Embarcadero Technologies

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

Wayne D. Williams

Pros
  • There are some great people at the company that make the job bearable (in 5 reviews)

• Great location in the Financial district (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management lack professionalism (in 3 reviews)

• All upper management is in California and not very accessible (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Embarcadero has really re-engineered their model and weeded out a lot of employees within the past year. Great work-life balance. Plenty of smart, hard-working people working dedicated to making the company great. I was lucky enough to work with a truly amazing manager. I did not notice it to be a "fraternity environment" as others have mentioned.

Cons

Pay is well below market rate for most positions. Advancement is limited. There is a training program in place, but it is lacks structure and organization.

Focus on initial training and make it a more structured process.

Nasty Executives

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Downtown location. Decent medical benefits.

Cons

Evil Management, actively trying to screw people and be unfair.

Prior reviews are accurate. Suggest reading them before interviewing or joining.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good product that has some fans at customers.

Cons

long list...28% approve of the CEO? wow. Seems like older reviews say the same thing about sr. mgt. Wonder how he keeps his job.
    No growth of the business, just renewing existing customers.
    The world seems to be evolving, but things don't change there.

read the reviews from employees....

Great work life balance, I've recommended the job to several friends.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love my manager! Best Manager you can ask for! It trumps all the other little cons. I recommend a few friends there and would continue to do so.

Cons

Hmm, that's tough. I would say the quoting system it has way too many SKU's but once you get past/understand it's not much of a problem.

Align the marketing depts better.

Great products and wonderful people to work with. This is the best job I have had in a long time.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best developer tools in the market. Flexible hours and good medical benefits. The people here make it fun to come to work every day. You have to be a self-starter and tenacious in sales. There is lots of cold and warm calling, but you can make a good commission check if you work hard.

Cons

Base pay could be higher and more competitive with other sales jobs in my area.

Run

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart people. Great products! Innovation and technology are major drivers for this company.

Cons

HR is militant and selective about enforcing "company-wide" policies such as flexible hours and working from home. Employees are resources rather than humans. There is no opportunity for career advancement at this company. Benefits are poor. No annual reviews are conducted and few cost-of-living increases and/or bonuses are awarded. However, there are sure a lot of high-end cars parked in the parking lot for those with a certain title and above between 10am-3pm.

Get to know your employees and at least pretend to care/believe that they are dedicated to the same goals as the executive team.

Some really great products, but company vision is all over the place.

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally good people within the company. They have some really great products they should put more energy and focus on in order to ensure they stay great and get even better.

Cons

Change directions too many times as they have too many differing product lines that pull focus and energy all over the place. Focus on database tools or focus on developer tools; one or the other. If they insist on keeping both product lines under one roof, get rid of the duds and focus on the top performers. Give R&D the proper resources to focus on putting out a handful or so awesome products, rather than dozens or more so-so products. Invest in proper and creative marketing, and enable the sales team to be successful. The marketing and sales teams have had so much turnover in the last 1-2 years from management down to the reps, that its likely going to take quite a bit to get that going again. The new Austin sales office (and office of the CEO) has become a frat house. It is a shame and is embarrassing as Embarcadero is supposed to be a professional enterprise organization.

Products - focus on core competencies. People - encourage, support and build morale back up across all offices (in a fun, but professional manner).

This was the worst company I have worked for in my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The offices were in downtown SF.

Cons

Poor senior management. Lots of turnover. Many very good people were fired randomly. Lots of vaporware coming out of development.

Sales role not as described in interview.

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some great people at the company that make the job bearable.

Cons

I was told in my interview I would spend 80% of my time with repeat clients and maybe 10-20% of my time cold-calling on net-new business. This could not have been further from the truth. I spent most of my days there doing nothing but cold calling. The two main teams there sold ER software and DB tools. Both teams had very few warm leads coming in. We were lucky to get one warm lead per week.

The company has been in a transition from moving most of the operations from San Francisco to Austin, TX and the marketing department lost most of their talent. The new people in place do not seem capable of implementing any real campaigns to generate results. Webinars are basically the only thing that is driving leads and it is always the same people watching them that are just joining for educational purposes.

One manager is very laid back and usually allows his team to run their own business. Provided he is not in a bad mood that day. He definitely wears his emotions on his sleeve and you know if you should just avoid him for the day. The other is a bit loud and aggressive for my style and he is continuously in his employees business. If you are a seasoned sales veteran and do not want or need a manager that is consistently trying to call out on your deals, sometimes without letting you know ahead of time, you will not enjoy working here.

Training was being implemented but any sales training that I attended while there was very ineffective. There was never a clear direction in the training and more often than not, it turned out to be the sales staff complaining about what we needed to have in place to be effective rather than have an actual training class.

Quotas are almost never attained by anyone. Over three quarters I believe only 3-4 people hit quota.

The product is good but not always up to date. One manager continuously wanted his sales staff to talk bad about the competition and make customers believe our product was superior. However, some of the products were not up to date to work with databases that have been on the market for over a year. The company touts the number of R&D employees it has but they shouldn't. The product itself is nice and most customers really seemed to enjoy it but it is not a necessary tool. The tool is basically a nail gun to replace a hammer. So of course it helps people accomplish their job faster but it could be done with something cheaper. This is the case at least for one side of the tool set the company has.

I would not recommend a friend to work here. In Austin there are too many other sales and software companies that have their act together to waste any time with this company. Perhaps in a few years the company will be a better place when they have a better direction and better leaders. That is if it is not bought out before that happens.

Find sales training for today's economy. Sales strategies from the 90's and basing your sales skills off of the movie Boiler room is outdated and not practical with todays consumer. Stop hiring your friends for marketing roles and other higher-level roles that they are not qualified for.

Women Run Fast!

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money is all I can think of, sad but true...

Cons

Women are treated second to men, most men behave like apes, partying is mostly what they are interested in and not surprising considering the CEO.

Open your eyes, open your minds and train HR to be available and visible

Embarcadero Technologies Photos

The fountain before the opposite building
Smaller left building is the Embarcadero Iasi Office