EllisDon

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Geoff Smith

My experience at EllisDon has been nothing short of exceptional, EllisDon is an industry leader in all categories.

Safety Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at EllisDon

ProsCompetitive salary, benefit and bonus plans. Great co-workers. Huge knowledge database for all aspects of construction. EllisDon works on the biggest and most high profile projects in the GTA.

ConsField hours can be long at times but everything evens out in the long run

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great company but be careful with project team leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EllisDon full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities to work on challenge projects with the dedicated person. Great company culture and benefit package, excellent CEO to lead company on the right direction.

ConsPoor leadership and management skills of some project team leaders, overtime working hours without any pay, uncompetitive salaries exist at junior to intermediate level.

Great place, terrible management

IT Manager (Current Employee)
London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at EllisDon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, great people, good pay, good benefits

ConsLong hours for no pay, terrible work life balance, IT team is awful

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management puts a lot of emphasis on IT, and yet leaves complete idiots in charge

Just Awful!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EllisDon full-time for less than a year

Prosgood benefits (if you last long enough to get them)

Cons- low salary
- expected to work a lot of OT with no recognition and weekends
- sexist
- boy's club
- no one is willing to teach or help
- have to move according to where the project is - do not accommodate current living situation

Project and Corporate Interest Always Win Over People Development

I have been working at EllisDon

ProsThe benefits are really good, medical and dental. They are tolerant with the employee in case of pesonal or health problems.

ConsIt is not easy for an employee to get to senior management in case of problems. The company doesn't know how to utilize the employee's strength, on the contrary promotion is limited based on the weeknesses. Also, an employee could be allocated to a project in a role that doesn't contribute to his/her growth if the project so requires.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to really look into evaluating peoples' strengths and match them with the proper roles. Try to allocate people to positions that offer growth, and you can always find someone else who could find growth in that same position

A great company to work for

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at EllisDon

ProsThe people - from your coworkers to your managers. They really care about you and that's the primary reason why EllisDon is Canada's #1 Best Employer for two years running. You really feel that you are part of a company that you can be proud of.

You work hard but you also play hard and are rewarded in your efforts.

Pay is very competitive and benefits are great.

Geoff is an excellent leader and is the heart of the company. Keep up the great work!

ConsThere is ambiguity in how you do the work - you need to excel in this type of environment and you really have a personal driven to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and get through the recession.

good folk. good future. good stuff.

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at EllisDon

Prosreally good folks who work there. alot of enthusiasm and excitement about what is going on in the company and industry. s. management seem generally interested in the little folk. and although it sounds childish -it's actually nice to work at place where p.c.ness is frowned upon while manners are applauded.

Consnot alot of brain share going on because folks are either too busy or since it's 'old hat' to them they just assume everyone else on the planet knows. also it seems that there are two companies under one umbrella. one is the old guard who do things there way -damn it. and then the other is the young turks who are going to bust their asses to make whatever they do a success. and sometimes it feels these two companies are splitting apart at the seams. and i find it that since senior management is SO accessible that everyone in the company feels they have the god given right to challenge and discuss every bloody decision made. on the surface this isn't inherently bad but when folks who have the soundbite view of an issue are spoutting off about something quite complex -one can get the impression that the patients are running the asylum.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage interdepartmental communication!!!!!!!! and fix the damn a/c - heating in the office!!!!! nothing can kill a person's desire to go to work faster than knowing they are going to freeze their asses off for 8hrs while duplicating someone else's efforts who sits 10ft away.

Worked for EllisDon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EllisDon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EllisDon CEO Geoff Smith. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by EllisDon employees.