Elitch Gardens

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
2.7

CEO

I is a fun first job but not a career

Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun job
    Get to meet a lot of new people

Cons

Very Unorganized and they give more hours to their favorite employees.

Everything was so disorganized.

Former Employee - Season Pass and Front Gate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Season Pass and Front Gate in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens

Pros

Meet a ton of people, great customer service experience, something to do during the summer to keep busy, did not have to pay for parking.

Cons

Everything was so disorganized, the supervisors either didn't care or treated you like incompetent, untrustworthy, children. Hardly got any hours and even on days where you are scheduled to work, you were sent home because they scheduled too many workers. No benefits. No time and a half for working holidays. You got two tickets for entrance to the park instead.

Train your supervisors to handle a lot of problems with a lot of customers. Try to be more organized with scheduling workers.

Retail

Former Employee - Retail in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Make friends
    Free tickets
    Good teen job
    Free pass to the park

Cons

Supervisors pick favorites
    If you flirt you get more hours
    They don't care about you
    Bad employee food
    No discounts
    Supervisors follow you on your break
    You want to quit within a month
    Make you hound customers for sales

Treat your employees like you actually want them their.

Fun but not a lot of hours.

Current Employee - Games in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Games in Denver, CO

I have been working at Elitch Gardens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You meet a lot of nice & cool people, It's summer job to keep you busy, customers are really nice & the supervisors & managers are great people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes you're out in the sun, not a lot of hours, only seasonal

Bottom of the Barrel

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

free tickets, but aftering working youself to death you'll tear those up. No one wnats to visit this place on their day off.

Cons

They treat you like your in high school
    They pay you like your in high school
    the cafeteria sucks and is digusting,

change everything, drug test your ride operators. Redo the cafeteria, and show some respect to your employees, they work hard for low wages.

Fun place to work.

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at Elitch Gardens as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

You're working at an amusement park. This meant it was quite acceptable to joke around while still getting your job done. In addition, it was a great learning experience

Cons

I didn't experience too many issues while working at Elitch Gardens. An improvement would be for the departments to work more closely together.

Have the departments work together more. Sometimes it seemed like each department was only trying to do what was best for the department, rather than the entire company.

An abyss of incompetence

I worked at Elitch Gardens

Pros

Working in amusement parks is a really different experience. Elitch has all the basic perks - unique working environment, roller coaster rides for free, etc. I've also made some really good friends through mutual suffering.

Cons

I could rant on the ridiculousness of showing up 30 minutes early to work to wait on a van before you can even clock in. Or not being allowed to LEAVE THE PARK WHEN YOU CLOCK OUT.
    The Biggest problem is ''Welcome to Elitch's" - that's the response you get when you point out a huge problem that no one is taking responsbility for. It is what is is - Welcome to Elitch's. As if the pavement itself is responsible for the complete unwillingness of anyone in the chain of command to take responsibility and fix things.
    The skill I mastered at Elitch Gardens was how to effectively pass responsibility on to someone else and take credit for their work later.

don't threaten to fire your employees when they don't want to work 60+ hours a week one week, then have the overtime hours ''pushed'' to the next week so you can avoid paying overtime. pretty sure it violates labor law.

Fun atmosphere but management could maintain it better

Former Intern - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Intern - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Free entry with park ID, cheap food and retail discount, also loved being able to test rides when the operators needed to test them

Cons

Scheduling is not consistent. My supervisor was good about my schedule, but in other departments I had heard of people taking the bus to the park and then being told they have to go home because they don't actually have to work.

Be more consistent with scheduling. Also maintain the fun, positive atmosphere better, with some managers it's obvious that they don't like their job.

Character Building

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work in Kiddieland and interacting with the kids was great! The supervisors of that area are the best. All of us Kiddieland workers were really close and got along very well. Everybody did what was necessary to get the job done, nd then at the end of the day, we would converge at the ball pit and talk about our exeriences with the guests while preparing to go home. We didn't have any real drama, and the friends you made here you would definately want to keep in contact with.

Cons

They are very strict reguarding personal appearence there- more than once girls have been in HR removing figernail polish because it 'follow the guidelines'. Scheduling is sometimes hectic and can interfere with schooling. People cross-train but not often-if your in kiddieland your pretty much stuck there. A lot of people quit all throughout the season so, someone here today can be gone tomarrow without a word.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Elitch Gardens

Pros

2 free passes to the park for every 100 hours you work.

Cons

They never give their employees any feedback. I was a manager. I constantly gave feedback to my employees, but I felt other managers were lacking in this. They promote their friends rather than people who deserve to be promoted. Luckily, I kissed ass and became a manager. They spend very little money on making employees and customers happy. They never replace broken equipment. They schedule a lot of employees on slow days, and very few employees on busy days. Cafeteria with expensive disgusting food.

Train your managers better, fix broken equipment, and put more emphasis improving working conditions for employees so they can provide better customer service.