Elkay Manufacturing

Elkay Manufacturing Reviews in Oak Brook, IL

Updated Oct 25, 2013

Timothy J. (Tim) Jahnke

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, doing well in a tough environment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople, direction, ownership and leadership cares. Good direction and communication. I enjoy the company

ConsParticipates in very tough markets. Don't be afraid to say no more often.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating what we are doing and how we are doing.

Solid company with focus on their employees

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work / life balance, set in a culture that encourages growth.

ConsIf you're super ambitious this may not be the company for you. They're family owned and a bit risk adverse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, you know what your long term goals are and you are heading in the right direction.

Great Experience

Trade Sales Support Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing as a contractor

ProsI worked at Elkay as contract employee. I found the work interesting and the employees to be top notch. I noticed there was no drama in this organization, or at least in my department. I found that refreshing.

ConsThe only con I can come up with is that I wasn't hired on as a permanent employee. They went with current employees for the positions that had 15 years of experience with the company. Can't really compete with that.

mid mgmt - corporate hq

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoy working with the people here. The pay is great, the benefits are great. We've spent a lot of time and money putting in some of the leading edge systems and some very forward thinking approaches to the finance function. I do interesting work, and have been given additional duties and opportunities in a very short period of time.

ConsWith our new home in the far western suburbs, my commute is pretty long. Everyone works pretty hard, and we don't socialize much, outside of work, other than the volunteer project we hosted with Habitat last month. There is not a lot of inter-department socializing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider options like flex time, and find ways to up the fun quotient.

Solid Company financially that lives its values

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFair compensation and excellent benefits. Opportunity to advance. Challenging work. Great people to work with. Growing Company. Great values. Innovative. Opportunity to make a difference. Low turnover. Great social responsibility initiative through Elkaycares.

ConsNot a deep bench in some positions for backfills. Some divisions tied closely to the housing industry and can be up and down.

Short but Fair

Engineer (Former Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Work-Life balance. Decent co-workers. Team at Savannah plant like family in a good way- very well run facility.

ConsInstability because of economy. Has lay-offs when commercial building industry deteriorates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some fresh people/perspective and try to retain them.

Good company in struggling times

Market Research Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits and education reimbursement.
Good people and opportunity to work on cross department projects

ConsNew upper management changes not all good. Company stuck in a segment that is too dependent on the home building industry.
Limited growth opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand to different sectors and try to acquire business lines that add to the portfolio.

Strong company. good culture. Has shown its got what it takes to push through some trying times.

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSolid company values that people really strive to live by.
Sales have grown even as the economy has eviscerated the industries Elkay serves. Hard to do... clearly doing something right.
Good benefits.
Talent is recognized. In a time of "managed growth" until housing rebounds, it's hard to expect instant gratification in terms of career growth. I have confidence that opportunities and rewards will come as the industry rebounds.

ConsIt's been a rough couple of years in the industry. This leads to a sense of "staying in one place"...a bit tough on a Type A person. I guess it helps to remember that the B-players in our market are NOT managing to "stay in one place"...they've shut their doors...

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with the Values, and double down on them as the economy improves. (Especially the Value "Our Strength is in our People..."

Family company gone corporate (not in a good way)

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay and benefits are very  good once you get to certain level, there are still some good people left getting things done but the number is dwindling with no opportunity for advancement with big talk no action / failed action management brought in from outside.

ConsElimination of long-term knowledgeable employees, New errogant corporate henchmen leadership, sacrificing of core values, Less personal, Environment that promotes people that do and say what it takes to get promoted instead of what's best for the company, lot's of employee turn-over, top heavy detached corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up Ron, arm chair leadership is disolving the foundation that used to be held as your most valuable asset - your employees

Steady Work Invironment

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing

ProsGood pay and work invironment

ConsTrend is to hire from outside

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan and give it a chance.

Worked for Elkay Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elkay Manufacturing reviews and ratings in Oak Brook, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Elkay Manufacturing CEO Timothy J. (Tim) Jahnke. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Elkay Manufacturing employees.