Embarq

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Embarq President & CEO Glen F. Post III

Glen F. Post III

Great company, too bad they were "sold"

Project Manager II (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsVery professional, flexible with work/life balance, room to advance, great benefits, friendly co-workers and managers, tuition reimbursement, decent recognition, seemed fair. So many more to list.

ConsNot really anything bad to say other than the number of re-orgs which seems to be the norm. Re-orgs made sense however placed some in positions they were not qualified to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really. Since the company was sold and only a handful of employees remain at the "old" headquarters, it would have been nice to see the execs do more for the employees based in the KC metro area when it came to the sale.

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsCompensation, work environment, professional coworkers, work / life balance, high tech projects, work was evaluated in two categories annually (either you did the job or did not).

ConsVery political, constant organizational and process changes, departments don't work well together, not much opportunity for advancement if you're not on the fast track.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo

Good pay, absolutely no work/life balance

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)
    Carlisle, PA

ProsThey did pay well. Though based on their website they have dropped the starting pay rate significantly for the new techs coming in.

ConsExtreme micro-management and absolutely no regard for work/life balance. I was seriously told in the same monthly review that I was one of their best techs, my customer feedback score was excellent, and that I was on disciplinary probation because of my QA scores. My mistake was treating customers as individuals instead of following the checklist that often had nothing to do with the customer's problem.

You did not get your schedule until a week in advance. You did not know what days of the week you were working, let alone what hours. You could work first shift one day and second shift the next. It was completely impossible to schedule anything personal. And when you did get a day off, they would call you on your day off and demand you be there within two hours or risk losing your job. They did that to me once, when they knew I was going on vacation in another state. I managed to not get fired only after reminding them I was hundreds of miles away, and had informed them of this before I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that employees, and customers, are human beings not cattle. A little respect goes a long way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Acquisition

Manager PROG/PROJ DESIGN (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsEmpowered to manage your business and make decisions on your own.

ConsNo longer empowered with decision making authority. Almost all decisions no matter how trivial seem to have to be approved by the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to run thier business as needed. Trust them and pay them fairly.

Call center life

Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsWell the base pay was good and the commission was excellent especially if you were a good seller benefits were very-very good. Had all sorts of flexible time but only in the call center.

ConsMangers were never satisfied with selling only way to have a stress free day is if you sell early and meet the quota, managers preferred sellers who were immoral and added more to the sale to increase their sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell get rid of contracts lower your fees for long distance, also try to get rid of all the scam that goes on in the 3rd party charges.

Limited communication kills employee productivity.

Product Development (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsEmbarq is a very flexible work environment with a focus on achievement, not hours - meaning that management is open to flexible hours and time off for family issues.

ConsWe are currently going through a merger, and the flow of information about how it will affect jobs is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication and better coordination between departments at all levels would help people accomplish their jobs and limit unnecessary work.

Embarq still may be a good place to work.

Technology Architect (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsEmbarq has tried to provide a good working environment with good benefits. There are, of course, exceptions, however Embarq strives to maintain a high level of flexibility for its associates. Our benefits, while not the best, are very competitive and are often superior to other companies in the same industry and the local job market (Greater Kansas City area).

ConsOpportunites for advancement are very rare. It is not unusual for an ambitious and capable assoiciate to spend several years in the same position. I believe our leadership has missed a few opportunities to streamline and improve our internal processes as a means for cutting costs (as opposed to layoffs alone).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't carry unnecessary baggage (processes and applications) to the new company that will be formed after CenturyTel completes its acquisition of Embarq

Embarq Project Manager Review

Implementation Manager (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsVery flexible employer with a great work-life balance. I have never had an issue with using my vacation time or sick days. They also allow (most) employees the opportunity to work from home which is great. Several co-workers have shortened work week, or work part time. As a salaried employee they are very flexible when you need to leave work for a doctor's appt. or child's school event. The company has a good system set up for recognition of employees. Overall most people value hard work and recognize efforts of employees who do a good job.

ConsSome groups can be quite political and gossipy. Benefits were recently decreased but overall they are decent. There are still some employees who are lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the Senior Management take a good approach to the upcoming merger. Use this opportunity to eliminate the "dead weight" and promote those that are high performers.

Great Opportunity for Right Candidate

Real Estate Manager (Former Employee)
    Gardner, KS

ProsThe work environment is friendly. The location is great for people who live on the Kansas side of Kansas City. Rush hour traffic runs the opposite direction. Cafeteria left much to be desired. Co-workers were wonderful, but management seemed to always be busy and unable to provide clear answers. That said, Embarq had just become its own entity and the direction for the company was still undetermined. The majority of employees within the group are attorneys.

ConsCommunication with management can be difficult. As a former Sprint company, there is always the concern of a massive layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication, please.

Great company for experience and growth, not a place to stay long term.

Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Jefferson City, MO

ProsGreat benefits. Flexible scheduling when time is needed off. Great sales experience. Great oppertunity to make a lot of money if you're good at sales.

ConsThe customer service provided by the company to it's customers needs work. Irregular scheduling from time to time. Mandatory overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together. Don't change things every month. Customers don't like to be deceived. Bait and switch advertising just doesn't work.

Worked for Embarq? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Embarq reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Embarq CEO Glen F. Post III. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Embarq employees.