Elizabeth Arden

Updated September 22, 2014
2.7

Elizabeth Arden Chairman, President, and CEO E. Scott Beattie
E. Scott Beattie

Unorganized, undervalued, unappreciated and under paid!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I met who have also left.

Cons

This company does not value its employees and is extremely unorganized. They expect you to drop everything and come to a meeting in a moments notice when that meeting doesn't even pertain to you. During my employment there they thought they were doing us a favor by giving us an hourly rate due to construction delays, but what they failed to understand or care about was the pathetic amount they gave us didn't pay for all of the debt we incurred during our time there. Aside from the the commute alone, paying for lunches, etc. the pathetic 8.00 an hour they paid us didn't even cover a Metro Card. They later upped it to 10 and thought they had given us gold. When construction went on for another delay they said they would give us all a bonus. (Of course it was taxed) but you had to stay for another 4 weeks to see it. If you work for them prepare yourself to live on their hourly wage and not a penny more. You have to work on at least 11 clients a week in order to make a commission. Sound easy? It's impossible! All we did was work on employees. They give their corporate people huge discounts and then those people don't even tip you on the full bill. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! By the way, they don't advertise, so seeing 11 clients a week is next to impossible. We were told, "Here are your business cards, the rest is up to you now." Did I mention the cards were two months late? Oh, and if you asked for a schedule so that you might be able to "plan" your life, they looked at you as though you had asked them for a liver transplant. We were told there was a massive advertising campaign and it never happened. I won't even get started on the artistic team they hired.
    We cleaned the salon every day for a week, unpacked boxes, moved boxes and unpacked them again and again. At one point a few of the office employees had a breakfast and she yelled at one of the styling team for taking some orange juice. Real humane!
    I kept telling myself it would get better, but sadly, it only got worse. Stay away from this company! I saw people lose their entire savings trying to stay afloat there and all of the promises that were made that went by the wayside. We were always reminded of how "replaceable" we all were.

Stop expecting your salon staff to do the job you do with the salaries you make and to work the hours that you work. We are not salaried employees!!! Stop using your employees to your advantage. I was hired to be a stylist at your salon, not the maid service, the packing service or the group talk service to talk about your new products and evaluate them. They are called focus groups and they get paid 100.00 a session, not 8.00. Wake up and smell 2014! People want to work with a company that is conscious and treats its people well. As much as you try to advance Elizabeth Arden, you might want to just accept that fact that it will always be the place everyone buys their mother a gift certificate to on Mother's Day. It will never be more than that because the people who run this corporation are still stuck in that mode. Wake up and treat your employees better-then maybe you might see a change in your growth. It's not always about the bottom line-especially when you are using your employees to make your quotas.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineering Intern in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Elizabeth Arden as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great Co-Workers,Invaluable Experience Gained, Very hands on

Cons

I sincerely do not have any negatives everyone treated me very well and interning there was one of the best experiences i've ever had.

Keep having the internship program, i've been told my many potential employers that some of the work I did while interning was very impressive.

Can't seem to find the right way to steer the ship

I have been working at Elizabeth Arden

Pros

Some great team members, flexible work hours

Cons

Can't seem to get their act together, Senior management out of touch with the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They have lost their way since the senior management changes of a few years ago.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A place to go to get some experience.

Cons

Poor management of people and projects. They try to do too much with too little so expect long hours in a noisy office.

Start placing the customer and products first, not the dollar.

Ok, but could be better.

Current Employee - Forklift Operator  in  Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Elizabeth Arden full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Seeing people that I've worked with for years go from temporary jobs to permanent jobs.

Cons

Seeing people who just became permanent get jobs over people who have been there longer & some who where already doing those higher paying jobs.

Won't do any good. From what I've noticed, if it wasn't "their idea" it's not gonna happen. Now you might see shades of what you said years later. All you can do is just think to yourself, wow now you do that.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant  in  San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in San Juan, PR

I worked at Elizabeth Arden as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-You learn a lot about the beauty business, experts teach you makeup techniques, how to prepare gifts and you learn about all the fragrances.

Cons

Long hours of standing up, worked by contract so did not have enough benefits

Give more training !

Stay far away from this toxic place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time

Pros

- Get to work on all parts of the brand (concept, product development, launch, growth)
    - Interesting brands

Cons

- Constant reorganization over the past 3 years by literally playing musical chairs in marketing. One day you could be working on one brand and the next who knows...
    - Every place has politics, but this place is toxic. Your fellow employees will throw you under the bus so fast in order to have a scapegoat for anything and everything.
    - Employees are not valued because they are considered headcount and easily replaceable.

Stop hiring externally from CPG and develop your own training program instead of buying talent that has already been trained in brand management.
    Value your employees and their work life balance because people are so unhappy that they get sick all the time.

Exit interview process

Former Employee - Senior Financial Reporting Analyst  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Reporting Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time for more than a year

Pros

interview done in a neutral area

Cons

inability to ask specific reasons for termination to manager

mentor your employees rather than leave then to fail.

I worked at Elizabeth Arden

Pros

They are a huge company and have great benefits.

Cons

They bought my company and laid many of us off.

Please look at our work ethic before you let us go.

Interesting

Current Employee - Retail Executive  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Elizabeth Arden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible work environment, great products

Cons

company is very much like a click, either you are in or out

Management really should look at individual performance, not keep employees who they like just because they are in the click. Several hard working people displaced due to not being in the right group, we are not in High School

Worked for Elizabeth Arden? Contribute to the Community!