Ellis Hospital

Ellis Hospital President and CEO James W. Connolly
James W. Connolly

Support staff

I have been working at Ellis Hospital part-time

Pros

Easy access to people who wants to work within there community.

Cons

Training should be more structured and envolved

Doesn't care about employees

I have been working at Ellis Hospital

Pros

Many entry level positions
    Location(at least for me at the time)

Cons

Will work you to death and not care!

Don't be so snobby with your employees! Just because some employees are better at sucking up doesn't mean they can do the job better than those who do not play politics as much! I was lucky to be very well liked but I saw amazingly talented coworkers forced out or choosing to leave based on their treatment! Those who stayed where not used to there full potential and given lower ranking and less challenging (boring) tasks while employees who sucked up but where not sometimes even competent giving the more important and challenging positions! Often they either slacked off so bad or where just unable to even do the position forcing others like myself who is a perfectionist to do not only my own job but MOST of theirs! Sometimes I was forced to essentially do three positions at once! I ended up leaving because I would have to work myself to exhaustion skipping breaks, my lunch and even going to the bathroom! I left because I was concerned about my health and never had anytime outside of work because I would be so exhausted! I was not the only employee to leave because of this! I was one of many!

Very political environment, senior team interested in saving own careers

Current Employee - Director  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very dedicated employees; trying to do the right things every day although they do not see that same behavior in the leadership

Cons

The financial instability has made "job security" nonexistent. Employees joke about surviving another week of employment, whether management or front line staff. People are "laid off" monthly and their job elimination is never communicated to staff. People just disappear.

This advice is actually for the board. Clean house. Get rid of the CEO and the senior team. Save Ellis so it will be there for the community. The current leadership is destroying Ellis and no one seems to be noticing that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible management

Former Employee - Clerical Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clerical Coordinator

I worked at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers, doctors are friendly

Cons

Horrible management. Never in be office and when they are they not pick everything. No sense of team. It's all about numbers and not the patient. Doctors are over worked offices are understaffed, but it's all about getting those numbers.
    Also way to many different managers, we don't need a director, operations and leads... To many hands in the pot
    When complained to HR they did nothing to solve any issue

Listen to your workers, and stop gossiping and listening to here say. Remember why you got into the field.

ER Technician

Current Employee - Unit Support Technician  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Unit Support Technician in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays techs better than most area hospitals. Great team environment.

Cons

Took vacation days away. Policy says not to come in sick, but if you call in sick more than once in 3 months you get written up.

My experience working for Ellis Hospital was mostly positive.

Former Employee - Medical Technologist  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most people were very nice

Cons

Very large which made it sometimes impersonal

had to bring in a union just to feel respected and supported.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with excellent nurses. They all put patients first. They strive for excellence. Recently won overwhelming vote for a union. Desparately needed.

Cons

Bad management. new adminisrrator knows little about how the unit operates. New hires not even told what their job responsibilities are simply because management does not know. Fired all the managers. No replacements for most. Top administrator came during the beginning of the union talks and raised his voice and pointed his finger in a nurses face. no trust at all

Advise is to board of directors. Clean house. Get rid of top management. They are ruining your hospital.

worse place i have ever worked

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

union nurses pay decent, but union only helps with pay managment walks all over the union, treat nurses awful.

Cons

nurses are treated awful, hours changed on a whim, no respect for nurses. worked there 6 years, finally got too much. frequent lay offs of great seasoned nurses to bring in new grads to save money. . always worked short staffed, blame nurses for low scores when the cause is not the nurses it is the staffing.

Dream on about magnet status, no nurse retention, no magnet status. I will do my part so see you never get it, was treated awful there as a nurse.

2013 Ellis Medicine

I have been working at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You work with a great group of fellow employees.

Cons

Money issues once again have hit Ellis Medicine after the first of the year. The overspending and bad decisions seen in years past continue. However, in 2013 things seem to be particularly dire. Whole departments are disappearing. People are being laid off in dribs and drabs so as not to attract the attention of the media. Long term employees near retirement, who are losing a large part of their retirement benefits, are going in numbers never seen before.

But, as long as we can continue to subsidize health care in Clifton Park, the attitude of Senior management seems to be screw the long term employee.

Profit Before All

Former Employee - Director  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Ellis Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-decent benefits and pay
    -tuition assistance program (based on first-come/first-serve)
    -steady schedule

Cons

-management plays musical chairs
    -reputation and profit come well before employee satisfaction
    -management-heavy
    -management sides with itself in employee issues

Listen to your employees. I worked as a director at Ellis Hospital for many years and as time progressed, it become clearer and clearer that were select few people in lower-middle management that could get away with disregarding a Director's instruction in lieu of their lengthy tenure with the organization as a reason to not heed that Director. Some Nurse Managers (A6, former A5 'DJ') would suddenly go 'missing' when the time to address an issue came about regarding critical safety deficiencies, only to reappear a day later with a solution of their own, thereby totally ignoring a Director's instruction.
    Employee inservices occur annually, but absolutely no individual assessments conducted, meaning an employee could fall deficient in an area, only to continue to do so when the next assessment was up due to the manager failing to address and take corrective measures.
    You will alway be busy here, which is a definite plus, especially in the interest of impressing the Joint Commission; and when the Commission has completed their review, expect layoffs.
    Overall, not a bad place to work, but certainly not the best, and that is due in large part to management's insistence on keeping the same people in the same positions, or worse yet, trading one manager in one department for another in another department.
    There is very small opportunity to grow since the management staff is very tenured and doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. You can find the time to take additional coursework for masters (or for bachelors if a nurse has an associates degree), but be sure you're the one actually doing the work and not paying another employee to do so.

Worked for Ellis Hospital? Contribute to the Community!