Elmhurst College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Resident Adviser Interview

Resident Advisor (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsGroup interviews, interview with future fellow RA's and Resident Life Coordinators, great support system and awesome resources to grow as a RA and individual

ConsThe point system, specially personal development. The hardest to fullfill

Overworked and underpaid.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers, beautiful campus. Close to town.

ConsUpper management is greedy. Their aren't any campus policies. There is no room for advancement. You are not acknowledged for doing a good job nor are you penalized for not doing your job at all. Complete inequality between Staff and Administration. Overall moral across campus was very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are the backbone of the college and care greatly. You are losing more and more employees due to morale.

Glad to leave.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation, good camaraderie, most students are very nice.

ConsNo work-life balance. Felt exploited most of the time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going downhill quickly

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsThe people you work with (not administration) are great and the students want to be there to learn.

ConsAlan Ray has progressively brought this school further and further down. Faculty, students, and staff are all extremely unhappy. Salary and hiring freezes for years to fund some pet projects. Lots of financial mismanagement and waste

Wonderful Place to Work

Residence Life Coordinator (Current Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsCo-workers, students, community, atmosphere, open, welcoming, etc.

ConsPrivate colleges don't typically pay as much as public universities.

Dropped Into the Private Liberal Arts

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsSmall school, close to Chicago, this school was more about location. There are a few bright spots in the school, like it's nursing and business programs. Culturally it was a nice place to work and the college took pride in developing a diverse community for students and staff.

ConsAntiquated facilities, low academic expectations, waring departments and a habit of clinging to past accomplishments rather than building new ones left this school in yesteryear. The rigor of the curriculum and admissions was often compromised in order to ensure enrollment and good student reviews, though that is endemic to many liberal arts schools.

Elmhurst students deserve better.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsThere are a handful of true professionals teaching here with real-world experience that are willing to share their wisdom, lessons and networks with students.

ConsSadly, there a number of jaded tenured teaching staff who are long past being interested in educating students. Parents and students should be warned that they very likely are not getting what they expect nor what they are paying a fortune to obtain.

Advice to Senior ManagementElmhurst students deserve better. If you do not want to be part of the solution, please step aside!

Good Community

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palatine, IL

ProsSupportive community
    Great educational benefits
    Personable employees

ConsSenior management is not always supportive of other employees

It was great place to go to school and a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Elmhurst, IL

ProsElmhurst college offers a great, friendly work environment. The hours vary depending on the department but usually are very good.

ConsThe main downside to Elmhurst college is the parking. Due the the number of students vs the number of faculty and staff, parking can be a pain if you work later than 7:30 am.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part you are doing a great job. Pay could be a little better, but the work environment is friendly and efficient.

Great student job

Peer Tutor (Former Employee) Elmhurst, IL

Pros1.) Good pay
    2.) Can do homework when not busy
    3.) Flexible schedule
    4.) Not too many hours per week...but not too little

Cons1.) College professors have unrealistic expectations for ESL student essays (their essays will NOT sound like a native English speaker wrote it, sorry to break it to you)
    2.) Students think we are an editing service

Advice to Senior Management1.) Better communicate peer tutors' role to student body
    2.) Inform college professors on the impracticality of trying to perfect ESL student essays

Worked for Elmhurst College? Contribute to the Community!