Elkay Manufacturing

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A postive place to work

Current Employee - Fiance Department  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Fiance Department in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

A relaxed yet very professional and dynamic environment. Management treats me as an equal and I feel my opinion matters. Tim Jahnke is approachable, I have worked at a company that I never saw the CEO but Tim will sit in the lunch room and chat with the employees. I have great co-workers and everyone is always willing to help. Management is encouraging and willing to help you grow as an employee.

Cons

The health benefits are getting expensive.

They are promoting personal development for employees which is great. Would like to have more flexiblity of work schedule. Having to work strictly 8-5 is very old school.

Solid company to work for, in business forever is key!.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

The company offers continuous challenging opportunities to keep its employees engaged. . Training is key to keeping your employees engaged and excited to coming into work daily. I'm glad to see that they put training as a priority for its employees as I was beginning to think that "employees are our most important asset" should have been stricken from our values as evidenced over the past few years

Cons

Benefit costs for employees continue to increase; the fact of meeting a goal for health or you have to pay a higher rate is not conducive to supporting it's employees. For some, achieving the expected goal due to pre-existing conditions may not be a possibility.

Stability would be good. We've gone thru so many changes in upper management within the last 10 years that you sometimes wonder what the real plan is. We are beginning to have more managers than worker bees.

Great people, doing well in a tough environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

People, direction, ownership and leadership cares. Good direction and communication. I enjoy the company

Cons

Participates in very tough markets. Don't be afraid to say no more often.

Keep communicating what we are doing and how we are doing.

Elkay Manufacturing Response

May 5, 2014Corp Comm

Thanks for your positive feedback! We pride ourselves in keeping communications open and two-way between ourselves, our leaders, and our employees at large. Glad to hear our efforts are hitting the ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid company with focus on their employees

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Great work / life balance, set in a culture that encourages growth.

Cons

If you're super ambitious this may not be the company for you. They're family owned and a bit risk adverse.

Keep it up, you know what your long term goals are and you are heading in the right direction.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Trade Sales Support Manager  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Trade Sales Support Manager in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

I worked at Elkay as contract employee. I found the work interesting and the employees to be top notch. I noticed there was no drama in this organization, or at least in my department. I found that refreshing.

Cons

The only con I can come up with is that I wasn't hired on as a permanent employee. They went with current employees for the positions that had 15 years of experience with the company. Can't really compete with that.

Elkay Manufacturing Response

May 5, 2014Corp Comm

Thanks for the fabulous feedback! We hope you have had great success in your career since leaving Elkay!

mid mgmt - corporate hq

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

I enjoy working with the people here. The pay is great, the benefits are great. We've spent a lot of time and money putting in some of the leading edge systems and some very forward thinking approaches to the finance function. I do interesting work, and have been given additional duties and opportunities in a very short period of time.

Cons

With our new home in the far western suburbs, my commute is pretty long. Everyone works pretty hard, and we don't socialize much, outside of work, other than the volunteer project we hosted with Habitat last month. There is not a lot of inter-department socializing.

Consider options like flex time, and find ways to up the fun quotient.

Solid Company financially that lives its values

Current Employee - Management  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Fair compensation and excellent benefits. Opportunity to advance. Challenging work. Great people to work with. Growing Company. Great values. Innovative. Opportunity to make a difference. Low turnover. Great social responsibility initiative through Elkaycares.

Cons

Not a deep bench in some positions for backfills. Some divisions tied closely to the housing industry and can be up and down.

Short but Fair

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Good Work-Life balance. Decent co-workers. Team at Savannah plant like family in a good way- very well run facility.

Cons

Instability because of economy. Has lay-offs when commercial building industry deteriorates.

Get some fresh people/perspective and try to retain them.

Good company in struggling times

Former Employee - Market Research Supervisor  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Market Research Supervisor in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Good benefits and education reimbursement.
    Good people and opportunity to work on cross department projects

Cons

New upper management changes not all good. Company stuck in a segment that is too dependent on the home building industry.
    Limited growth opportunity

Expand to different sectors and try to acquire business lines that add to the portfolio.

Strong company. good culture. Has shown its got what it takes to push through some trying times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Solid company values that people really strive to live by.
    Sales have grown even as the economy has eviscerated the industries Elkay serves. Hard to do... clearly doing something right.
    Good benefits.
    Talent is recognized. In a time of "managed growth" until housing rebounds, it's hard to expect instant gratification in terms of career growth. I have confidence that opportunities and rewards will come as the industry rebounds.

Cons

It's been a rough couple of years in the industry. This leads to a sense of "staying in one place"...a bit tough on a Type A person. I guess it helps to remember that the B-players in our market are NOT managing to "stay in one place"...they've shut their doors...

Stay in touch with the Values, and double down on them as the economy improves. (Especially the Value "Our Strength is in our People..."

Worked for Elkay Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!