especially when NO ONE knows how to make something. One of the worst things is we can't give out water cups. We can only fill up peoples water bottles. This infuriates customers and is stupid in its self. If they have no bottle they can buy an over priced water for 4.05 with tax. :/ Another thing is Elitches buys NO lids for sodas and we are not allowed to give out straws at my station making customers pissed that they just bought a 5$ soda with no lid or straw. The rules here are so dumb. They have rules like these that just infuriate customers and then they have rules that we are supposed to follow but no one does. For example no one is supposed to touch another persons register but everyone does and it is SO ANNOYING. And then when I come up short I'm in trouble even though my supervisors support this behavior. Also they don't restock the shops like they should. we always run out of items making customers upset. Lastly you get punished if you ask for a day off. You will get a day off but then they will cut your hours as punishment. UG I hate this place I am so glad I'm leaving. In the end don't work here or go here spend your money somewhere else that deserves it.

Advice to Management

Actually help your employees when there are long lines TRAIN PEOPLE Actually care about your job Actually know what is going on in the shop Deal with rude customers it should not be a teens job to do that Find a better way of cleaning (the park is nasty)

3. They steal and lie and its not fair!

Former Employee - Food Service
    Former Employee - Food Service

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will hire anybody convicted felons, and all that.

Cons

They will not pay you for your first two weeks even if you work on the Fourth of July like I did, and when you do get paid your next paycheck they will skimp it and you will be short on cash, people who quit will regret it elitch gardens makes sure if you quit on them without putting in two weeks you will have a criminal investigation against you

Advice to Management

Don't make 14 year olds supervisors XD, why don't you pay your employees, and try not to get sued for slander next time.

5. Not a bad first time job

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for the food services department, and the co-workers you end up having in the area you work at will be the reason you won't dread coming to work much after you have settled in, at first it may be exciting but after a few weeks working there you'll get tired of the routines of cleaning and helping rude customers,etc. So co-workers and NICE supervisors will be your saviors. If you're a young teen, it's pretty cool to be around other teenagers and make new friends. There are times of being free from long lines of customers as well. Grabbing snacks along the day from the stand is nice too just make sure customers aren't watching and that your supervisors are cool with it. Also you can get some freebies here and there, and every month you get free tickets for your friends/family. As a team member your badge will be your season pass to go to the park on your days off if you wish to do so.

Cons

Sometimes the managers or supervisors can come off as mean and too strict about cleanliness and not being able to leave at the end of the day til every speck of dust is gone. Scheduling may also not be in your favors and you won't always have the same times, I've ended up having to close then open and close then open again. It wasn't nice not being able to get good rest that way. There is also some rude people in the checking in area that aren't nice but pretend to be sometimes. If you miss work a couple of days they'll be on your back, it's ridiculous. Customers also can ruin your moods quite quickly, I don't know why they expect so much from an amusement park food court. They expected high end, they expected too much from the young workers. They get rude, give attitudes and want things their way, you'll get easily annoyed by some so make sure you always have a co-worker by your side. Sometimes area supervisors weren't readily available when conflicts with customers arised either since they're running around to different places at times. Also you would think working in food you could at least get a free lunch but nope, not allowed and at the end a lot of things have to be thrown out and the "higher" people don't allow you to eat or take anything. Some cool supervisors won't mind as long as the mean managers aren't around. lastly they get mad about you taking weekends off or dates where there are events going on, its understandable but the penalties shouldn't get you scared to lose your job.

Advice to Management

Treat the workers in a nicer way. It's not a serious work environment so lighten up with how strict and how serious you take your job. They try to act like the parents but being that most workers are teens you know they won't be listening to every single thing so calm down with it. Make schedules flexible and acknowledge how far some of the workers live and their only way home is through bus/train. Free food/drinks would be nice too.

6. I is a fun first job but not a career

Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun job Get to meet a lot of new people

Cons

Very Unorganized and they give more hours to their favorite employees.

7. Everything was so disorganized.

Former Employee - Season Pass and Front Gate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Season Pass and Front Gate in Denver, CO

Pros

Meet a ton of people, great customer service experience, something to do during the summer to keep busy, did not have to pay for parking.

Cons

Everything was so disorganized, the supervisors either didn't care or treated you like incompetent, untrustworthy, children. Hardly got any hours and even on days where you are scheduled to work, you were sent home because they scheduled too many workers. No benefits. No time and a half for working holidays. You got two tickets for entrance to the park instead.

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors to handle a lot of problems with a lot of customers. Try to be more organized with scheduling workers.

8. Retail

Former Employee - Retail in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make friends Free tickets Good teen job Free pass to the park

Cons

Supervisors pick favorites If you flirt you get more hours They don't care about you Bad employee food No discounts Supervisors follow you on your break You want to quit within a month Make you hound customers for sales

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you actually want them their.

9. Fun but not a lot of hours.

Current Employee - Games in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Games in Denver, CO

I have been working at Elitch Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet a lot of nice & cool people, It's summer job to keep you busy, customers are really nice & the supervisors & managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes you're out in the sun, not a lot of hours, only seasonal

10. Bottom of the Barrel

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free tickets, but aftering working youself to death you'll tear those up. No one wnats to visit this place on their day off.

Cons

They treat you like your in high school They pay you like your in high school the cafeteria sucks and is digusting,

Advice to Management

change everything, drug test your ride operators. Redo the cafeteria, and show some respect to your employees, they work hard for low wages.

11. An abyss of incompetence

Pros

Working in amusement parks is a really different experience. Elitch has all the basic perks - unique working environment, roller coaster rides for free, etc. I've also made some really good friends through mutual suffering.

Cons

I could rant on the ridiculousness of showing up 30 minutes early to work to wait on a van before you can even clock in. Or not being allowed to LEAVE THE PARK WHEN YOU CLOCK OUT. The Biggest problem is ''Welcome to Elitch's" - that's the response you get when you point out a huge problem that no one is taking responsbility for. It is what is is - Welcome to Elitch's. As if the pavement itself is responsible for the complete unwillingness of anyone in the chain of command to take responsibility and fix things. The skill I mastered at Elitch Gardens was how to effectively pass responsibility on to someone else and take credit for their work later.

Advice to Management

don't threaten to fire your employees when they don't want to work 60+ hours a week one week, then have the overtime hours ''pushed'' to the next week so you can avoid paying overtime. pretty sure it violates labor law.

RSS Feed </> Embed