Elkay Manufacturing

They have great values

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Great people, talented and hard working

Cons

A lot of competing initiatives

They care about their people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is clear to see that employees are cared for by upper management. Benefits are great, pay is at or above what I expected, employees are nice, and I am challenged by the work I'm given. My team is willing to teach me whatever I want to learn and help me grow into my career.

Cons

The company is almost 95 years old so a lot of people are comfortable with the way they do things, rather than being willing to change them or make them better.

Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Machine Operator in New Ulm, MN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in New Ulm, MN

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is alright. The benefits are very decent. There is a good amount of job security as business seems to be ever increasing. This job has great potential.

Cons

The New Ulm facility is poorly managed. There is a lack of proper training and standardization. Most of the employees including those working in the office area are full of gossip and alllow this to affect how they treat certain people at work whether you're a hard worker or not. People who are consistently working at below average levels are given raises and opportunities simply because they are liked while others who always work hard and maintain quality will go unrecognized. There is a severe lack of feedback good or bad. After 6 months you get a review every 6 months except those are continually months behind.
    The office personnel makes a majority of the decisions of how things will run on the production floor without the input of employees.
    We work understaffed everyday yet more and more is expected of us.
    There is a general lack of respect from management/leads towards workers. Many things are not communicated to us even if we ask as they seem to believe if it's not imperative we know then we don't have a right to be well informed.

Listen to what your employees are saying. Stop placating us and actually resolve some of these issues.

Sep 25, 2014Corp Comm

Thank you for your feedback! We have taken this information to our Operations leaders, not only at this location, but for the region as well.

The local leaders in New Ulm have shared with us an
    ... More

Long hours

Former Employee - Finishing in Waconia, MN
    Former Employee - Finishing in Waconia, MN

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

The day goes by very long and slow, Boring. You work a ton of Saturdays. Don't work there unless your desperate.

Sep 8, 2014Corp Comm

We are sorry that you had this experience. Most employees are cross trained in different areas of making cabinets over the course of a year to ensure that they are staying challenged. This not only ... More

Good company, bad people.

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid place to work, if you dont mind factory style repeating labor. Has most of the trimmings of a professional factory.

Cons

Don't expect an ounce of respect for who you are at this company. I worked for them for 2+ years and was constantly battered for my involvement with the US Armed forces and ongoing operations in and out of country, Shift supervisors claiming my time spent on orders was "vacation" and that they didn't believe I was actually on orders at all at times.

There were times I literally had a shift supervisor waiting outside the bathroom with a stopwatch to "check" if I was using the restrooms in a "timely manner".

There is a clear lack of supervision and bias for certain individuals within this company, and newer workers are set up for failure because of this.

I was penalized for days missed while I spent time on involuntary operations with the USAR, and ultimately led to my discharge. And, I will add: During my aforementioned and highly illegal discharge, I was not represented by any member of my Union within the company, which is an added con to certain locations within Elkay.

Practice what you preach, and look into your Mifflinburg, PA location.

Sep 3, 2014Corp Comm

Thanks for your feedback regarding your experience here at Elkay…

Elkay has a long standing tradition of respecting and supporting the deployment needs of our military personnel, who make up a
    ... More

Bright Future

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Elkay is an organization that has tried new and diverse products and sales categories in the past. Phylrich, SSP, Quetzal, China expansion, etc. Not all have worked. But the take-away is that while Elkay is a stalwart of the Plumbing Industry it is not resting on its laurels and continuing to only sell sinks and watercoolers. The organization survived the downturn in good shape. We did have to lay off lots of employees - but who didn't? Since then we have hired hundreds (thousands?) back. That is a mark of a good company - and also matches one of our values "We are in Business Forever". The fact that Elkay is Family owned (and has family in management) is a big plus for the company's future.

Cons

We are a very 'complicated' business for one our size. There are parts of our business that are very, very successful and profitable, and there are other parts where we lose money. We don't act fast enough to address the money losing parts of our business, which brings down the overall health of the organization.

Continue to make the types of decisions that are in keeping with Company Values. We have great people - let them be great and challenge them.

Great company, great culture!

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People really care about eachother at Elkay. The family who owns the organization is phenomenal! There are very strong company values, and people really try to live them. At Elkay, there is not a lot of bureacracy. There is a great deal of employee empowerment. As an employee, you can try new things and make things happen - for real. It is the best place I've worked for being able to actually get things done without a lot of red tape. So.....fulfilling job, plus caring environment with great people, plus good empowerment level = great workplace!

Cons

This is the best company I've worked for thus far in my career!

Continue to promote strong employee engagement - the people have good ideas - make sure you are always listening

Commited to do the right thing for its customers and employees.

Current Employee - Market Research Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Market Research Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They encourage a strong culture and stand by it. Family is not just the owners but everyone as a family. You see good things that are done here that are long gone at public companies. They fight to keep jobs in this country when the industry headed off shore in mass.

Cons

A lot of changes in the face of a diffcult business enviornment that were of questionable timing and of questionable value to the company. Not afraid to try something new but not willing to clean up afterwards.

YOu need to grow more managemtn internally and not rely on outside talent to lead the company forward. Most don't have much understanding of the business and what is required to succeed.

A postive place to work

Current Employee - Fiance Department in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Fiance Department in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A relaxed yet very professional and dynamic environment. Management treats me as an equal and I feel my opinion matters. Tim Jahnke is approachable, I have worked at a company that I never saw the CEO but Tim will sit in the lunch room and chat with the employees. I have great co-workers and everyone is always willing to help. Management is encouraging and willing to help you grow as an employee.

Cons

The health benefits are getting expensive.

They are promoting personal development for employees which is great. Would like to have more flexiblity of work schedule. Having to work strictly 8-5 is very old school.

Solid company to work for, in business forever is key!.

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers continuous challenging opportunities to keep its employees engaged. . Training is key to keeping your employees engaged and excited to coming into work daily. I'm glad to see that they put training as a priority for its employees as I was beginning to think that "employees are our most important asset" should have been stricken from our values as evidenced over the past few years

Cons

Benefit costs for employees continue to increase; the fact of meeting a goal for health or you have to pay a higher rate is not conducive to supporting it's employees. For some, achieving the expected goal due to pre-existing conditions may not be a possibility.

Stability would be good. We've gone thru so many changes in upper management within the last 10 years that you sometimes wonder what the real plan is. We are beginning to have more managers than worker bees.

Elkay Manufacturing Photos