Elwyn

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandra S. Cornelius

A decent company to work for

Service Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

Pros-Flexible work schedule- work day can start between 7:30 and 9:00 and end between 3:30 and 5:00
    -friendly co-workers
    -relatively inexpensive health care- in comparison to other non profits in the area
    -mileage reimbursement for travel

Cons-salary increase not guaranteed every year
    -management sometimes out of touch with the day to day operations of Service Coordinators

It feels good to help a population in need.

ProsFrom my vantage point, the supervisors are flexible and willing to work with you when it comes to hours.

ConsI am required to drive a long distance to see my clients and am not compensated for the distance I drive. The only time I get reimbursed for fuel is when I have the client in my vehicle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe forms are in serious need of updating. Many of them are from the early 2000's and are missing critical information.

So sad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe woman I worked with

ConsEverything
    Sandy the ceo is arrogant and feels the need to have 2 secretaries while laying off many employees
    sandy and Dan, the CFO, each have large enough salaries while working for "non-profit" to have shore homes in some of the nicest areas yet refuse to take pay cuts in order to avoid lay offs
    Sandy and Dan do not appear to care one bit for the clients they are supposed to be rallying for yet care immensely about themselves
    Such a shame because I would NEVER recommend the placement of a client to any of Elwyns services because of what I was witnessed to
    There is also a lot of shady money dealings within this organization
    I would not only not recommend this company to anyone to work for but I also would STRONGLY advise against any charitable donations...they shut homes down yet the executives get a 450$ a month car allowance.. a little fishy in my book for a "non-profit" agency

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO that does not show signs of dementia and a new CFO that believes in helping others

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Expect the world of you but with zero pay and very little appreciation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to make a difference in the clients lives. You become part of their routine and you matter to them.

ConsOld systems, terrible disorganized management, terrible benefits, pay is unlivable and terrible treatment. Prepare to be involved in the blame game, when something goes wrong it's finger pointing all around.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart getting involved with the day to day to see what is really going on. Come out of your office once in awhile. Also, if you want quality work then start appreciating your employees.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great social mission / poorly managed

Finance/Accounting (Former Employee)
    Media, PA

ProsSocial mission - what they do is so beneficial to the individuals they serve and their families

ConsPromotion is based on seniority not merit
    Little training provided
    Older (age and philosophy) corporate culture

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change, embrace the youth and higher younger.

Great people to work with and for....

Residenial Advisor (Current Employee)
    Haddonfield, NJ

ProsThe work pays more than the paycheck ever will.....

ConsThe paychecks are small, but there is overtime to compensate.

Terrible company, worse management, black hole of a job

Program Specialist (Former Employee)
    Media, PA

Prosmany nice coworkers/ laid back direct care staff (program specialists) (although very few supervisors are nice and if they are cool they get the experience and leave for better jobs), free lunch sometimes but the food is terrible quality as they pay for the clients meals with their small disability benefits but you can eat left overs if there are any.

Conseverything else. a ton of favoritism (you will only get promoted to a manager position if you are friends/ suck up to with higher ups) terrible pay for the DIRTY, thankless positions (ie you will clean up human excrement regularly). you need a bachelors for many of the jobs although you would probably be paid better if you worked as a manager at mcdonalds. NOOOO raises which equals no motivation to work harder, poor morale, people are miserable. if you make complaints they are ignored. no loyalty to good/dedicated workers- all about money- they cleaned house of the whole HR department with some staff who have been there for decades- fired them all with no notice and told them they had till lunch that day to clean out their desks. replaced with new staff to probably save money. you will be subjected to 2nd hand smoke every hour on the hour as ALL of the clients smoke

Advice to Senior ManagementWow! higher ups really should be fired- they act like they are superior on this high horse I wonder how much they are paid, because it sure isn't going to the employees.

Lost Focus

Director (Former Employee)
    Media, PA

ProsBeautiful campus, they hire people with disabilities, and some people are really nice

ConsNegative work atmosphere and culture. Management is on the decline. Management takes the credit for good work and blames others when their policies fail. Their decisions are not based on the best interest of the clients. No people of color are in positions above the Director's positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so two faced. You are all so busy protecting your own jobs that you have neglected to care for consumers who are mentally retarded. You are supposed to be protecting them. Stop wasting energy covering up your mishaps and begin putting focus back on your residents. Care about your staff as they are the ones who are caring for the residents. Shame on you for pretending that you care about others when you only care about your pockets.

I miss working there!

Unit Director (Former Employee)
    Elwyn, PA

ProsGreat work environment, resident centered

Consunion controls make difficult to run properly

Advice to Senior Managementgreat place to work but stay away from Children's division

Lots of work for little pay

ProsThere is room for advancement if you have a bachelors degree. You can get a position in management even without much work experience.

ConsThe pay is not so good especially for how much work you have to do. You need years of experience to advance even if you able to fullfil the other requirements of a position.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower direct care workers. The quality of our programs depends greatly on them.

Worked for Elwyn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Elwyn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Elwyn CEO Sandra S. Cornelius. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Elwyn employees.