Emdeon

Emdeon Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Emdeon President and CEO Neil de Crescenzo

Neil de Crescenzo

Pros
  • people are great, great location (in 5 reviews)

• Very good benefits and employee amenities comparable to Red Cross or government benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of communication and too much political going on (in 3 reviews)

• No one is held accountable for what they do (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fulfilling Work but no bilingual compensation

Healthcare Representative (Current Employee) Port Arthur, TX

ProsI enjoy helping the patients and giving them a sense of relief when they more worried about the bill than their illness. The best part of the job is assisting patients. The tedious part is the paperwork. I am one of only a small few bilingual people in the building, so I am asked to interpret frequently, even though I do not receive any additional compensation.

ConsMy manager is not on site, so he relies on my coworker for some of his information regarding my job performance, especially in the beginning. She was not a reliable source of objective information.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with the individual employee more often. When an employee asks a question do not react as though it is a shock or they should already know the answer. The "training" I received on the job was less than sub par. It was six months of my coworker telling me what to do machine gun style, then dramatically criticizing me when I had not written down every utterance. She made me want to quit right away.

Director

Director (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI have a great boss who knows the business and takes the time to develop their team. Their door is always open.

ConsNew executive leadership needs to move more quickly to deliver on their promises of new products.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful not to cut so much that we go past lean and become anorexic with our staffing numbers.

Used to be a good company

Recruiter (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood benefits
    I enjoyed working with the people in our group

ConsWith a new CEO and new leadership there are way too many changes; it breeds a culture of change or get out - they should work on change management, especially since there are lots of changes going on both BIG and SMALL.

Senior management are paid excessively high salaries and the heart of the business, the operations folks, suffer because their pay is not competitive...yet they are required to have exceptional technical/customer service skills.

Difficult to grow in that environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more indians and less chiefs
    Value your good employees and try to retain them (not everyone is disposable)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot of uncertainty

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Nash, TN

ProsSome good benefits, possible to work with some outstanding, world-class colleagues (but there are few of them, and only if you can get into the right position and right mgr.). Solid reputation in health EDI, some enthusiasm about change (at least lots of talk about it) and new Mgt (but double-edged sword = caution).

ConsStill heavily siloed in IT, though lots of talk about breaking them down. So far mostly just talk and no action, and no promise that your job won't get washed away in the process, no matter how optimistic and supportive you are (outsourcing is defended even though recent attempts obviously failed in major ways). Company mgt. is new and very adept at saying what they think you want to hear. But that's where any hope of certainty and clarity ends - planning is all over the place, priorities not clear. Mgt. follow up and comm. are pretty awful. Message = Proceed with caution here!

Advice to Senior ManagementMost top mgt. is too new and too overwhelmed to offer much advice to. They are learning as they go, with unknown consequences.

Emdeon has it's ups and downs, mostly downs.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe best part of Emdeon is the people that work there. Somehow they maintain a familiar feel to each group in spite of all the chaos. Unfortunately their attitudes are being slowly stripped away in favor of do more or you are out of here.

ConsThe hardest parts of working at Emdeon is their management teams and total lack of accountability. As Emdeon gobbles up and tries to assimilate yet another company, the issues from the last one are never addressed creating a never-ending snowball effect of mismanagement and failed leadership struggles.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit protecting your management teams. For every one management level employee that is let go, they let go hundreds of non-management ones. They just don't get it. They somehow seem to think that their management teams are going to be the saviors of the company instead of the amazing people who actually do the work.

Implementation Analyst

Implementation Analyst (Former Employee) Donelson, TN

ProsThere was a good training program for the work I was hired to do. The staff employees in this area were willing to share their knowledge and experience.

ConsThe manager of the department was not an open mind person who accept employee for who they were in reference to skill set and abilities. I felt this person limited certain employee based if that person was liked or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper level management should be more aware of promoting a person to management, and look at all factors to determine if the person will make a good manager.

Advance ONLY if you're part of the good boys club

Business Analyst II (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGet to learn a lot about healthcare
    Great co-workers

ConsYou can only move up if you are part of the club
    They don't reward hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of management.

There is lots of vision and drive, but the infrastructure and culture are lagging

ProsThere really are a lot of exciting things happening throughout the company. It is a more recent development and allows employees to blur the lines between what previously had been an extremely siloed company.

ConsClear communication is still a major issue. Despite the stated goal of all BUs working together you often have to "check their work" to ensure they aren't trying to pursue their own agenda and are hoping that no one asks questions. The management structure can also be very confusing and there is no clear path for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can dictate culture, but it will only have a negative effect until you actually embody that culture.

Healthcare field

ProsGood, forward thinking company. Becoming a very communication oriented with new CEO. Employees know what they are doing and do it well.

ConsStill a little disjointed. New CEO is working on bringing all segments together, but divisions have been stand alones for so long there are some growing pains with integration.

Don't do it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot a lot of pros to speak of. Poor culture and treatment of employees. The 'favorites' are rewarded regardless of their behavior or value.

ConsThere isn't a whole lot of good to report. This was a horrible experience for a place to work.

Worked for Emdeon? Contribute to the Community!