Elwood Staffing Reviews

Mark S. Elwood

1. not bad got a dewcent temp job through them and fast

Current Employee - Elwood Staffing in East Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Elwood Staffing in East Layton, UT

I have been working at Elwood Staffing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

decent pay and hours are great, the staff seems kinda rude at time like when you try to call in one day

Cons

i havent been with them long enough to know the true cons yet but if i had to choose now itd be how rude one mananger was to me

2. Very rude staffing agents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Elwood Staffing

Pros

Get you a job fast.
    Training was ok.

Cons

Rude staff at the office.

They claim to care for their employes but in reality they don't.

Expect you to have all traits.

They play favorites with people.

They should train their staff to not get so emotional and angry (this is supposed to be a professional environment) I never felt comfortable talking to the staff every time I had a question about the job they would just dismiss it completely and if they did answer something they would answer rudely. I only worked for them for a few days and I'm not going back to this company is a terrible place to work if you're a young lady. I was so shocked to see how they treated people and how they treated me, they let everyone that does wrong and harass people go if you are a favorite or if they have been working there longer. Don't work for this company find another temp agency they honestly could care less about you, I did and I'm a lot happier now I should have known better where I'm from they have a really bad rep.

3. Low pay. I work as a caterpillar first shift assembler driving forklift and packing diesel engines. Labeling. Prepping

Current Employee - Assembler - Dyno in Franklin, IN
    Current Employee - Assembler - Dyno in Franklin, IN

I have been working at Elwood Staffing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy busy work. Great plant. Great people. Good safety rules. Lots of overtime

Cons

Low pay for working at caterpillar driving a forklift and basicly being the last step in remanufacturing process. 10.82 hour. Wow.

Pay .. Increase it..im looking elsewhere in the meantime cause this. CAT trained me forklifting so I have a cert.

not an ideal work environment

Former Employee - Staffing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Elwood Staffing full-time

Pros

touts customer service oriented
    touts work value

Cons

no good work family balance
    training non-existent but you are expected to be a master of all
    perks? what's that? that exists only for management
    Integrity? non-existent for management

internal customer service. don't be so focused on your external customer that you miss out on making sure your employees (internal customers) are taken care of.
    also, while you are in the business to make money, don't be so focused on the bottom dollar that you continue to have managers in place who treat their employees badly

6. Elwood

I have been working at Elwood Staffing

Pros

Fabulous people, corporate cares about the little guy

Cons

Sometimes some of the assignments come with very long hours

Great job

Corporate Culture Kills This Company

Former Employee - Staffing Manager

I worked at Elwood Staffing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were amazing and supportive. I worked as a part of a cohesive team that supported each other because if we didn't the stress would get to us.

Cons

I had to privilege of working for SOS Employment Group before it became Elwood Staffing. SOS had a supportive, a positive culture that took its employees' needs into consideration. Once we transitioned to Elwood Staffing, everything had to be done "the Elwood way" and it was nearly a 180 degree difference--in the wrong direction. Elwood Staffing claims to care about its employees, but it did not show it in its transition training. My office's trainer was offensive, flippant, sexist and disrespectful. He didn't care about our development and treated us like idiots if we didn't pick up the new programs very quickly. His dismissive attitude was not the last time I encountered ambivalence about feedback or support. The executives claim that they are there to listen and that they're open to changes, but I did not see that to be the case during my time there. My office's workload increased about 500% and we had no support--and no permission from above to hire other people to help alleviate the added stress.

Elwood's corporate culture claims to be applicant-friendly, however this couldn't be less true. There was pressure from all directions for us to quickly place people and to not focus on fit or anything else. If there was a body, we needed to place them, or risk feeling devalued if we didn't. The focus seemed to be on getting more businesses to work with us, even if we didn't have people to fill those orders--this just added to the stress. And the applicant process is insanely long; trying to recruit became a nightmare due to their awful website (which was always breaking down or giving people errors) and the long application/pre-orientation/testing process. Elwood Staffing's recruitment process was a nightmare for my office; we felt like we were drowning and we had little support from above.

I never felt valued by this company. I was valued by my coworkers, but that was about it. The corporate culture is atrocious. If I tried to ask a question of HR, it took days for them to get me an answer because they wouldn't know. I don't blame them, rather the awful transition that occurred with Elwood bought out SOS. And there was no transparency. When I left, I had been told I would be paid out my full PTO time that I had not taken. In reality I was only given a chunk of it because I was not considered a full Elwood employee for that long. That speaks volumes about what Elwood thought about its new employees. SOS employees were treated as "less than" and given no support or value after we were bought out. When the transition occurred, we were told our benefits were going to change and that we would potentially be paid less now that we'd be salaried. The message from the top was this: "we're the new owners and as of the new year, you're no longer SOS employees. You've been fired from SOS and you're now Elwood employees. If you don't like how we do things, you can quit." Receiving that message left me anxious and wondering how long I'd have a job. Thankfully they didn't fire me; however the stress of the corporate expectations, coupled with the lack of support and training nearly killed me. It is not a healthy environment or company. They devalue corporate employees and look down on associates. They are not people-focused, they are profit-focused.

Listen to your employees--all of them, not just the ones who've always been Elwood. SOS employees have heart and a lot of intelligence and experience so you should probably value them, too. Also, stop with all of the paper applications, tests and hiring documents. You are slowly killing the planet because you use an insane amount of paper--and NONE OF IT IS NECESSARY! You could easily transition to digital forms but you didn't because you're stuck in an archaic 80s system. Good luck with that.

8. Work hard for little pay

I have been working at Elwood Staffing

Pros

Local managers are very flexiable and vacation time is generous. Owners are approachable.

Cons

They expect a lot from internal staff with lower pay than competition. Corporate has no reality of what happens in branches.

View salaries of managers and branch staff. Quit taking stuff away.

9. Elwood Staffing is an excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Staffing Assistant in Elk City, OK
    Current Employee - Staffing Assistant in Elk City, OK

I have been working at Elwood Staffing

Pros

Elwood has so much to offer to their employees. Great pay and benefits along with an amazing staff around the US & Canada.

Cons

The only cons I would have to say I have is, there is a lot more to the staffing industry than I expected.

10. They helped me get into the position that I wanted!

Current Contractor - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Contractor - Administration in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Elwood Staffing as a contractor

Pros

They helped me get into a better position to further my career

Cons

No branch close to my location

Poor mans salary from a company with unrealistic expectations.

Former Employee - Staffing Manager

I worked at Elwood Staffing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They give you a decent vacation package when you start. 2 weeks PTO but no sick days.

Cons

This company will burn you out faster then any and not even batting an eye. They grossly under staff the branches and expect everyone to do the work of 2 people which is extremely stressful. The company itself is very cheap and force you to have to spend money from your own pocket to have things like water and functional office equipment. The owners of the company are very self absorbed. They say they like feedback about ways to improve the company but when you give it they reply with a generic response and nothing ever comes of it. By far one of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

Actively listen to your employees. Employees should not have to pay out of their own pockets to have water and fictional office equipment. Reevaluate your compensation packages if you want people to work the job of 2-3 people and set your expectations so high.