Elon University
www.elon.edu Elon, NC 500 to 999 Employees

Elon University Reviews

Updated May 17, 2014
Elon University – Elon – “Campus”

Great Experience and Relationships

Fitness Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsEveryone is very team oriented and works towards a common goal. It feels very much like a family, it's a lot of fun, and you get to see a variety of things.

ConsBeing paid every 2 weeks gets tough every once and awhile, and it takes a long time to get a raise towards an already low commission.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great School

Camupus Technician (Current Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsGreat Networking with people high up
    Small Classrooms to get one on one time

ConsConstant campus changes building new things

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistant with campus policies

Great place hamstrung by dated administrative practices

ProsColleagues & students, beautiful place to work every day.

ConsPay, vacation time, incompetent people left over from last administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the incentive plans.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent university with great support for faculty

Professor (Current Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsThis is a friendly community of teacher/scholar/mentors and a great place for staff and faculty in regard to the work atmosphere, perks and positive attitudes of supervisors and administrators at all levels. Definitely a wonderful place to work. Beautiful campus, well-appointed office spaces, attention to employee needs in regard to providing the training and equipment to succeed is outstanding. Great location within an hour's drive of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem and six hours or less from Washington, DC, Charleston and Atlanta. Three-hour drive to the Outer Banks on the Atlantic and a three-hour drive to the NC mountains of the Appalachian Trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

ConsIf you want to live in an overpopulated urban area, Elon is not it. It is located a short drive from urban attractions in a cluster of idyllic small towns in Alamance County. All of the shopping and dining choices found in a typical suburb can be found here - Target, Home Depot, Bed-Bath-Beyond, Kohls, Best Buy, Michael's, Red Lobster, Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden and dozens more - but there are not many non-chain restaurants, no local opera company, no pro sports right here, locally.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great school and excellent work environment. Students are passionate and senior faculty are open to help.

Programs Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsThis is a school to look out for in the future. Elon has become more and more recognized as a leading private institution and it is booming

ConsThere are not many cons about working at Elon as long as you're in a position you enjoy.

Great job for a current student

Student Worker (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule and great staff

ConsN/A The job is great

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Its a great place. Friendly atmosphere, beautiful campus

Studio Assistant (Current Employee)
    Elon, NC

Prosflexible hours, nice supervisor, great campus

ConsThe pay is kind of low but at least its higher than NC minimum wage

My experience was varied, ranging from feeling very stimulated to totally overburdened with work tasks.

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsThe university has a beautiful campus, there are many great colleagues, and the infra-structure in terms of computers, facilities, etc., is really good.

ConsElon University pays very low salaries, it demands too much of its faculty, and it asks employees to contribute $ to the university (!). It has a nontransparent process for promotion and tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better salaries. Create better transparency in promotion processes. Demand a bit less from an already overcommitted and overworked faculty. Just because people are involved in everything, does not mean they do a better job.

Overall Good Experience

Student Worker (Former Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsGreat culture, excellent staff support, they work extremely well with your class schedule. Pay was above minimum wage, which was great. Good opportunity to interact with professionals in the academic realm.

ConsThe office that I worked in was a popular spot for many students, however, there was not a clear division between work space and social gathering.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only advice I would have to say is to always make sure to let students know their opinion matters. Many of them won't know its significance unless you inform them.

I felt a part of a big family with an even bigger cause.

Media Assistant (Former Employee)
    Elon, NC

ProsClose-knit, opportunities to share skills and talents, work directly with other people, flexibility and balance at work

ConsI would have to say that there are not many downsides to working at Elon. Just that I wish I could have played a bigger role!

Worked for Elon University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elon University reviews and ratings. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Elon University employees.