Ellwood Thompson's

1.5

Rick Hood

Sharing is Caring?

I worked at Ellwood Thompson's full-time

Pros

Health Insurance and other benefits are decent. Mostly lenient time off policy. Paid day off for your birthday ever year.

Cons

Very unclean work environment (mold/dripping sewage in common areas was the biggest issue.) Upper management is a total mess. A lot of the "values" are just for show (with a lot of lying to the customers.)

Meat Department

Former Employee - Meat Department in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Meat Department in Richmond, VA

I worked at Ellwood Thompson's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was decent pay, a quarter bin for employees which was always great, and they offered of paid time off even for part time employees.

Cons

There is a TON of drama within management. My supervisor was very unprofessional and was very passive aggressive. He told me several times that I allowed my personal life to interfere with my work life (I am a student), however he came in many times upset because of things outside of work and would have an attitude throughout the work day. He would tell me that I could get time off if I found someone to cover my shift and then when I did tell me I wasn't allowed to anymore to have that time off.

Also, when I got hired I told them I would have to take two weeks off for my wedding and I informed them that I was a full time student. They agreed and had no problem with this until my 90 day review when both were brought up and was basically told I wasn't as good as an employee as I should be because I wasn't completely devoted to the store.

Also a huge issue I had with the entire store was their two-faced attitude in regards to customers and the environment. Yes they do take some steps to help the environment, but not as many as you would think as a customer.

Actually do what you say in regards to the environment and sustainability. Invest into creating a culture of people that love working there and you might have less transition periods with employees.

So many ups and downs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance. Mostly really good people to work with. Works with school schedules really well. Pto for both full time and part time. Lower level staff are all pretty much family and a tight bit community all of there own.

Cons

Gross, falling apart store, equipment fails constantly. Hard to get a decent raise. Scheduled reviews but they are always running behind. This company does not reward loyalty because they will just get someone else and pay them less. Policies always changing. Never really know what's going on. The owner is an absolutely loony bin. He asks ridiculous things that never make sense.

Reward hard working people with decent raises. People that have been there forever need to be thanked occasionally. Raise moral because it is extraordinarily bad now.

Under paid and never appreciated!!

Current Employee - Steward in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your co workers are usually really easy to get along with. You get a discount, and sometimes really cheep products. They offer insurance and paid time off to FT employees.

Cons

The pay is very low for most positions, $8 /hr. Raises are promised, but you really have to beg you mngr for it when the time comes. The store owner gets stuck on micro managing as oppose to looking at the needs of his employees. The building itself is gross, leaky pipes, rats, roaches, it sometimes smells of raw sewage in the basement! They are not Eco friendly they only use that as a selling point! They do not care about there employees they only care about $. Many of the upper management have actually lied on employees to have them fired. Sexual harassment from many managers and department heads. They make sure you know and feel that you are very easily replaced. I would not recommend working for this company.

You say you care about the community, but if you did you would pay your employees, who live in the community, a fare wage, and stop catering so much to the wealthy. Or take that $10,000 raise the head of HR recieved this year and distribute it to the people really running your store, the hard working underpaid employees!

Most worst, unfair job of my life.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing lower base employees that really make the experience awesome.

Cons

The do not care how hard you work, they only care about money. They will literally work you overtime and justify it as not a legit overtime. Also, they make promises about raises, and then do not give them to you. They also, house management that continually sexually harass the women employees. They preach health and eco friendliness, but they provide in-organic produce and throw recycleables in the trash.

You are eventually going to get sued.

Great concept - poor execution

I have been working at Ellwood Thompson's

Pros

- Employees support the mission of the store and are VERY knowledgable

Cons

Management/Onwership is more concerned with profits than the mission