Elliott Company

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Yasuyuki Uruma

Great company to intern and work for!

Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Elliott Company as an intern

Pros-People are extremely nice.
-Open-door policy
-Lots to learn
-Very meaningful projects
-Weekly evaluations
-Weekly reviews of goals
-Respectful
-People have been around for a long time
-Manufacturing facility is within the same place, therefore you get to literally see it.
-I noticed they run a lot of classes for personal growth

Cons-They spend a lot of money on implementing ERP systems, but they don't put it to use.
-Teams don't always work super close together to streamline things to make practices more lean, which is costing the company a lot of money.
-Some people there are hesitant of change.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Ship without a rudder

Prefer Not to Say (Former Employee)

I worked at Elliott Company full-time for more than 3 years

Proscompany has new facilities, and some talented contributors on staff. Most of people there are positive towards work, and there is a sense of wanting to get things done. Many projects to work on, that will make you want to join

ConsIt's an "old guard" regime. HR there is understaffed, and has too many differing agenda's to be effective. Very Status Quo in mentality. Essentially, there is the sense of lets do this the old way as it's a union shop, but very little moving in forward thinking or practices. The labor shop sets the tone for the company vs the other way around. Company is hamstringed by non innovative thinking, poor Process mapping and less than forward ability to embrace change. Those who can make changes won't, and there is more captains on the boat than sailors. Diss em-plowered employees. This mentality will make you want to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that there is a sense of management knowing the only way to get things done and those who've been with the company in manager roles are keeping the company from really being able to grow. I'd recommend that they embrace a much more contemporary view of the world vs the old 70's view that is pervasive there and find ways to get people engaged. HR has issues.

Growing

Product Engineering (Former Employee)
Jeannette, PA

I worked at Elliott Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat Experience, had a chance to experience engineering in it's entirety. Lot of calculations, meetings, and time to walk through the shop. Great Facility

ConsSlow activity. I often didnt have much to do. Very little action taken to connect the interns to other interns.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting work, but poor management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Elliott Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany employees work only 40 hours per week, the location is convenient to many employees, and the work is interesting.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement, most positions are filled from the outside. Limited opportunites for professional growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are outstanding workers within this company, take a moment to find and reward them.

A great place to work with very nice people and interesting jobs.

I have been working at Elliott Company

ProsClose to home; free parking, a good variety of white and blue collar workers, decent pay and benefits, will be moving into a brand new building in the summer, good health and fitness programs, nice people in general, decent management.

ConsNot enough employees to do the job; many employees frustrated because they can't get their jobs accomplished due to outsourcing not getting their work done on time. Need to restructure with more employees.

Miserable and dreadfully boring place to work.

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Elliott Company

Prosit's a job. you'd be a fool to turn down any job these days, but if this is your only option, prepare for depression. it should be a last resort.

Conseverything about it is a con aside from the fact that it's a job. the management is poor, the expectations are high while the training is basically non-existant. Nothing about the way they go about anything makes any sense.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a look at everything, absolutely everything. Stop doing it the way you're doing it. Provide actual training and if you want your employees to every be even remotely happy, move the company out of the most miserable geographic area in all of the US.

Very slow advancement

ProsStable income, good compensation
Good benefits

ConsManagement has no idea how to organize the company- their efforts to change are making it worse.
Communication between departments is poor.
Supervisors don't understand what their people actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTony is a nice guy- I don't fault him. I think that people immediately below him need to look at the big picture and communicate with each other.

Old Company and it shows

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elliott Company

ProsTHe benifits are very good when compared against the other places I have worked. The area and for the most part the people I work with are very nice.

ConsThe Old guard here is very resistant to any type of change. While they are more than willing to share their stories about the job, it's rare when a new idea or solution is accepted

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to find a balance between the traditions and policy's of yesterday and the business needs of tommorow.

Elliott Company - stuck in the 1970's and way behind the times.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Elliott Company

ProsThe current leadership is trying to lead significant change and bring Elliott into the current decade. Recent Facility upgrades are a positive improvements.

ConsThere is a prehistoric culture within Elliott that is extremely resistant to change. The workforce is full of creative people with great ideas, however they are slow to act on them and implement. The reminants of a deeply ingrained "good-ol' boys network is still evident. The organization is stuck in the 1960's. With most of the workforce working their entire career for Elliott evidence of outside influence is non existent. Mistrust runs rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is trying to force too change too quickly. Allow the team to embrace change and learn how to change before focusing on "cost savings" Most employees truly believe the published cost savings are bogus and insincere at best. Allow changes to take place before moving to the next great idea. Reward improvement and attempts to make improvements. Management speaks of eliminating the fear employees have of speaking up and trying to improve. However there actions are contrary. There too much of a "what have you done for me lately" attitude directed at the employees who put themselves in the position of trying to make a difference. Decide if you want the same old "cost cutting" immediate bottom line impact actions that have eroded the organization for years or if you want true long term, sustainable improvements.

Old, strong, company with strong customer ties, but prehistoric management.

Marketing Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Elliott Company

ProsThe Elliott Company is positioned in a unique location in the global market; because most of its customers and competitors are international companies, and the US dollar remains to be significantly weaker than many foreign currencies, the Elliott Company boasts terrific earning potential and job security in all of it's business divisions. Certainly, no company can be 'recession-proof' but this company is posed to be among the strongest growers in Western Pennsylvania. The location is wonderful, surrounded by rolling foothills of the Appalachian Mountain range, and property values and taxes are very reasonable. This company is old; over 100 years, and is still growing strong.

ConsSome individuals may be apprehensive at working for a company that has been purchased as a subsidiary to a Japanese conglomeration company. The company's age is reflected by its employers, the average age of employees is over 40 years old, which complicates the process of excelling to senior management. Because of the age dispersion, the company carries a very 'old' vibe. Offices are quiet, cubicles are high, and people generally save most socializing for outside of work. This is fine for the family man, but for the recent college grad, it may be a bit of a disappointment when beginning a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheer up, act below your age, please!

Worked for Elliott Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elliott Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Elliott Company CEO Yasuyuki Uruma. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Elliott Company employees.