Embarcadero Technologies Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
56 reviews filtered by

This was the worst company I have worked for in my career.

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The offices were in downtown SF.

Cons

Poor senior management. Lots of turnover. Many very good people were fired randomly. Lots of vaporware coming out of development.

Sales role not as described in interview.

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some great people at the company that make the job bearable.

Cons

I was told in my interview I would spend 80% of my time with repeat clients and maybe 10-20% of my time cold-calling on net-new business. This could not have been further from the truth. I spent most of my days there doing nothing but cold calling. The two main teams there sold ER software and DB tools. Both teams had very few warm leads coming in. We were lucky to get one warm lead per week.

The company has been in a transition from moving most of the operations from San Francisco to Austin, TX and the marketing department lost most of their talent. The new people in place do not seem capable of implementing any real campaigns to generate results. Webinars are basically the only thing that is driving leads and it is always the same people watching them that are just joining for educational purposes.

One manager is very laid back and usually allows his team to run their own business. Provided he is not in a bad mood that day. He definitely wears his emotions on his sleeve and you know if you should just avoid him for the day. The other is a bit loud and aggressive for my style and he is continuously in his employees business. If you are a seasoned sales veteran and do not want or need a manager that is consistently trying to call out on your deals, sometimes without letting you know ahead of time, you will not enjoy working here.

Training was being implemented but any sales training that I attended while there was very ineffective. There was never a clear direction in the training and more often than not, it turned out to be the sales staff complaining about what we needed to have in place to be effective rather than have an actual training class.

Quotas are almost never attained by anyone. Over three quarters I believe only 3-4 people hit quota.

The product is good but not always up to date. One manager continuously wanted his sales staff to talk bad about the competition and make customers believe our product was superior. However, some of the products were not up to date to work with databases that have been on the market for over a year. The company touts the number of R&D employees it has but they shouldn't. The product itself is nice and most customers really seemed to enjoy it but it is not a necessary tool. The tool is basically a nail gun to replace a hammer. So of course it helps people accomplish their job faster but it could be done with something cheaper. This is the case at least for one side of the tool set the company has.

I would not recommend a friend to work here. In Austin there are too many other sales and software companies that have their act together to waste any time with this company. Perhaps in a few years the company will be a better place when they have a better direction and better leaders. That is if it is not bought out before that happens.

Find sales training for today's economy. Sales strategies from the 90's and basing your sales skills off of the movie Boiler room is outdated and not practical with todays consumer. Stop hiring your friends for marketing roles and other higher-level roles that they are not qualified for.

3. Women Run Fast!

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money is all I can think of, sad but true...

Cons

Women are treated second to men, most men behave like apes, partying is mostly what they are interested in and not surprising considering the CEO.

Open your eyes, open your minds and train HR to be available and visible

Great experience, challenging but that's what I thrived on!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, best of industry tools used, and fairly good sales and marketing processes in place. Great Product Managers and Product Marketing Mangers who work closely to produce good content for marketing programs/campaigns. Good sales, developer and support teams.

I worked with some brilliant people and learned everything that helped make me successful in the market. As with any situation you have to eliminate the noise and concentrate on how you want to use the opportunity to grow and exceed expectations. I was thrown into situations that helped shape me as a profession. I would never trade the experience for any other opportunity.

Cons

HR seems to like to use intimidating tactics with their employees. Managers are ok with letting certain people in their team work from home (from time to time) but they are asked to not let HR know openly. HR seems to like to give people write ups as a punishment tool. Are we really in high school? HR is not friendly, you have to guess what mood they might be in before you approach them.

Quit hiring your friends for senior roles that they are clearly not competent for. Communicate clearly the objectives of the company and stop chasing different objectives, this derails the efforts of the company as a whole and makes it hard to continue on any momentum built.

Need to focus on making people successful and reduce churn rate.

So-So

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (certain departments only).

Cons

Very poor senior executive and board management. Company benefits are top tier focus. Old school management style. Teams work in silo mode. Very high turn over. Senior management lack professionalism.

Consider new blood into senior management (includes Board) to revamp company morale and gear towards a new direction. Company needs a turn-around desperately.

7. Rewarding job for people who know how to handle a challenge.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment full of individuals who have answered the call to meet the ever-growing demands of a "wild west" industry.

Cons

"I have to continuously learn new, technical market information and put in the extra effort outside of work to ensure a successful sale. Boo hoo hoo." ~ Obvious sarcasm. There a no "cons" at EMBT that you wouldn't find in every other job.

Hire more self starters and individual thinkers who don't have to be babied every step of the way.

Poor Management and Company Vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are friendly and know how to have a good time outside of work. Great team environment.

Cons

-Poor management and egregious management styles.
    -Marketing provides absolutely zero leads to go on.
    -Hitting quota is a rare feat even with the ramp up for new reps.
    -Innovation does not seem to be an option for Embarcadero. They are content to stick with what has worked in the past, however, that is not proving to be a lasting strategy.

9. Agile company looking to take a giant leap

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time

Pros

You are given the freedom and to contribute creative ideas and put them into action

Cons

"Vision" can change direction frequently

Take more risks.

Great products

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great database and developer tools

Cons

Bugs, regressions, pushes product out with new features instead of enhancing the existing features.

Stingy with the $, most people I work with have not gotten a pay increase in years, they've even made a company wide 10% pay decrease that lasted a year or longer. 401k match was just recently returned. Low moral of workforce; overworked and underpaid. Braindrain, many long time workers have gone on to greener pastures. Low moral.

Keep your talent and pay them what they're worth.

Nice people, confused management, poor salaries

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Embarcadero Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really nice people to work work. Very experienced and dedicated. Great location in the Financial district. Easy walk from BART.

Cons

The company seems to lack a cohesive view of what they want to be and how to differentiate themselves. They seem to simply be riding the wave of successful products past.

Determine a winning future strategy. Determine which products fit that vision and which don't.

Embarcadero Technologies Photos

The fountain before the opposite building
Smaller left building is the Embarcadero Iasi Office