Embraer Reviews

Updated March 12, 2015
70 reviews filtered by
3.5
Frederico Curado

Pros
  • Good benefits, good internal trainning, good products, good facilities (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity, beautiful aircraft, great benefits, Florida living( (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very bad middle management, from a technical backgound without leadership skills (in 6 reviews)

• Manager is trying to push out Brazil and take over with automotive industry (in 5 reviews)

1. Educational

Former Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Embraer full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All of the bells and whistles you get with any large company regarding retirement plans and benefits. The Brazilians are, for the most part, very nice people who appear willing to do whatever it takes to overcome an issue or series of issues. The company has been around for years and is producing marketable products, look at their client list. Embraer clearly has the technical and engineering expertise needed.

Cons

I was one of the first 8 or 10 hired to the Melbourne engineering office, i.e. long before the new building was constructed across the street from production. I was hired to help revamp the 650 interior in an effort to make it more competitive within its market sector. I've been involved with VIP and VVIP aircraft interiors for over 20 years and of course this is why I felt I was made a member of the team. I was excited about the program and looked forward to providing the necessary assistance to get the ball rolling. Well needless to say, the ball never got rolling! Bits and pieces were dribbled to Melbourne from Brazil and there was no, I mean no, management of this data in an effort to make sure the work was accomplished efficiently if at all. We were literally left every day to do nothing or next to nothing as Brazil was completely reluctant to turn over any authority to the Melbourne office. Additionally, there was little to no communication infrastructure in place between the US office and Brazil, none! One just hoped to meet a counterpart in the Brazil office that he or she could contact as a point of contact there. My time with Embraer taught me that cultural differences are huge. The way that we do things in the US under FAA regulations are completely different than the way Brazilians work with ANAC in Brazil. And you'll notice I said "under" with regard to the FAA and "with" regarding ANAC. There's a difference! Those who have some familiarity with the two agencies and who they govern, know what I'm talking about. To sum up, Embraer US Engineering management is the worst I've worked with. Production was fine, they are managed by US passport holders who know how things have to be done in the US, the engineering office needs to be managed by US passport holders as well.

If you are going to run a company in the US to gain a foothold in our market, fine but research how things are done in our market before you open and office here. Clearly the FAA does things differently from ANAC and knowing that before setting up shop could have saved you millions! Also, if you are going to set up an engineering office in the US, research how it is to be run efficiently before doing so. This can be done by hiring/paying Americans who Know. Don't bring a Brazilian who doesn't have a clue! Trying to control and limit a US satellite office from Brazil is just asking for trouble. I wish all the best for Embraer Melbourne, I'm sure the deep pockets will overcome the hurdles at some point.

Disorganized Engineering Management

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Embraer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Embraer gives fair benefits. You have job security, because there's always more work than hands to do it. Engineering dept. specific: Reasonably relaxed work environment (business casual, jeans on Friday, salary, track your own hours).

Cons

The parent company is in Brazil. If you don't speak Portuguese fluently you'll be spinning your wheels more often than not. Little *real* growth potential when you already get paid more than your Brazilian counterparts but don't qualify or there is no opening for lead or management roles. Engineering dept. specific: Management is disorganized, non-communicative, or just plain short-sighted. There is no evidence of planning ahead. Projects launch without sufficient information, issues raised are ignored until inevitably delivery dates are missed, employees are pressured to "get it done now" instead of "get it done right" and the processes are ignored and this creates new issues and compounding delays.

Ensure following established processes is the *only* way to work. Import more processes, training, and standards from Brazil *proactively*, instead of each new product being fraught with surprises. Shield your people from criticism and pressure when things go wrong. Establish *more conservative* estimates of time and manpower, and never try to compress schedules when things are critical. The engineers in Brazil seem to avoid these issues. Maybe it's just their relaxed attitude and environment? But if your employees are stressed, they will eventually leave. Pay competitive wages and make aggressive counter-offers or you'll lose your best talent and repeat the "growing pains" with each new project. Your competitors seem to think I'm worth 2 pay grades above where I am now, and I'm looking at the possibility of a raise that is little more than inflation... Do I soldier on, unappreciated, under pressure, or do I at worst gamble on being in the same situation but with much better pay?

3. Aerospace Engineer at HQ in Brazil for 8 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São José dos Campos, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São José dos Campos, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Embraer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Considering the aero engineering companies you could work for in Brazil, this is the one and only bet (besides Petrobras -oil&gas business). There are other way smaller companies, but very unstable, and quite often fire the employees. The opportunities to learn there are endless, especially for a young engineer. The company offers transportation, and other benefits (health, dental insurance, etc.) It is a good place for a young engineer, but I would use it as a stepping stone for something much better.

Cons

In the long term this is not the place to be. There are engineers that work there for 20 plus years running the same computer codes everyday. Very depressing! If you want to progress in your career you will have problems. There is almost none mobility within the company. The managers and the like claim this is not the case, but I have seen many colleagues trying to change from one area to another, and could not. There is also a lot of internal politics. The company used to be owned but the government and was privatized in the 90s. However, the culture of being a state owned company still permeates the place, since all the current managers, directors & VPs are guys that started their career back in those days. A lot of them behave like bad public servants. Forget about performance evaluations too. They serve no purpose. Even if you are the best of your department there is always an excuse not get a raise. Training is also scarce, and only a few "chosen" ones receive the nice opportunities of training, going to conferences, etc. A lot of very good engineers wanting to leave when I was there. The company does nothing to retain talents. I remember a manager saying: "-If you guys are not satisfied, I have a pile of CVs on my table of people wanting to work here". The company still follows the failed practice that technical guys become managers, and do both at the same time.

Practice what you preach! Value your good employees!

5. excelente compnay with great benefits, but be carefull with people there

Current Employee - Stress Analysis Engineer
    Current Employee - Stress Analysis Engineer

I have been working at Embraer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good salarie when you compare with other companies in brazil and great benefits

Cons

you have to show what is good and stand pulling the head of the bag all the time to move up the career because otherwise you had been stagnant

you have opportunities for do trainningand travels , but it dependes what parts of the project

6. Worked within the Executive Jets division

I worked at Embraer

Pros

Good people. Quality in engineering and manufacturing processes.

Cons

Lack of leadership, particularly in Sales and Marketing.

Senior Management should be more open to new ideas and more pro-active in growing sales.

7. Good school

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in São José dos Campos, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Embraer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice place to work, with good flexibility, attractive salary and the opportunity of learning with high experienced engineers and also with the several internal courses they offer.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions. Sometimes your responsibilities get wider, but your salary don't.

8. Great place to work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Embraer as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, positive work environment, family atmosphere, international exposure

Cons

Lack of diversity, strict budget constraints and process flows,

9. Great. Could've bee[n better.

I worked at Embraer

Pros

Great Benefits. Great Name. Great Outlook.

Cons

Employee Growth. Middle Management. Employee Flexibility.

Ensure that your employee is a on growth track.

10. The best in Brazil

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in São José dos Campos, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Embraer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Several internal job opportunities, the best benefits in engineering market in Brazil, good flexibility, human

Cons

Very difficult to get promotions, salary is not attached to the career once the only way you get a raise is on the yearly adjust.

OK, but with some minors.

I worked at Embraer

Pros

Superb products, high technology, many horizontal opportunities.

Cons

As you go higher in career, if you are not a "manager" you may be seen as an "expensive" person. Reorgs are constant and management are not professionals. Very poor communication. HR doesn't exists.

Pay attention to employees. You are loosing future competitive capacity by loosing good people.