Elk Grove Unified School District

CEO

Better than other districts

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Elk Grove Unified School District as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and abundant vacation time. Generally no need to grade papers, take home work, or create lesson plans as a substitute teacher. EGUSD covers areas where the housing market has grown considerably adding money into parts of the district. From my experience, affluence does make a difference in what the state provides in terms of quality and care to students. In turn, students from more well to do areas are more well behaved and willing to learn.

Cons

Certain schools and classes are much more challenging to manage than others. Daily contract means you may have to work all day and even after school ends with only lunch break with no extra pay. Though you can expect the same in any other district as what I've described is part of the job.

When I last worked scheduling was done through phone and recorded on a carbon copied sheets of paper. It would be convenient for teachers, administrators, and substitute teachers to have an online option with digital record. Submit with a click or automatically instead of dropping off at EGUSD HQ.

Good but not great

Current Employee - Technician in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Vacation/Sick time

Love having the summers and holidays off. First job that I can actually enjoy my life outside of work.

Cons

Salary
    Advancements
    Too easy (not challenging)

The pay here is decent, could be a lot better. Some positions are fast paced and can be challenging at times. But some positions (like the one i'm in) has no challenges and most of my day is really boring. Opportunity for advancements are almost none. Unless I find another opening at another site. Currently looking for another position.

Great benefits but bad environment for growth

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst III in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good people
    Close community and great way to be involved with education

Cons

No raise and no promotions
    No telecommuting options
    No budget for training or certifications
    No budget for equipment like laptops or tablets

Consider telecommuting and other perks since developers are expected to be well rounded but you don't offer training, bonus, raise or promotions.

The longer you work, the more you get screwed.

Current Employee - School Office Assistant I in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - School Office Assistant I in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Most of the people I work with and encounter at other sites are very nice. Having the weekends and summer off is very nice.

Cons

You will never see a raise. I make less now then when I did 13 years ago. If you receive a raise, it'll be taken away because of increase in health care. As positions are cut, you'll be expected to do more...without any financial compensation. Administration, on the district level, have no backbone whatsoever. You try to uphold their policies only to be shot down because they are too afraid to tell people "no". There is no training. The AFSCME union is a joke. They won't fight for the rights of the classified staff. Complete mismanagement of funds - teachers get paid more, while classified positions are cut. There is absolutely NO room for advancement.

Grow a backbone. Get rid of the superintendent. Do the math, when he took over the district, that was the beginning of the downfall. Ask any staff member who has worked for the district for over 10 years. It used to be a UNIFIED school district. It is not anymore.

I make less now than when I started 11 years ago...but am asked to work harder.

Current Employee - Classified in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Classified in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I love the school I work at and the employees, parents, and students are awesome.

Cons

This district will eliminate positions and expect the remaining employees to do the job for no increased pay. No raises are possible because the superintendent mismanages the money. No room for advancement because of all of the lay-offs and unless you are willing to sell your soul and become dishonest and lose your backbone like the rest of the administrators. The "union" is horrible. They don't fight for the rights of the employees.

Try not to let the position go to your head and grow a backbone.

It has been a rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District

Pros

I can work when I want to. I have a wonderful supervisor appreciates me and wants me to succeed at my job. My supervisor finds me jobs when I don't have one for that day.

Cons

I do not get any medical benefits as a substitute teacher. There is not any summer work. There has not been a raise in at least 10 years.

There should be some sort of benefits package and salary increase for loyal employees. I realize we are contracted, however, you will always need a handful of substitutes everyday.

Elk Grove School District is a great district to serve.

Current Employee - Teacher in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District

Pros

- very professional, proactive district
    - colleague competence high
    - management is tolerable with many great principals
    - student performance is on the rise every year
    - competitive pay
    - great benefits
    - decent relationship between union and district
    - autonomy

Cons

- funds for public education are dwindling
    - no one appreciates the efforts, nor realizes what it takes to be a public school teacher
    - some schools have hostile administrator environments, do your homework

We need more lateral discussions/dialogue between high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools in their respective neighborhoods. These opportunities need to occur often and offer both learning credits and stipends so more stakeholders will attend.. It wouldn't be a bad idea to incorporate PTA members and local board members as regular agenda items for these meetings either.

Ok but don't make it a career

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District

Pros

good PTO and work/life balance

Cons

nepotism and who you know rather than how you perform on the job

promote from within and reward on merit- not longevity

I would recommend it

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District

Pros

good benifits, good vacation time.

Cons

yearly layoffs, pay freeze for two years, pay rate

Competent but limited-

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Elk Grove Unified School District

Pros

third largest district in CA, but my dept was limited as far as vision for the future

Cons

favoritism runs rampant, though has improved. used to be the good old boy network got you the job and kept you there. that has changed

be visionaries, look ahead and be more proactive. use good ideas no matter the source-
    don't just hide under a rock and then react when somone picks it up...and throws it.
    you did a good job of keeping jobs-but the next few years are going to be scary!