Emerald Connect Reviews

Updated June 13, 2014
Updated June 13, 2014

1.9

Paul Peterson

Good company if you produce sales

I have been working at Emerald Connect

Pros

Commission and bonuses are good

Cons

Sometimes sales goals don't take into account day to day non-revenue duties

Keep best overall people, not just people who have been doing a specific job

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Emerald Connect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve worked at Emerald Connect for several years and am shocked by the comments made by these former employees. (I guess there’s a reason why they are “former.”) Honestly, very few employees leave the company willingly. If the company was as terrible as these reviews suggest, we would have a huge employee retention problem– yet over half of the company has been here more than 5 years!

As pointed out in other reviews, we have a great team. Each department employs talented, skilled, and friendly people. While the company is growing, it is still small enough that employees have a voice. My experience with senior management has been that they do listen and are interested in hearing ideas on product improvements, enhancements, etc. We have a terrific benefits package and good pay. Plus the company is stable which is a breath of fresh air. Before coming to Emerald I worked for another company that abruptly went out of business. I like my job, the people I work with, and the company. All these complainers look to be the bitter rantings of people who simply couldn’t cut it.

Cons

Employees must be willing to work in an ever-changing environment with shifts in direction. This can be frustrating (and at times a bit chaotic) but it’s the nature of the industry.

Frustrating

I worked at Emerald Connect full-time

Pros

This company has plenty of money and my paycheck was never in doubt. Pretty good benefits also.

Cons

Owned by venture capitalists and it is all about the money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Emerald Disconnect, Must Be an Introvert to Succeed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Emerald Connect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for industry, good benefits.

Cons

Here's a quick synopsis of Emerald in my time there;
    I saw a VP of Sales let go, a massive amount of money spent on a satellite office to house a new sales team of about 15+ people in an already saturated industry; that office was shut down and the sales manager and the entire team there was laid off a year later. At the main office we went through 5 sales managers in 2 years. The office was relocated (because the former founder of the company started his own competing company and surprise; theyre doing well and wanted their building that he owned back) and some departments were outsourced resulting in more layoffs including people that had been working there for 20+ years. And now the rumor mill suggests that maybe some of those departments shouldn't have been outsourced to begin with...

If you have the ability to come to work, do your job, and not get to mentally engaged in the atmosphere or the dream they sell you on, and you can avoid the terrible culture; then this is the job you should take for the paycheck and benefits. It's like a fast food job for adults, you don't put much thought into it. It's a company owned truly by venture capitalists who are interested only in the bottom line.

A company that claims it is a technology company, but doesn't follow common technology practices or support methods.

Former Employee - Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emerald Connect full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Creative group was amazing to work with and you can tell they enjoy what they do.

Cons

Most leadership was stuck in the stone ages of business management. They don't appreciate their employees & view them as replacable cogs

Learn how to manage your people more effectively by supporting them versus putting them down

Stay Away in working with and working for these guys!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emerald Connect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay is decent for an entry level job but most certainly not worth the hassle.

Cons

The product they offer is extremely out dated and difficult to sell. The only reason they're still in business is because of silly exclusivity agreements that a few big time companies that they signed up years ago.
    Since then, they've done nothing to really enhance their product. To bring their product a little bit current, they've tacked on all kinds of attachments and up-sells in the hope that you decide to buy those as well. A lot of their up-sells can be found standard by pretty much every other service provider.

The customer service department is an absolute nightmare. They're very easy to pass the customer around and point fingers. The customer is left in the middle of this with his problems unsolved and frustrated. The problem is; sometimes Emerald Connect is the only option they're authorized to go with. As a sales representative I can't tell you how many customers we lost because of our broken process and transitioning of the customer. This make things very difficult for the sales floor as well.

For the prospective employee:
    There are two groups of employees at Emerald.
    1. Those that have been there forever
    2. Everyone else

The employees that have been there are like a wolf pack. Their little red phones to the presidents office entails them to all sorts of silly privileges. They get the majority of the inbound leads (at least all the quality ones) and will do what ever it takes to get rid of you if you rise against them. They have no mercy on their peers, customers, and even their managers.

Heavens forbid you hurt someone's feelings. The over the top strict policies at Emerald are absurd to a level that not even a government agency or even the FBI would regulate their employees at this level. The poor HR person is always stuck in the middle of some of the most random complaints. I truly feel sorry for her because this company is far from being a united group of people working for one common mission. These policies have sucked the fun out of whats necessary to survive in this type of a job. Speaking of which, there's never any fun around here.

Many will assume that this is another review from an employee that had a bitter parting. Although this may be true; the reality of all of the above would never change. The firm that owns this company should consider making drastic changes. The leadership is broken, and it's pretty much a group of people that are just looking out for themselves and their own paychecks. There is no company that will overlook how broken and fallen apart things are from the inside. All it will take is several of their major contract holders to decide its time for a change and this whole thing is kaput.

Definitely pass if they offer you a job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emerald Connect full-time

Pros

You can probably meet some really nice people if you take the time to get to know them. The benefits are decent.

Cons

If you are someone who enjoys working hard and bringing new ideas to the table, you'll hate it there. Management is very old school and makes poor (and costly) decisions pretty frequently. They also don't care about employees. I can't tell you how many times the president of the company has started staff meetings with "all of you are replaceable." How inspirational! I'm only giving 1 star because I have to. I'd like to give it 0 stars.

Listen to your employees - they have far better ideas than you do!

Boring and back in time with technology.

Current Employee - Web Designer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Web Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Emerald Connect

Pros

Benefits.
    Coworkers are nice.
    VP of Creative Services was the nicest person there.

Cons

System used for websites is horrible from a web perspective.
    Old technology.
    No real communication between designers and application developers.
    Stale building.. no creativity.
    No fun.

Be open to new technology... or you will fail in the web industry.

Grass is Greener

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emerald Connect

Pros

-Good entry level job
    -Decent benefits

Cons

- Poor training
    - Sink or swim mentality
    - No recognition for innovation(I was told that I was not paid to think, but rather to make phone calls)
    - Rigid management
    -Low pay (I was 1# in my dept for both years I worked here, and never made more than 55k)
    -No loyalty (I was let go due to personality conflicts with V.P. of Sales, who was later laid off himself)

If you view sales people as a commodity that is easily replacable, you will never retain good employees. Good sales people will find greener grass. Shortly after leaving, I accepted a sales position with a company who embraces and empowers my entrepreneurial nature and pays me six figures a year for my contributions. Take it from me, the grass is greener.

This is not a place for recognition or experience. Don't expect upper management to have your back.

Former Employee - Emerald Employee Number: 000000  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Emerald Employee Number: 000000 in San Diego, CA

I worked at Emerald Connect

Pros

Great (non-upper management) people
    You will meet people who become your friends that you will never forget
    Flex hours and scheduling

Cons

Everything else.  But to sum it up cleanly:

·   Lack of communication

·   Constant cycle of throwing other colleagues under the bus because of convenience

·   Absolutely no recognition for milestones achieved

·   Denial of achievements on performance reviews

·   Complete lack of professionalism

·   Grim Reaper environment – always watch out for your back, you never know when what you think you’re doing to help the company, you will get backslapped and warned… or you don’t get a warning and get let go.

·   Fairness to employer is greater than fairness to employee – as stated by the president of the company himself at the company-wide staff meeting

·   Stalking HR

·   Lack of competent VPs, but who are somehow successful at suppressing their own employees at succeeding in their own careers

·   Incompetent President who has no self confidence and will take any competition as a PERSONAL threat

·   Absolutely no training involved – a sink-or-swim mentality

I was not from the sales department; I was in a different department.  Whoever is lucky enough to find this site and this review for Emerald Connect, you’ve been warned. As bad as the economy is, keep looking for something else. Because even if you take a position at Emerald, you WILL be miserable, you WILL be uncomfortable, and if you are as unlucky as many, many former employees, Emerald WILL fire you if they find an element to their disliking.  You WILL NOT receive unemployment and will regret you ever put this on your resume.

Keep looking and find another position.

Quit being so arrogant... You need to come back to the future, thats why your competition is burying you to the ground. And guess what? Economy is bad, but quit sticking your nose up in the air. It is not impossible for the good people that do good work to find a better job elsewhere and for better pay. You are not invincible. Take a hint, not offense. Humbleness applies to your personal life AND your work life. And google some of the most successful companies. Take a hint and see how they treat their employees. You always say employees are your biggest asset. Well, then, take care of it. This is all obvious and shouldn't be new to you.

Worked for Emerald Connect? Contribute to the Community!